Dak Prescott scoffs at Tom Brady discount: I’m not married to Gisele

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

Don’t look for Dak Prescott to take a team friendly deal like Tom Brady. There is one major difference between the two off the field: their significant others.

“Nobody’s wife makes as much money as his wife does either,” Prescott told USA Today, referring to supermodel Gisele Bündchen. “When Tom Brady isn’t the breadwinner in the home, then that’s a great problem to have.

“So in that case, he can do that. He can do his contract however you want to do it.”

Bündchen earned $10 million in 2018 and $17.5 million in 2017, according to USA Today.

The Cowboys quarterback will be looking for a contract extension soon, and he’s heard plenty of opinions on what he deserves after leading Dallas to two NFC East crowns in his first three seasons. Prescott, as a 2016 fourth-round pick, counted just $725,848 in 2018 against the salary cap. That was ranked 55th among quarterbacks.

“People are going to question and I want them to,” he said. “I don’t care. I am here where I am today because of the people always saying what I couldn’t or could do.

“It’s almost comical sometimes. If I hear it or allow myself to get involved in the talk, sometimes it’s comical. But I just keep going out there and just doing what I know I can do best.”

-- NY Post

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Hmm... I'm not down with a mega deal, I think it's a bad idea. But what choice do we have? Guess he gets his big payday

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Even Andy Dalton gets around 16 mill per year, so the leader of men is going to get paid, without a doubt.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I don't blame him a bit for wanting to get every last dime he can.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I agree that he's up for a raise commensurate with his on field performance, it's due. He was a mid round draft pick and nobody saw him even competing for a starting job when he was drafted so he *has* been a bargain. But...

While I can't stand him and regardless of who he's married to or how much she's worth, Prescott shouldn't even mention himself in the same breath as Brady in any context. Regardless of how you spin it, he's a midlevel quarterback who wouldn't have had the W/L record he has had so far without a solid defense and this past year, the Amari Cooper trade. He also had one of the best OLs in the league covering his butt his first two out of three years and a future HOF TE as a safety valve.

I would be okay with a contract in the mid teens with performance based incentives. I just don't want this team handcuffed to the guy when there are other players who have earned a big payday. JMO.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't blame him a bit for wanting to get every last dime he can.
Absolutely. You get it when you can because there is never any guarantees for a long future in this league.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I would be okay with a contract in the mid teens
That's not going to happen. My guess would be 20 mill per on the low end.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah it's just not realistic. I think some people think Dak is Blake Bortles or something. If that's the number you're ok with than you might as well just start planning on drafting a new QB now and forget about extending Dak.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I know it's not realistic, I just don't think he's worth $20M a year. However, I also know there's next to no chance of this team spending anything but a lower level pick on a QB. I think the highest this team has drafted a QB after Troy was Quinthy in 2001.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yep, I would even say 25 might be the low end. Flacco and Alex Smith make more than 20, and they signed their deals a few years ago.

Add in the natural inflation that happens with contracts plus Jerry celebrating paying his own players big deals and 25 might be too low a baseline.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That would actually be pleasantly low.

He is going to go after Matt Ryan dollars at $30M. And thanks to Jerry Jones all but saying out loud he was going to get paid outrageous money, that might just be a starting point.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
As a passer, the guy is nowhere near Matt Ryan. Or any other elite QB in the league. I admire his tenacity and "team" attitude. But I'm really concerned Jerry is about to financially handcuff this team to a QB who is above average at best. A 5-7 year deal drags on while we watch good/really good/franchise type guys come out of the draft. Maybe I'm not giving Dak his due, but IMO this is dangerous.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a passer, the guy is nowhere near Matt Ryan. Or any other elite QB in the league. I admire his tenacity and "team" attitude. But I'm really concerned Jerry is about to financially handcuff this team to a QB who is above average at best. A 5-7 year deal drags on while we watch good/really good/franchise type guys come out of the draft. Maybe I'm not giving Dak his due, but IMO this is dangerous.
And yet Dak's career QB rating is better than Matt Ryan's and he wins you more games. I guess it all depends what your priorities are in a QB. And lets not pretend that Daks cheap contract has allowed us to dip into free agency and build a bunch of talent around him. We've drafted all of our talent just like we will continue to do.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
And yet Dak's career QB rating is better than Matt Ryan's and he wins you more games. I guess it all depends what your priorities are in a QB. And lets not pretend that Daks cheap contract has allowed us to dip into free agency and build a bunch of talent around him. We've drafted all of our talent just like we will continue to do.
A competent GM would have taken some money and plugged in a couple difference makers in FA, and that may have gotten the Cowboys over the hump in the last couple playoff games of Daks young career.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
A competent GM would have taken some money and plugged in a couple difference makers in FA, and that may have gotten the Cowboys over the hump in the last couple playoff games of Daks young career.
It's true, we were busy making sure to be frugal. We could always pull the old credit card back out but I doubt we will. We just don't get involved in free agency anymore.

Top Bottom