Dak Injury Update Thread

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think its more of a statistics term
Possibly so. It may as well have been Latin. I just never was exposed to in in any context until recently. Wait, does that make me an outlier?

• Props
Reactions: p1_

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Possibly so. It may as well have been Latin. I just never was exposed to in in any context until recently. Wait, does that make me an outlier?
Didn't we already have this conversation? And, yes, you are. lol. The words are close in meaning.Very possible no one has used the word round you.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
This is Alex Smith, just located in the ankle. This is serious.
Darren Sproles had the same injury his 2nd year in the league with a few reports saying his was likely worse than Daks-and he went on career wise and never had an issue.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Darren Sproles had the same injury his 2nd year in the league with a few reports saying his was likely worse than Daks-and he went on career wise and never had an issue.
Dak will be fine but it sucks that we have to wait until next year to have any hope.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Dak will be fine but it sucks that we have to wait until next year to have any hope.
well to be honest it wouldnt be any difference if Dak was playing.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dalton is about as good as you're going to get. As far as his backup it's not worth wasting resources on to get someone better. Let the young guy learn and play.

Plus if Dalton does good this year he is going to be gone in the offseason for greener pastures. He isn't all that old, if Dalton can win 7-8 games and put up good stats he will be in line for a chance to start somewhere next year. Meaning we need to see what we have in DiNucci.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
If Dalton gets hurt just go with Cedrick Wilson. He looked pretty good throwing the pass to Dak.

Seriously, he (or Pollard) and Zeke in the wildcat would be fun. Better than Gilbert tossing picks on max 6-yard routes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Business of Football: Dak Prescott's Injury Won't Significantly Hurt His Career Earnings
Much has been made of Dak Prescott's contract situation, before and after his injury in Week 5, but he will likely end up in the same position next February he'd be in anyway. Plus, the NFL playing through the pandemic and why Bill O'Brien was destined to fail.

ANDREW BRANDT3 HOURS AGO

In the aftermath of Dak Prescott’s bone-chilling injury and reaction on Sunday, many have asked me about his business decision to turn down a multi-year offer from the Cowboys to instead play on a one-year contract with no security beyond it. Here are some thoughts.

We do not know what the Cowboys were offering, but we do know from their contract history that they prefer long deals—the longer the better—with guarantees only in the low-risk early years of the deal. They have previously signed star players to contracts with lengths up to 10 years, which are essentially one- or two-year contracts with team options following that. Amid that landscape, the Chiefs and Patrick Mahomes agreed to a 12-year deal, one that only secures $63 million over the next three years (Ryan Tannehill is making $91 million over the same time frame). Wanting both a better deal from the Cowboys and more optionality in his career, Prescott chose to play in 2020 on the one-year franchise tag number of $31 million.

Yes, if Prescott were never to play again or to find himself in a non-leveraged position next March and taking a below-market “prove it” contract, he would have been better off taking whatever the Cowboys offered last year, giving him more than the $31 million guarantee that he has. But ask yourself: Is that really the most likely scenario here? It is not.

Much more likely is that this upcoming February we will be in the same place we were last February: with Prescott a pending free agent and the Cowboys having to 1) negotiate a long-term contract; 2) re-apply the franchise tag, or 3) set him free into a marketplace desperate for young and proven quarterbacks. And my sense is that, as long as his recovery and rehabilitation has gone well, Prescott will again be in a position to leverage, at the least, a franchise tag of around $38 million for the 2021 season.

Many players have returned from serious injuries in their contract years to earn top-of-market contracts in free agency. Allen Robinson (Bears) and Earl Thomas (Ravens) come immediately to mind. To think that Dak Prescott will now suffer in career earnings because of an early-season injury at age 25 is, well, knee-jerk.

The real business of football issue here is the franchise tag, a powerful management tool that is weaponized for situations just like this. Last year Prescott was the most underpaid player in the league, as a starting quarterback making $700,000. This year he finally made it to the promised land in sports business, free agency, only to be restricted to negotiating only with the. And the Cowboys used the leverage of the tag to not only take Prescott off of the market, but to be firm in negotiations, knowing they had his contract rights no matter what outcome.

Were there no NFL franchise tag, Prescott would have a long-term deal, and it would be the most player-friendly contract in NFL history. But his free agency was only a mirage. The tag is a massive advantage for management over their most important labor. Imagine the NBA with a franchise tag…

While his injury was gruesome and takes him off the field in 2020, I am still bullish on Prescott’s long-term earnings and still believe he has played the situation correctly. Time will tell, but to think Prescott will be limited to anything below elite quarterback earnings in the future is, in my opinion, narrow thinking.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know there has been a lot of talk about franchising him again or possibly rolling with Dalton. But I personally take this injury as an opportunity to get the long term deal done. This injury may provide Dak with some clarity that a long term deal amd the insurance it provides is worth more than squabbling over a mil here or there. And Jerry gets the opportunity to show that he has total faith in Dak and his work ethic. Maybe the new deal comes in at 35 mil a year and you get some discount on the front end for next year.

That's how I'd look at it anyway.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'd be fine with a long-term deal averaging about 35 and gambling that he comes back 100%, at this point that's a decent sized discount with Jackson likely going 40+ in the next 12 months or so and then who knows where it goes from there?

Maybe Josh Allen continues this way and the Bills try to lock him up next offseason for 40+ as well?

Either way the numbers are only going up so locking him in at 35 would be worthwhile gamble, even though I'd prefer it to be structured so we can get out of it after 2-3 years.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I don't think it's realistic to think he's signing for $35 million even after the injury.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think it's realistic to think he's signing for $35 million even after the injury.
And maybe not. But I would think that Dak should be more apt to sacrifice a little to get a long term deal done now. The guy has basically never been hurt. I'm sure before he felt a bit invincible, that taking a franchise tag would just lead to more money down the road. But now that he knows it's possible to have a freak injury at basically any time I think he may view things a little differently.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
And maybe not. But I would think that Dak should be more apt to sacrifice a little to get a long term deal done now. The guy has basically never been hurt. I'm sure before he felt a bit invincible, that taking a franchise tag would just lead to more money down the road. But now that he knows it's possible to have a freak injury at basically any time I think he may view things a little differently.
He should be but I don't think he will be. Particularly with that agent.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Dallas needs to wait as long as possible to make sure the dude recovers. If there are no complications and he can at least walk/jog, then start the negotiations on a long term deal.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dallas needs to wait as long as possible to make sure the dude recovers. If there are no complications and he can at least walk/jog, then start the negotiations on a long term deal.
You can't do it until after the season anyway. By February we should have a pretty good idea of how everything is healing.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Isnt it fucking ironic the injury happened on the same day Alex Smith returned to the field from his own gruesome injury?

Top Bottom