Cowboys Round 5 (179) Selection - Bradlee Anae, OLB, Utah

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's amazing watching this guy because you can tell he's nowhere near an elite athlete like what you see out of most top edge rushers. There were a few times where he was in space 1-on-1 with Herbert keeping it on RPO-type action and his change of direction/quickness was nowhere to be found, the guy had a 0% chance of making a play on Herbert in space.

What's amazing is that despite that he times the snap so well that at least a few times a game he's 1/2 a yard across the LOS while some of his teammates are still in their stance, or the OT is just barely out of his stance.

Combine that with his hand usage/array of pass rush moves/motor/work ethic and there's almost no chance the guy isn't at least a good rotational pass rusher. I'm not sure whether or not he can be a future starter with a lack of top-level explosiveness/athleticism, but the guy surely will be a valuable rotational player who could potentially be groomed into a starter.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
what's not to like?
For where we took him, nothing. The guy isn't a can't-miss surefire future starter but he should stick around as an integral rotational player for a good while and he could potentially develop into a starter a few years down the line.

He lacks elite explosiveness/athleticism, struggles a bit holding the POA against the run and isn't as long as you'd like, but those are all relatively minor things when you consider where we took him and what he brings to the table.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
For where we took him, nothing. The guy isn't a can't-miss surefire future starter but he should stick around as an integral rotational player for a good while and he could potentially develop into a starter a few years down the line.

He lacks elite explosiveness/athleticism, struggles a bit holding the POA against the run and isn't as long as you'd like, but those are all relatively minor things when you consider where we took him and what he brings to the table.
Yeah I don't see the downside at all with a late fifth round pick. If you take the guy in the second round and he only becomes a rotational player that's a disappointment. I think his skills will translate well to the NFL. But he's never going to grow longer arms and I don't think he is a guy who can put on a bunch of weight and become a 270 pound DE. But I think he has plenty of size to play RE in the NFL. He might not have the typical long arms and build for it but his playing style looks like a great fit.

And if he is never more than a spark off the bench as a pass rusher than for a fifth round pick I think that's great value.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah I don't see the downside at all with a late fifth round pick. If you take the guy in the second round and he only becomes a rotational player that's a disappointment. I think his skills will translate well to the NFL. But he's never going to grow longer arms and I don't think he is a guy who can put on a bunch of weight and become a 270 pound DE. But I think he has plenty of size to play RE in the NFL. He might not have the typical long arms and build for it but his playing style looks like a great fit.

And if he is never more than a spark off the bench as a pass rusher than for a fifth round pick I think that's great value.
Yea, he also struggles in space so I don't think we'll be able to drop him into coverage or ask him to consistently do some of the things most teams ask 3-4 OLB's to do, which could be a role they have in mind for him considering the type of defense I expect them to run.

Again, a relatively minor thing, because ultimately I think you can throw him out there in nickel/dime tomorrow and he's going to produce more than a guy like Dorance Armstrong with all the 1-on-1 matchups he gets with teams more focused on guys like Lawrence/Gregory/McCoy/Smith/Crawford.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yea, he also struggles in space so I don't think we'll be able to drop him into coverage or ask him to consistently do some of the things most teams ask 3-4 OLB's to do, which could be a role they have in mind for him considering the type of defense I expect them to run.

Again, a relatively minor thing, because ultimately I think you can throw him out there in nickel/dime tomorrow and he's going to produce more than a guy like Dorance Armstrong with all the 1-on-1 matchups he gets with teams more focused on guys like Lawrence/Gregory/McCoy/Smith/Crawford.
Yeah I think most of the questions or concerns with the guy are a problem if you're looking at him as a 3-4 OLBer. And maybe we will run some odd front stuff with him as a pass rushing OLBer but I think most of that would still be with the idea that he would be rushing the passer. So I'm still not too concerned. As a full time RE he would be undersized but most NFL RE's are. And because the NFL is such a passing league I don't think that's much of a problem. Plus he still seems to hold ground well at his weight unless he is facing a double team. So again, I'm not really concerned. I think he provides better pass rush at RE than almost anyone on the roster who hasn't faced an NFL suspension.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yand he's going to produce more than a guy like Dorance Armstrong
Armstrong was good late in games but wasn't going to get a lot of PT behind Quinn. Will be interesting to see what happens with Armstrong, who not only has better draft pedigree than Anae but also has had years of OTAs and pro games under his belt.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Armstrong was good late in games but wasn't going to get a lot of PT behind Quinn. Will be interesting to see what happens with Armstrong, who not only has better draft pedigree than Anae but also has had years of OTAs and pro games under his belt.
Armstrong got a good deal of ST reps as well. This is his opportunity to step up

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't agree with this. Dorance Armstrong was drafted higher but Anae is a better prospect across the board. Production in college Anae kills him. In terms of 40 times, not much difference. If you watched the two, Anae is just worlds better as a pass rusher than Armstrong was coming out. Anae was a projected third round pick at worst by almost everyone. Armstrong was a projected 4-5th round pick by most.

Armstrong definitely has the benefit of a couple years in an NFL weight room but Anae is the better player out of college. Easily in my opinion.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I don't agree with this. Dorance Armstrong was drafted higher but Anae is a better prospect across the board. Production in college Anae kills him. In terms of 40 times, not much difference. If you watched the two, Anae is just worlds better as a pass rusher than Armstrong was coming out. Anae was a projected third round pick at worst by almost everyone. Armstrong was a projected 4-5th round pick by most.

Armstrong definitely has the benefit of a couple years in an NFL weight room but Anae is the better player out of college. Easily in my opinion.
im eager to see how he adapts to the NFL.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life

Had Armstrong come out a year earlier he was considered a 2nd or 3rd round prospect as well IIRC.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I can't blame anyone from Kansas for not putting up stats.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't blame anyone from Kansas for not putting up stats.
I feel like it's a trap sometimes when you think, well a year ago he would have been a second/third rounder. Truth is no one knows that for sure because he wasn't in that draft. And honestly more film often changes things. I mean a year ago Joe Burrow was a fourth rounder. That doesn't mean he was a mistake as the number 1 pick though. A season of football can change a lot for a player.

It's also why I can't imagine a draft if college football is canceled. I'm sure they would still have one but it is crazy to think how much different a draft could go with one more season under everyone's belts.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Projected is clearly different than drafted. People always fall for a reason.

We really want Anae to be the productive player he was in college, but the draft is all about projecting to the next level.

Claiming that Anae is just going to walk onto the roster over the established 4th rounder Armstrong who’s had time in OTAs and games is completely glossing over why every team including Dallas let Anae drop to the 5th round.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Scott Mitchell says Bradlee Anae is one of the best play-makers in this year's draft.

Top Bottom