DMN: A return to the Dallas Cowboys? Randall Cobb says there ‘could be a chance’

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Not really, you're assuming the scouts are irrelevant and it's a crapshoot. I'd rather rely on the people we pay to find good players, especially since we don't have Marinelli and co. forcing us to overlook talent for scheme fit now
Not remotely true.

I'm stating the obvious. That there WILL be defensive players available in those rounds.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Bottom line is getting a great player in the 4th is rare and I'd rather rely on our draft board instead of reaching for a certain position
Which isn't what I've said at all. Unlike this talk of 'receiver', I'm not pigeon-holed into any single position. This team can use help at every position of its defense.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Which isn't what I've said at all. Unlike this talk of 'receiver', I'm not pigeon-holed into any single position. This team can use help at every position of its defense.
I'm not pigeon holing anything. I'm just being realistic. Maybe you don't see this receiver draft class the same way which is fine. But it's not hard to predict what positions are most likely to have talent left later in this draft. It's not totally random. If a draft has 20 receivers worthy of first and second round grades hypothetically then more receivers are going to fall to the third and fourth round with first and second round grades.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I'm not pigeon holing anything. I'm just being realistic.
Really? Because when you're totally focused on one position - wide receiver - that's exactly what you're doing. You're fixated on one position. That's the opposite of "realistic".

Maybe you don't see this receiver draft class the same way which is fine. But it's not hard to predict what positions are most likely to have talent left later in this draft. It's not totally random. If a draft has 20 receivers worthy of first and second round grades hypothetically then more receivers are going to fall to the third and fourth round with first and second round grades.
The scenario you're trying to present to support your argument is insane. "20 receivers worthy of first and second round grades" is simply nonsense. I can appreciate if you like this class, but let's not get crazy.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Really? Because when you're totally focused on one position - wide receiver - that's exactly what you're doing. You're fixated on one position. That's the opposite of "realistic".

The scenario you're trying to present to support your argument is insane. "20 receivers worthy of first and second round grades" is simply nonsense. I can appreciate if you like this class, but let's not get crazy.
Im saying your odds of getting a slot reciever in the third or fourth rounnd are a shit ton better than finding a top 3 corner in this particular draft. I'd rather sign a corner for that simple fact. It's not rocket science.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Im saying your odds of getting a slot reciever in the third or fourth rounnd are a shit ton better than finding a top 3 corner in this particular draft. I'd rather sign a corner for that simple fact. It's not rocket science.
No, it isn't rocket science. More like nonsense. Who's starting pigeon-holing a corner in round three or four now?

And when did "slot receiver" become anywhere near as valuable as a "top 3 corner"?

Your argument makes no sense. The only thing coming through is a wide receiver fixation.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, it isn't rocket science. More like nonsense. Who's starting pigeon-holing a corner in round three or four now?

And when did "slot receiver" become anywhere near as valuable as a "top 3 corner"?

Your argument makes no sense. The only thing coming through is a wide receiver fixation.
No your argument makes zero sense. You let Byron go you need a corner. You either pigeon hole corner in the draft or you sign one. Same thing with slot receiver. You either sign Cobb or you go into the draft with a need there. So you tell me, do you sign a corner or do you sign the slot receiver? I'm saying sign the fucking defensive players instead of pigeon holing your whole draft on defense like you seem hell bent on doing. Hell don't sign Cobb and if the draft doesn't fall where a reciever is best in the third or fourth round don't draft one there either.

You seem to be missing the point entirely. I'm saying you can only sign so many free agents. I'd worry about defensive players there over Cobb because receivers will be easier to find in the draft than most defensive positions.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And by the way I love Cobb. I'd love to have him back. I think he is a good player. But he wouldn't be high on my priority list.

Austin can kick bricks. Don't like him on offense at all and he did nothing on special teams.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
And by the way I love Cobb. I'd love to have him back. I think he is a good player. But he wouldn't be high on my priority list.

Austin can kick bricks. Don't like him on offense at all and he did nothing on special teams.
I wouldnt say Austin did nothing. He is very adept at getting hurt.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
No your argument makes zero sense. You let Byron go you need a corner. You either pigeon hole corner in the draft or you sign one.
Getting one or two corners in the draft isn’t pigeon holing anything. Certainly not the way you’re locked in on some 3rd or 4th round receiver. I’ll get my corners anywhere the value makes sense, not forcing things the way you are.

Same thing with slot receiver.
Nothing “same” at all. Top corner is not equal to slot receiver.

You either sign Cobb or you go into the draft with a need there. So you tell me, do you sign a corner or do you sign the slot receiver?
Which corner? How much? The same $5 million that Cobb cost? Again, NOT EQUAL.

I'm saying sign the fucking defensive players instead of pigeon holing your whole draft on defense like you seem hell bent on doing. Hell don't sign Cobb and if the draft doesn't fall where a reciever is best in the third or fourth round don't draft one there either.

You seem to be missing the point entirely. I'm saying you can only sign so many free agents. I'd worry about defensive players there over Cobb because receivers will be easier to find in the draft than most defensive positions.
You can certainly sign more cheap ones than you can expensive ones. That seems to be the point you’re repeatedly missing.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Getting one or two corners in the draft isn’t pigeon holing anything. Certainly not the way you’re locked in on some 3rd or 4th round receiver. I’ll get my corners anywhere the value makes sense, not forcing things the way you are.

