DeAndre Hopkins Released

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
For an NFL that is hungry for WRs there is something pretty fishy with Hopkins. Makes me wonder if there isn't an off the field something in the pipes.
I think the timing of his release and how much he wants is a bigger factor. Teams like the Chiefs and Bills have cap issues.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the timing of his release and how much he wants is a bigger factor. Teams like the Chiefs and Bills have cap issues.
Yeah I mean the Chiefs seems like a perfect fit for the guy outside of money. I mean he would instantly be their best WR by a good amount. Mahomes is great and I'm sure he can get by with guys like Toney and Skyy Moore but on most teams that may be one of the worst WR crews in the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I thought there was no such thing as ‘cap issues’. Especially for well run teams like the Chiefs.
That's why my guess is it's more than just money. Or the guy has injury issues we as fans aren't privy to.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's why my guess is it's more than just money. Or the guy has injury issues we as fans aren't privy to.
I think teams just don't think he has much left. He was never that fast, and now he seems to get even less separation than he used to.

Of course he's great at the contested catch and he shouldn't have lost that, but he does look slow compared to what he used to be.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I thought there was no such thing as ‘cap issues’. Especially for well run teams like the Chiefs.
They could do anything if they wanted to with Mahomes contract to get that done.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
They could do anything if they wanted to with Mahomes contract to get that done.
But you said they had cap issues. Which implies they couldn't.

Well? Do they or don't they have cap issues? MAKE UP YOUR F'N MIND!

data

Forbes #1
Perhaps ‘issues’ is too strong of a word. The Chiefs have cap entanglements.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Boom. True, if they really wanted to they could sign Hopkins. Any team probably could.

I think what's being pointed out that of the teams with the best cap opportunity to sign Hopkins, KC is at the very bottom of the list.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is the type of move that smart teams like NE make, assuming Hopkins is (maybe severely) undervalued right now.
Yeah except the Patriots just won't be good enough regardless. It's putting makeup on a pig for them but it may help them secure another playoff appearance. Even though I doubt it goes any further than that. Mac Jones is just so vanilla as a QB. Unless they built an elite defense that team isn't going anywhere.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
he now enters the stretch of his career where he's simply trying to hang on, like Julio Jones

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Vanilla Dak Prescott? :tippytoe
Not even close. We all piss and moan about Dak but he runs circles around Mac Jones. Imagine a franchise QB whose ceiling is maybe top 20-15 QB in the NFL. Mac Jones would need that all time great Ravens defense to have a shot in my opinion.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
He'll catch on somewhere once TCs ramp up, or the season starts (when contracts are no longer guaranteed). Or for a playoff run.

Top Bottom