Dak Watch Thread...

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I can’t speak for everyone else, but I don’t blame Dak for anything other than trying to get paid like a top 5 QB when he clearly isn’t.

I’m fine with Dak as the starter, especially when the team can put great pieces around him. They can only do that if they have the money to pay the pieces when they need to.

If Dak had the ability to carry the team offensively and make players around him better, I’d have no problem with the asking price. He doesn’t and he can’t. Let his ass walk, trade him, or come to an agreement that makes sense. Just don’t cave.
Wholly hell, if Trent F'n Dilfer can win a SB, we can with Dak!

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If Dak had the ability to carry the team offensively and make players around him better, I’d have no problem with the asking price. He doesn’t and he can’t. Let his ass walk, trade him, or come to an agreement that makes sense. Just don’t cave.
How tf can you honestly proclaim that when he was stuck under gingerfuck coaching?

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Wilson is a better QB right now but let's not pretend like those early Seattle teams were built around him in any form or fashion.

They won the Super Bowl in 2013 and made it in 2014 on the back of Lynch, and more importantly, their defense. A defense that was an all-time, generational type of defense. If you think Dak was a bus driver in 2016 or 2018 then I don't know what you'd call Wilson who barely even threw the ball 400 times until 2014.

Sure, Dak rode an elite OL/Elliott in 2016 but Wilson rode an elite defense, one of the best defenses of the last 20+ years for that matter, and Lynch while only throwing the ball about 20-25 times a game.

Since the offense, and team as a whole, have been built more around Wilson they haven't made an NFCC and are 3-4 in the playoffs since 2015, and the only QB's Wilson has beaten in the playoffs since then are Stafford, Luke McCown and Teddy Bridgewater.

What Wilson has done with a shitty OL and so-so receiving options has been impressive, but I'd argue earlier in his career he had an even stronger infrastructure in place than Prescott did with the defense they had and Lynch, not to mention a competent coaching staff.

Put 2016-18 Prescott on those 2012-14 Seahawks teams and I think you'd get mostly the same result.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
How tf can you honestly proclaim that when he was stuck under gingerfuck coaching?
Tony was stuck in the same offense under the same coaching. He turned scrubs like Miles Austin and Laurent Robinson into household names. Miles was the #1 here for a moment and Jacksonville thought Robinson was worth a big contract based on his production with Tony.

That’s the type of QB you can pay and trust he’ll add to his supporting cast’s abilities.

Look at Dak without a true number one the first half of 2018. He looked like crap.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Tony was stuck in the same offense under the same coaching. He turned scrubs like Miles Austin and Laurent Robinson into household names. Miles was the #1 here for a moment and Jacksonville thought Robinson was worth a big contract based on his production with Tony.

That’s the type of QB you can pay and trust he’ll add to his supporting cast’s abilities.

Look at Dak without a true number one the first half of 2018. He looked like crap.
How far did that get us in the postseason?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
The one that shit's the bed in playoffs or go home games?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Imagine how much Tony could have done with a real coaching staff.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Garrett has become the all-purpose fall guy. A lot of people are gonna be disappointed when Dak makes the same mistakes under McCarthy.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Swap out Romo and Prescott for Tom Brady and let him play his career here under Jason Garrett.

I sincerely doubt Brady would have even a single super bowl victory. Maybe one if everything fell into place for him perfectly. He sure wouldn't be able to count on his coaching.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Imagine how much Tony could have done with a real coaching staff.
The one we had physically broke him. But that’s all in the past.

Dak is going to fing explode this year. Knock wood, but the stars are aligning.

If we get meaningful defensive production In the form of turnovers and key, New England-style stops In the right situation, we’re definitely looking at him shattering all Cowboy records and leading us deep into the playoffs.

So get him signed now, Stephen, while you can still afford him.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Swap out Romo and Prescott for Tom Brady and let him play his career here under Jason Garrett.

I sincerely doubt Brady would have even a single super bowl victory. Maybe one if everything fell into place for him perfectly. He sure wouldn't be able to count on his coaching.
That guy is an amazing competitor, but you’re right that he had an incredible, basically unique opportunity where he was.

He is the best ever, and played for the best ever. It’s a unique, once in forever type occurrence that just isn’t going to repeat.

