DMN: A return to the Dallas Cowboys? Randall Cobb says there ‘could be a chance’

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cobb signed a one-year, $5 million deal with Dallas last offseason.
Dallas Cowboys wide receiver Randall Cobb (18) hands a football to his son, Caspian Cyrus Cobb, during warmups before an NFL game between the Dallas Cowboys and the Washington Redskins on Sunday, December 29, 2019 at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.

By Joey Hayden
6:57 PM on Feb 11, 2020

Randall Cobb signed with the Dallas Cowboys last offseason because he wanted to join a contender.

Fast forward through a disappointing 8-8 season, and Cobb will be a free agent once again after the NFL’s calendar turns to a new year on March 18.

After eight seasons with the Green Bay Packers -- under Cowboys new head coach Mike McCarthy -- Cobb signed a one-year, $5 million deal with Dallas. In his first year as a Cowboy, he caught 55 passes for 828 yards and three touchdowns.

Could a reunion with McCarthy help lure the receiver back to Dallas for another round?

“When it comes to free agency, you never know how it’s going to play out. But it could," Cobb said in a recent interview with USA TODAY’s Doug Farrar.

"You factor in all the different pros and cons to whoever’s offering and who wants you, and you find out where you’re valued, and how much you’re valued.”

The Packers selected Cobb in the second round of the 2011 draft. From 2011-19, Cobb racked up 5,524 receiving yards and 41 touchdowns over 105 games in McCarthy’s offense. His best year came in 2014 when he set career-highs in catches (91), receiving yards (1,287), and touchdowns (12).

“I love Coach McCarthy. He was the first one who gave me a chance in the NFL," Cobb said.

“He gave me a chance to end up having a great career in Green Bay. It was unfortunate what happened to him up there, but he’s got a second chance, and hopefully, he can end up like Andy Reid: Go to a new team, and find a way to make something happen.”

After two decades as an NFL head coach between the Philadelphia Eagles and Kansas City Chiefs, Andy Reid finally claimed his first Super Bowl victory earlier this month.
McCarthy won Super Bowl XLV with the Packers. Cobb was drafted a few months later.

A return to the Cowboys would mean another chance at a Lombardi Trophy with his former head coach.

“I enjoyed my time in Dallas, and there could be a chance I’m back,” Cobb said. "We’ll see what happens.”

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I can see things working out for a Cobb return. He likes McCarthy, McCarthy likes him. And he wouldn't have to quickly uproot. He had a good year but I don't see anyone breaking the bank for him. And if that doesn't happen, I think multiple parties would like a return. But, a free agent has to say 'free agent stuff'.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I mean the dude had his best season since 2015. That's pretty good and something I don't think he is likely to repeat anywhere else.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I mean the dude had his best season since 2015. That's pretty good and something I don't think he is likely to repeat anywhere else.
I thought it was a win-win signing and situation that worked well for both player and team.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Feh. Would rather have Beasley.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I like Cobb but he isn't a super high priority for me. This draft class is loaded at WR. There will be guys who go in the third and fourth round who will have legit impacts in the NFL.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I like Cobb but he isn't a super high priority for me. This draft class is loaded at WR. There will be guys who go in the third and fourth round who will have legit impacts in the NFL.
I wouldn't want to use either of those round picks on WR.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Depends on who drops, once we get that far in the draft I prefer picking bpa(within reason ofcourse)

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't want to necissarily but I'd rather use them on a WR and get another Gallup or better as opposed to a far less talented guy at another position. This WR class is so good that some guys will fall. So using Cobbs money to fill a different free agent hole and drafting a WR in the middle rounds makes more sense than doing the opposite.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Depends on who drops, once we get that far in the draft I prefer picking bpa(within reason ofcourse)
I can see that point, but I think we have so many defensive needs that there would still have to be value there.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Just trade those picks for Beasley. Problem solved.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I guess you can't draft in the third or fourth round for need IMO. Otherwise you'll never get great players there.
Equal chance at getting great defensive players there as great offensive players. And defense is the bigger need.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Equal chance at getting great defensive players there as great offensive players. And defense is the bigger need.
Not in a draft where WR is by far the most stacked position. At least I don't believe so. More talented receivers mean more guys fall at that position. Positions with less talent tend to get overdrafted by teams drafting for need as you suggest.

I guess what I'm saying is save money on Austin and Cobb and you may have nearly 10 mil to drop on a defensive player in free agency. Those guys can be replaced by rookie recievers in a draft like this.

Last edited:

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Not really, you're assuming the scouts are irrelevant and it's a crapshoot. I'd rather rely on the people we pay to find good players, especially since we don't have Marinelli and co. forcing us to overlook talent for scheme fit now

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Bottom line is getting a great player in the 4th is rare and I'd rather rely on our draft board instead of reaching for a certain position

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Not in a draft where WR is by far the most stacked position. At least I don't believe so. More talented receivers mean more guys fall at that position. Positions with less talent tend to get overdrafted by teams drafting for need as you suggest.
And you're talking about one position - wide receiver - versus every position on defense. It still doesn't add up.

I guess what I'm saying is save money on Austin and Cobb and you may have nearly 10 mil to drop on a defensive player in free agency. Those guys can be replaced by rookie recievers in a draft like this.
That's not the worst thing I've ever read. You've got a point there. But I can save you even more money by making the long overdue cut of Tyrone Crawford. This team shit-wasted $10 million of their cap on that turd last year. He should already be a distant memory. That saves you what? $8 million right there? I can get an actual starter for that.

Top Bottom