Cowboys Round 3 (82) Selection - Neville Gallimore, DT, Oklahoma

armadillooutlaw

DCC 4Life
I think a lot of fans are secretly counting on Gregory.

At his best he had 6 sacks, and those plays came with a lot of mental mistakes, some of which undid the sacks.
He had some bad penalties in some big moments, however his six sacks came while playing less than 45% of the snaps, not to mention a high amount of pressures, so he was getting after the QB with a good amount of efficiency.
After missing basically two full seasons.
He would probably still be a good third down rusher at the very least if reinstated.
I get the hesitation big time though, since he hasn't shown to be able to stay off the commissioners crap list.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
hasn't shown to be able to stay off the commissioners crap list.
That's step one. Step two is not sliding into dependency to the point where he's fined his entire salary.

Step three is coming back on the field.

Anyways, our defense was our weak point last year, and that was with Quinn and Jones on the field. Both defense and offense padded their stats against unbelievably BAD teams. Seven games we played the utter shit of the league, going an embarrassing 6-1.

But personnel wise the new CB's and Clinton-Dix more than make up for Jones, and McCoy and Poe up front are game-changing compared with the comedy we've had in the middle.

Lawrence and LVE have to come back for sure.

So I agree with you that Gregory, if he's going to help, has to be part of a much broader effort.

Maybe Aldon Smith (prayer)? Or Jaylon as a situational pass rusher?

Would love to see Golden added to the mix and watch the competition.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just got done watching a decent amount of Gallimore, including some All-22 and what stands out the most is that his 4.79 speed, which is obviously ridiculous for a 300 lb DT, actually translates. It's not every snap or in every situation but you see it a handful of times each game.

He'll be chasing the ball to the sideline or closing on the QB once he gets a runway and you're just like god damn, DT's aren't supposed to have that burst. He also has an excellent motor when he's fresh but it seems like he does tire relatively quickly.

He's a bit raw and definitely needs to play with lower pad level and incorporate a more varied pass rush plan, but if he can improve and become a more refined player he should 100% be a future starter and probably a high-level one. The fact that he seems to have a strong work ethic and even has an OU great to mentor him in McCoy should just increase the chances. I think he can play 1T here and there but it'd be a bit of a waste, you want that athleticism playing in a bit more space as a 3T.

Absolute worst case scenario he's a high-end rotational pass rusher who juices up the interior pass rush.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Just got done watching a decent amount of Gallimore, including some All-22 and what stands out the most is that his 4.79 speed, which is obviously ridiculous for a 300 lb DT, actually translates. It's not every snap or in every situation but you see it a handful of times each game.

He'll be chasing the ball to the sideline or closing on the QB once he gets a runway and you're just like god damn, DT's aren't supposed to have that burst. He also has an excellent motor when he's fresh but it seems like he does tire relatively quickly.

He's a bit raw and definitely needs to play with lower pad level and incorporate a more varied pass rush plan, but if he can improve and become a more refined player he should 100% be a future starter and probably a high-level one. The fact that he seems to have a strong work ethic and even has an OU great to mentor him in McCoy should just increase the chances. I think he can play 1T here and there but it'd be a bit of a waste, you want that athleticism playing in a bit more space as a 3T.

Absolute worst case scenario he's a high-end rotational pass rusher who juices up the interior pass rush.
He's a dancing bear.

Lots of potential, awesome side-to-side pursuit. Great hustle.

He lacks the quickness and violence at the line and QB targeting that Madubuike has. Madubuike just makes plays too, and at key times. A natural football player while Gallimore is relatively new to the game.

This team's leadership are and will always be corner whores. I would have not taken Diggs over Madubuike.

If Diggs turns out to be an interception machine, I'll capitulate to the masses.

But I'd rather have had Madubuike and the best 3rd round corner than Diggs and Gallimore.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's a dancing bear.

Lots of potential, awesome side-to-side pursuit. Great hustle.

He lacks the quickness and violence at the line and QB targeting that Madubuike has. Madubuike just makes plays too, and at key times. A natural football player while Gallimore is relatively new to the game.

This team's leadership are and will always be corner whores. I would have not taken Diggs over Madubuike.

If Diggs turns out to be an interception machine, I'll capitulate to the masses.

But I'd rather have had Madubuike and the best 3rd round corner than Diggs and Gallimore.
What if Gallimore ends up better than Madubuike. I think odds are good the Cowboys had Gallimore rated higher.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
What if Gallimore ends up better than Madubuike. I think odds are good the Cowboys had Gallimore rated higher.
Im almost positive that they did. Too many reports of either trying to trade up for him in the second or had same grade as Diggs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Im almost positive that they did. Too many reports of either trying to trade up for him in the second or had same grade as Diggs.
Any rumors you hear are more than likely planted to make it sound like Dallas drafted better than everyone. They always do this and have done so since Jimmy left. A lot of hogwash. "We're ecstatic, we got x of the top n on our board"

I can only hope Gallimore develops into a strong 3T. He always seemed more of a tweener to me. Half 3T and half 1T.

You don't usually see the word "raw" used in Madubuike's scouting reports. Madubuike has longer arms and plays with a violence I enjoy watching. He's a natural football player. The Ravens got a steal, IMO.

I do like that Gallimore is stockier and a bit heavier.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't usually see the word "raw" used in Madubuike's scouting reports. Madubuike has longer arms and plays with a violence I enjoy watching. He's a natural football player. The Ravens got a steal, IMO.

I do like that Gallimore is stockier and a bit heavier.
Gallimore plays with far more power. Which I thought you would love more. Instead you love a 290 pound DT, you've changed.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No matter how much positive crap you people post, he is still my least favorite pick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I’d rather have the guy better suited to the role, that’s all. I like that Gallimore is a bit heavier, though shorter and with shorter arms.

A 3T is an interior pass rusher who beats linemen to a gap for run control. I don’t think Gallimore is ready for that role, especially the pas rushing.

As a 1T, he’s light and I’d much rather have had Fotu who I know can anchor, even if someone gets under his pads.

Gallimore is kind of in between both roles. That’s my sole gripe.

McCarthy has said talent over position or scheme. I think Gallimore is an early test of that philosophy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
McClay has had lots of litmus tests. He’s batting a decent average. But yeah this pick will be on him.
This is the one he totally took ownership of. The others, he was along for retard ride.

Top Bottom