Greatest all time coach meets greatest all time QB with the most non competitive division all over 20 years and 9 Super Bowl appearances. Insane.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
The one that shit's the bed in playoffs or go home games?
I guess. I’m not really interested in debating Tony Romo, he’s been gone for a few years. I’m more interested in the future of the team.

I will say one thing where Romo’s playoff misfortunes are concerned, Dak’s playoff career was in the process of turning out the same as Tony’s.

He should thank his lucky stars that Garrett was fired, otherwise he’d be remembered as the guy who couldn’t win in the playoffs who replaced the guy who couldn’t win in the playoffs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Wilson is a better QB right now but let's not pretend like those early Seattle teams were built around him
Put 2016-18 Prescott on those 2012-14 Seahawks teams and I think you'd get mostly the same result.
Wilson made critical play after play for that team as a rookie and over the next couple of years. His defense gave him opportunities but there were special plays each of those years I don’t think either Romo or Dak makes in similar circumstance.

The finish to the Green Bay game with the muffed onside kick was outrageous. Wilson had like 4 picks, but you had this feeling all he needed was time. And he made every play they had to have down the stretch.

That was just some of the most clutch QB play our league has ever seen. I know the D kept him in that game, I know it. But wow, you can’t script that ending with almost anyone else, starting with the two point conversion they had to have or lose.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Anyways sign Dak, save 5 mil on this years cap, save another 15 mil on Fred and Crawford, then sign Clowney.

Don’t play around with this opportunity. Go for it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
That guy is an amazing competitor, but you’re right that he had an incredible, basically unique opportunity where he was.

He is the best ever, and played for the best ever. It’s a unique, once in forever type occurrence that just isn’t going to repeat.

Greatest all time coach meets greatest all time QB with the most non competitive division all over 20 years and 9 Super Bowl appearances. Insane.
I'm a firm believer that he wouldn't have been the greatest ever if he wouldn't have been with Belichick and that system. A good to possibly great QB? Maybe. But not in the discussion for GOAT.

Coaching matters. A lot.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Garrett has become the all-purpose fall guy. A lot of people are gonna be disappointed when Dak makes the same mistakes under McCarthy.
We'll see with McCarthy. I don't think anyone is expecting him to be Belichick but I think it's reasonable to expect improvement over what we had. In the same vein I don't think it's reasonable to expect Dak to be perfect either. So if he's making "the same mistakes" (whatever that means) or all brand new ones, that's ok. It's still probably good enough, if the rest of the team and the coaching staff is good enough.

My guess is the coaches won't rely on out talenting and out efforting the opponents every week. That would be a good start.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We'll see with McCarthy. I don't think anyone is expecting him to be Belichick but I think it's reasonable to expect improvement over what we had. In the same vein I don't think it's reasonable to expect Dak to be perfect either. So if he's making "the same mistakes" (whatever that means) or all brand new ones, that's ok. It's still probably good enough, if the rest of the team and the coaching staff is good enough.

My guess is the coaches won't rely on out talenting and out efforting the opponents every week. That would be a good start.
Actually Dak doesn’t have to improve a lot for the season to be successful. What is critical however is that the rest of the team needs to get better/improve. The offense needs to be more consistent and the receivers need to quickly get in sync. The defense needs to be more consistent especially in the secondary. If these things can occur as a result of McCarthys tenure then Dallas will have a good season. I hope Dak continues his trends and that will be added topping on the ice cream .

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I'm a firm believer that he wouldn't have been the greatest ever if he wouldn't have been with Belichick and that system. A good to possibly great QB? Maybe. But not in the discussion for GOAT.
Same here. I really wish the Pats had let him go a few years ago like Belichick wanted when he was younger and the Pats had a good QB in house so we'd have a better idea about that.

I'm still fascinated to see how this plays out this year even as Brady is declining and Belichick doesn't seem to have a QB.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

People who expect perfection from a QB will always be disappointed. Mahomes is sort of the standard answer for best QB in the NFL right now but if you watch him play he makes mistakes sometimes. He misses some throws sometimes. So even the best do it. You can't expect Dak isn't going to make mistakes. He isn't as good as Mahomes so I think people need to at least be realistic about what they expect from a QB.

Top Bottom