Dan Quinn hired as new Defensive Coordinator

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Still need some personnel upgrades. Jaylon Smith and the LBs weren't exactly lighting it up under Marinelli's scheme either.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

Cowboys Coach Tracker: Quinn Hired - What Staff Will Look Like
Dallas Cowboys Coach Tracker: Falcons Ex Dan Quinn Is Hired As The New Defensive Coordinator. What Will The New Staff Look Like?
MIKE FISHER7 HOURS AGO

FRISCO - Our Dallas Cowboys Coach Tracker .... keeping you informed as “America’s Team” makes coaching staff decisions ...

MONDAY PM: LAST WORDS 'Grace, Character And Brotherhood' ... Dan Quinn has come aboard on a three-year deal. Want background? Read here: "What Dan Quinn's 'Last Words' Mean As Dallas Cowboys Hire Him As Defensive Coordinator.''

MONDAY AM: QUINN STAFF? Dan Quinn's second interview (this one face-to-face) is occurring on Monday, and one of the topics will be the proposed makeup of his staff.

Quinn plus Joe Whitt Jr. (as the top defensive assistant, with a title like "passing-game coordinator'' or something) is the thought of many inside The Star. Whitt would take over the secondary, which was a failure under McCarthy's hand-picked staffers in 2019.

A potential obstacle: What if Raheem Morris gets the head-coaching job in Atlanta? In that event, Whitt could stay there as his coordinator. ... which could lead to Jason Simmons getting the "pass-coordinator/secondary'' job.

Additionally, there is a vacancy in Dallas at D-line coach. Ownership would like to retain Leon Lett in an assistant role. An interesting name if he's available via change in Atlanta is Tosh Lupoi, Quinn's 2019 defensive line coach and run-game coordinator. On his resume is a five-season stint at Alabama. Another name: Travis Jones, another Atlanta staffer who was also with Nick Saban back at LSU.

Certainly, Dallas is leaning toward a return to the 4-3 defense and to people to run the secondary who have experience as "teachers.''

We would note that while Dallas appears to be closing in on Quinn, a formal interview of senior staffer George Edwards has occurred. Details here.

Also: While McCarthy would surely like to keep Scott McCurley as linebackers coach, the front office will have a say there - and the availability of Sean Lee as a retired player wishing to begin a coaching career might as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hard to believe one coach could make that big of a difference but you're right. I still have faith in LVE but Jaylon Smith is a lost cause, IMO.
I don't have high hopes for it but I think it's possible a coach could light a fire under Jaylons ass. He needs a hardass coach who will take him down a few pegs. His physical talent hasn't gotten worse. He's just lost that fire. He is so fake now and acts like he is great when he sucks.

I agree on LVE, he just needs to stay healthy and get confident in the scheme.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I don't have high hopes for it but I think it's possible a coach could light a fire under Jaylons ass. He needs a hardass coach who will take him down a few pegs. His physical talent hasn't gotten worse. He's just lost that fire. He is so fake now and acts like he is great when he sucks.

I agree on LVE, he just needs to stay healthy and get confident in the scheme.
you cant fix the suck. Im usually an optimist, but Jaylon just looks lost and slow.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah just still not sure how he went from borderline elite to mouth breathing retard.
He was never "borderline elite". That is the reality of the situation.

The player I saw this year was an instinct-less retarded spaz.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Got paid syndrome.

The talent gap in this league is so small, that if you check out, youre going to be exposed. He got his money, knew Jerry made him a made man, so he stopped caring.
I agree, it's why he needs a coach to take him down some pegs

Top Bottom