Nothing “same” at all. Top corner is not equal to slot receiver.

Which corner? How much? The same $5 million that Cobb cost? Again, NOT EQUAL.

You can certainly sign more cheap ones than you can expensive ones. That seems to be the point you’re repeatedly missing.
I've never said we have to take one in the third or fourth round. You're the one who said you wouldn't take a receiver in the third or fourth round because you want to draft defense there. Which is silly. In the deepest WR draft we have seen in years you refuse to consider one.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
I've never said we have to take one in the third or fourth round. You're the one who said you wouldn't take a receiver in the third or fourth round because you want to draft defense there. Which is silly. In the deepest WR draft we have seen in years you refuse to consider one.
Because I already have receivers. And because I don't have the players I need on defense. It's not hard to figure out, you're simply smitten with this receiver crop, and feel as though we 'have to get in on it', it's obvious.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
You have to be willing to consider multiple scenarios and can't pigeonhole positions to rounds, everything is fluid in terms of roster building. If Cobb is willing to re-sign another 1 year/5 million deal, great, if he wants to play hard ball, let him explore what offers are out there.

If we let him go I'd be more than happy to take a guy like Reagor or Justin Jefferson in the 2nd, I might even move up 5-10 slots for one of them. If they aren't there, maybe a guy like KJ Hamler. If the value isn't there in the 2nd, maybe look at a Tyler Johnson in the 3rd or a Michael Pittman in the 4th.

You have to determine what value you place on Cobb and if he sees it differently then you move on and explore other options.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
You have to be willing to consider multiple scenarios and can't pigeonhole positions to rounds, everything is fluid in terms of roster building. If Cobb is willing to re-sign another 1 year/5 million deal, great, if he wants to play hard ball, let him explore what offers are out there.

If we let him go I'd be more than happy to take a guy like Reagor or Justin Jefferson in the 2nd, I might even move up 5-10 slots for one of them. If they aren't there, maybe a guy like KJ Hamler. If the value isn't there in the 2nd, maybe look at a Tyler Johnson in the 3rd or a Michael Pittman in the 4th.

You have to determine what value you place on Cobb and if he sees it differently then you move on and explore other options.
And you also have to consider keeping the player you have and adding to your roster or having to use draft resources to replace what you lost. Do you use a 2nd round draft choice to improve upon your team or simply to replace what you lost? And are you expecting a rookie receiver to give you everything that Cobb can or did in 2019? If so, good luck!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Because I already have receivers. And because I don't have the players I need on defense. It's not hard to figure out, you're simply smitten with this receiver crop, and feel as though we 'have to get in on it', it's obvious.
You only have recievers if you sign Cobb. No different then using Cobbs money on a different free agent instead. Like a defensive player that you want.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And you also have to consider keeping the player you have and adding to your roster or having to use draft resources to replace what you lost. Do you use a 2nd round draft choice to improve upon your team or simply to replace what you lost? And are you expecting a rookie receiver to give you everything that Cobb can or did in 2019? If so, good luck!
If you let Cobb go and sign someone else on defense with the money you're filling a different hole. You're just moving the hole from defense to offense.

I guess it all depends what Cobb is going to be offered on the free agent market. If you can get him cheap I'm all for resigning the guy. I still wouldn't write off reciever in this draft though. I think this is a draft where some really good ones will be available later on. Where other positions won't be as kind. I don't love the corners in this draft for example. There is some depth there but I think the early ones are being horribly overrated because there is one top corner and then a bunch of meh.

The funny thing is in the first two rounds I'm wanting defense just like you. To me you should be able to find two defensive starters there. In the third round and after it's hard to find a starting caliber player period. So I'm not locked into offense or defense at that point.

Last edited:

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
You only have recievers if you sign Cobb. No different then using Cobbs money on a different free agent instead. Like a defensive player that you want.
I suppose so, if you can find one that would fill that same need at that same quality for the same or lesser price, sure?

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
If you let Cobb go and sign someone else on defense with the money you're filling a different hole. You're just moving the hole from defense to offense.
And hoping that you get the same quality at the same price.

I guess it all depends what Cobb is going to be offered on the free agent market. If you can get him cheap I'm all for resigning the guy.
Same here. I don;t think someone is suddenly going to break the bank for a vet at the point he's at in his career. But if someone gets crazy? Adios! We'll figure out our slot receiver 'somehow'.

I still wouldn't write off reciever in this draft though. I think this is a draft where some really good ones will be available later on. Where other positions won't be as kind.
Yeah, you've made that abundantly clear. :lol

I don't love the corners in this draft for example. There is some depth there but I think the early ones are being horribly overrated because there is one top corner and then a bunch of meh.
That's a good point. Corner might be a reach in the first round, but not in the second. That's looking like the potential sweet spot.

Thanks for a good conversation and debate.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I suppose so, if you can find one that would fill that same need at that same quality for the same or lesser price, sure?
Yeah I'm imagining Cobb could get Beasley money or more if he wants it. But I could be wrong. 7 mil + could go a long ways towards a mid range corner or run stuffing DT.

Top Bottom