Dallas Cowboys: Great time to lean on a 3-3-5 stack defense

p1_

DCC 4Life
by Reid Hanson

The Dallas Cowboys starting left defensive end, DeMarcus Lawrence, is out indefinitely with a broken foot. The Dallas Cowboys starting right defensive end Randy Gregory is out, banished to the RESERVE/COVID list. Dallas isn’t just without their two starting defensive ends but they are without their two best defensive linemen.

Next man up mentality says Tarell Basham and Dorance Armstrong have to step up. Basham, who’s started just 12 games in his four-year NFL career and Armstrong who’s only started three, aren’t exactly instilling much confidence that the Cowboys can get their first sack of the season this Sunday.

Facing off against a chronically underrated Charger offensive line that just completely stonewalled the best defensive line in football (LA had the lowest pressure rate in the NFL against Washington in Week 1), “next man up” may not be the responsible course of action.

By redefining the roles up front the Dallas Cowboys can focus on getting their best players on the field this Sunday

Amidst the heavy losses at defensive end, it’s time for the Dallas Cowboys to face reality and alter their approach. Instead of inserting unworthy players into starting roles, they should change the starting roles in order to get the most worthy (important) players on the field.

There are obviously many variations of the 3-3-5 defense but in essence the defense substitutes one defensive lineman for one additional defensive back. Dan Quinn has experience running looks like this in his odd-man fronts in Atlanta and in Seattle. Dallas has even employed some of these packages in the recent past. You can run “over”, “under”, or even “bear” fronts with the 3-3-5.

The Dallas Cowboys have the personnel to hold ground in 2-gap roles quite well, but it’s a stretch to think any of their substitute defensive ends can win consistently on the edge.

The 3-3-5 has been popular in college for quite a while but has yet to see heavy usage in the NFL. The reason it fits the Cowboys right now is the five defensive backs on the field means it’s essentially a nickel defense. And the Dallas Cowboys employ nickel defense roughly 75% of the time. Linemen often 2-gap in this look (with the NT in 0-tech) meaning the pass-rush usually comes from places other than the front-three.

This causes problems for offensive lines because defensive coordinators can get creative with where they send that fourth pass-rusher. It could be one of the three linebackers up the middle, it could be a linebacker on the edge, it could be a safety, a cornerback, it could even be two pass-rushers, thus constituting a blitz (I subscribe by the rule that it’s only a blitz if you send a fifth).

How does this help the Dallas Cowboys defensive line?

As things stand now, Dallas will have to populate their DE spots with back-ups. Against LA it was going to be tough to generate pressure even with the starting DEs in place, does anyone expect success with the back-ups?

That’s why changing the roles and having an undefined pass-rusher provide pressure from an undefined spot may be the best answer. By asking two of the three down linemen to 2-gap, Dallas can use their girth to occupy blockers. Carlos Watkins, Brent Urban, and Quinton Bohanna all have loads of experience 2-gapping. The third down lineman (think Osa Odighizuwa) can be used in a 1-gap end role, more focused on penetration.

At the end of the day the thinking is this: The Dallas Cowboys have the personnel to hold ground in 2-gap roles quite well, but it’s a stretch to think any of their substitute defensive ends can win consistently on the edge.

Some may ask, why not flip to a straight 3-4 defense since the Cowboys are so deep at linebacker? I answer that by saying it’s for the same reason we took the extra lineman out in place of a defensive back – pass-coverage is more important than run stopping.

Older football fans may not like to admit this but the damage sustained through the air is exponentially more harmful than the damage sustained on the ground. For as bad as the Dallas Cowboys were last year against the run, they were over twice as bad against the pass. That’s with full context too – the Cowboys gave up more expected points per play and at a higher success rate through the air than on the ground.

That’s why it makes sense that teams who have dominant run-stopping often have poor overall defense. Dominant run-stopping forces offenses to go to the air more, which inevitably hurts the defense more. Again, I broke the entire ting down in the article directly below (if you’re skeptical of this idea be sure to read it):

The 3-3-5 should be seen as just another nickel defense. Its biggest benefit is it complicates blocking assignments and muddies the waters as to where the pass rush is coming from – which is something the Dallas Cowboys tragically need in order to be successful.

