DeAndre Hopkins Released

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It is not dumb necessarily as it does indeed create some roster composition issues.

Lamb, Gallup and Cooks are your three. A fourth WR is used sparingly and often as a ST/Whatever ala Noah Brown.

That alone is a reason why taking on Hopkins would strain our personnel packages across the roster.

Plus, there is the money, which is where it starts with Jones. He is not going to push those chips into the middle of the table.

It is just nonsensical to be upset at them not doing it. There are real reasons (in their world) that it isn't feasible.

What I'm saying is, the roster composition issues can be easily solved.

If you want to say money and cap space is an issue I get it.

If you want to say they can't sign Hopkins because they have lesser WRs like Gallup, I don't get that at all. Because that's all the "he doesn't play special teams" argument is. Get rid of Gallup and the issue disappears while also massively upgrading the WR position.

Last edited:

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
On balance, I'd rather have Dalvin Cook (assuming he becomes an option).

I'm thinking two cooks wouldn't spoil the broth.
We ain't going for the gusto, that just is not our style.

I will refrain from abusing you about the Dad joke.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What I'm saying is, the roster composition issues can be easily solved.

If you want to say money and cap space is an issue I get it.

If you want to say they can't sign Hopkins because they have lesser WRs like Gallup, I don't get that at all. Because that's all the "he doesn't play special teams" argument is. Get rid of Gallup and the issue disappears while also massively upgrading the WR position.
Describe their plan to get rid of him?

They have pretty much set their wheels in motion as far as that is concerned, both contractually and on the field.

data

Forbes #1
You’re a DFDC

It’s late May. Let them be in musth

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Describe their plan to get rid of him?

They have pretty much set their wheels in motion as far as that is concerned, both contractually and on the field.

That's true, and I don't expect them to do anything. But they could.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
When you use 3 WR sets your fourth WR actually sees a lot of playing time.

You're probably talking about one guy on kickoff coverage or some shit like that. You can figure it out.
The WR on special team thing is being phased out so much that eventually we'll get to the point where guys will have to be legit WR threats to make the roster. No more guys making it simply because they're yee-haw, try-hard players.

Too bad these rules weren't around 15 years ago. It would have saved us from wasting a high Day 2 pick on Skyler Green.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Noah Brown's ears are so ringing right now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Kickoffs literally aren't a thing anymore, I'd be surprised if we see more than 1.5 kick returns per game on average this year.

Punts are still there but just get some DB's to do what a WR would do.

I get it theoretically but the game is changing and it feels like old crusty coach speak to worry about how many WRs on your game day roster can play special teams when kick returns are going to be basically extinct.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
In all seriousness, it costs nothing to make the phone call.
But it costs something to sign him.

All of this theoretical stuff is not even worth wasting the time over.

Besides, when you have a developing talent like Jalen Tolbert, you don't want an expensive progress stopper.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Besides, when you have a developing talent like Jalen Tolbert, you don't want an expensive progress stopper.
You woke up in a bitter mood, didn't you?

ZeroClub

UFA

So are you thinking that given the contract situations of Diggs, Lamb, and Dak, it would be salary cap unwise/unworkable to sign another higher profile free agent?

Top Bottom