Micah Parsons can be used as a chess piece in this. He can move around from MIKE to OLB and sent rushing the passer on either. He was far more successful playing the run and rushing the passer last week than he was in coverage, so once again, let’s focus on getting the Dallas defenders doing what they do best.

Instead of inserting unworthy players into starting roles, they should change the starting roles in order to get the most worthy (important) players on the field.

This doesn’t mean the Dallas Cowboys just shelve their even man front looks either. Defenses constantly change their looks up front and Dallas can still line up a traditional looking defense with Dorance and Tarell lined up as DEs plenty of times. It’s just about leaning on a new look that plays to Dallas’ strengths a little better. And I believe the 3-3-5 does just that.

Will teams be able to run on the Dallas Cowboys more? Possibly, but again, check out that “Must Read” article linked above and you’ll see that’s probably a good thing.

The 3-3-5 isn’t as crazy as it sounds and it’s only a slight change in what we’ve seen in the past. The Cowboys have the 2-gappers to do it and they have the explosive athletes behind them to let Dan Quinn get creative with the pass-rush.

The 3-3-5 defense will focus on what’s important (help in coverage and deception in pass-rush) and allow the Dallas Cowboys to play to their players’ strengths.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Charger offensive line that just completely stonewalled the best defensive line in football
After watching the Giants patchwork OL keep them at bay tonight, are they (WFT's front 7) what we thought they are?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
After watching the Giants patchwork OL keep them at bay tonight, are they (WFT's front 7) what we thought they are?
Probably not, or they aren't right now at least. If this is how they play all year they're barely even a top 10 group.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't believe so.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Probably not, or they aren't right now at least. If this is how they play all year they're barely even a top 10 group.
They can fix it though. Seems like such a waste if they can't.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Were they that bad?
I mean they went 7-9 last year with their DL playing awesome (against shit teams/QB's at least), they're definitely not at that level and if they don't get back to it I can't see how they win more than 5. If they get back to that level they'll win about 7, maybe 8 if things go right.

People seem to forget that this isn't a good team, it gets glossed over because they "won the division" but they were 7-9, were like 2-6 at one point, and basically only won games against backup QB's. Almost every time they played a good to great QB they lost, and at times just got flat out roasted.

So yea, if the only actual elite unit on their team doesn't start playing at an elite level they're going to be in a world of hurt.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I mean they went 7-9 last year with their DL playing awesome (against shit teams/QB's at least), they're definitely not at that level and if they don't get back to it I can't see how they win more than 5. If they get back to that level they'll win about 7, maybe 8 if things go right.

People seem to forget that this isn't a good team, it gets glossed over because they "won the division" but they were 7-9, were like 2-6 at one point, and basically only won games against backup QB's. Almost every time they played a good to great QB they lost, and at times just got flat out roasted.

So yea, if the only actual elite unit on their team doesn't start playing at an elite level they're going to be in a world of hurt.
I’m hearing that their D was warmed over shite last night against a patchwork Giants oline.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I’m hearing that their D was warmed over shite last night against a patchwork Giants oline.
More or less, yes. They weren't getting much pressure without blitzing and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down just like the week before, except this time against a much worse offense.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
More or less, yes. They weren't getting much pressure without blitzing and couldn't get off the field on 3rd down just like the week before, except this time against a much worse offense.
You know for all the athletic ability of their defensive ends, I didn't see it as Daniel Jones was running around.

• Props

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
After watching the Giants patchwork OL
I've seen the Giants and other NFL teams cobble together 'patchwork' OLs that seem to out perform our star-laden lines over and over again. Giants rode one of these patchwork lines to the Superbowl twice in a four year span.

• Props

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've seen the Giants and other NFL teams cobble together 'patchwork' OLs that seem to out perform our star-laden lines over and over again. Giants rode one of these patchwork lines to the Superbowl twice in a four year span.
Those weren't patchwork lines, from what I remember they had 2-3 borderline Pro Bowl types who played together for several years.

• Props

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Those weren't patchwork lines, from what I remember they had 2-3 borderline Pro Bowl types who played together for several years.
They were the furthest thing from that when they started out. We had 5 sacks in the second regular season Giants game in 2007.

But by the time we hit the playoffs they were airtight.

Funny thing how coaching and teamwork trump 'star' power every time.

Top Bottom