Cowboys QB Dak Prescott was supposed to raise his MVP stock vs. Chiefs — he fell terribly short

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He is a strange QB. Has a high completion percentage but is not as accurate as you would like for an elite QB. Can make some of the hardest throws but easy ones are usually down and behind the receivers.
I think a lot is dumbed down. Simple reads.

He can't handle tough looks.

data

Forbes #1
He played like a fucking asshole up until the final drive in regulation or whenever, then he decided to be an asshole in over time.

I don’t like him anymore.
Post more, seriously

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
There were also multiple plays where Dak appeared to be yelling at a receiver for his route. Maybe Dak is just playing frustrated. I'm not sure, it's just off.
The Gallup end zone incompletion was on Gallup. He has to finish the route to the pylon. Just miscommunication between a QB and WR who haven't played much together in the last year.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
He is a strange QB. Has a high completion percentage but is not as accurate as you would like for an elite QB. Can make some of the hardest throws but easy ones are usually down and behind the receivers.
I don't really think he "misses" anymore than any other big-time QB. It's just that none of these guys are having every throw broken down and dissected like the Zapruder film like Dak's are for whatever reason. I can sit down to watch any NFL game and any of the supposedly "big-time" QB's have throws they miss or plays where they are just off with their receiver. Literally every Sunday.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I don't really think he "misses" anymore than any other big-time QB. It's just that none of these guys are having every throw broken down and dissected like the Zapruder film like Dak's are for whatever reason. I can sit down to watch any NFL game and any of the supposedly "big-time" QB's have throws they miss or plays where they are just off with their receiver. Literally every Sunday.
Big facts.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

I think he gets micro criticized and in the sense that you are talking about, it's unwarranted.

But I also think it's true that he hasn't been playing well lately and hasn't been good enough.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I didnt say misses. Perhaps I wasnt as clear as I should have been. Was talking about ball placement. Seems quite often the ball is behind, low, or high.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Gallup end zone incompletion was on Gallup. He has to finish the route to the pylon. Just miscommunication between a QB and WR who haven't played much together in the last year.
I think that has been a problem the last two weeks in general. Dak and Cooper have a connection where they both sees things the same and always seem to be on the same page. I really think having Cooper, Lamb and Gallup back is going to make Dak comfortable again. I think he just looks uncomfortable right now with the guys he is throwing to.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I think that has been a problem the last two weeks in general. Dak and Cooper have a connection where they both sees things the same and always seem to be on the same page. I really think having Cooper, Lamb and Gallup back is going to make Dak comfortable again. I think he just looks uncomfortable right now with the guys he is throwing to.

He was uncomfortable in the Denver game too though. It's more than just missing Cooper.

Teams have clearly adjusted how they play us.

There's a reason Dak and Dez had trouble clicking but Dak and Cooper clicked virtually right away.

Dez was often not all that "open". Cooper often is because he's a better route runner. Dak was always more comfortable with bigger windows to throw because he's risk averse.

So if teams have been switching lately to tighter press man coverage, Dak is far less comfortable.

That's what it looks like to me.

ZeroClub

UFA
IMHO, this is obviously correct.

Offhand, I can't remember a time, let alone the last time, a Dallas Cowboys QB suddenly lost both of his top two starting WRs at the same time. It is very unusual to lose both of one's top two WRs within a half game of one another.

This should go without saying: It is disruptive when your top two starting WRs are suddenly and simultaneously ripped from your lineup.

Had this happened to Aikman - had both Irvin and Harper been lost to injuries within half a game of one another - it would have been considered a huge challenge for Aikman and a major blow to the team.

Maybe it is because Cooper and Lamb are both expected to return soon that it is easier to overlook the immediate impact of their sudden, simultaneous absences. It's a temporary emergency that will fix itself in time, so in that way it doesn't seem like a big deal, even though it is.

Maybe this year's high level roster chaos (D-Law, Gallup, Gregory, Gallimore, Tyron's comings and goings, the Collins suspension, Steele's positions, Connor v. Connor, Dak's injury, Jaylon Smith, etc.) obscures the relevance of Cooper and Lamb both suddenly missing time at the same time.

Vs. Denver, a musical chairs OL provided spotty protection as a rusty Dak returned from an injury-related absence.

If the Cowboys finally can get and stay relatively healthy, they'll be fun to watch again and dangerous in the playoffs. If they don't, it'll be a colossal disappointment.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Dont tell Aaron Rodgers he cant win without his best receiver.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Yes, it's like Brady and Gronk. Cooper is almost always where Dak expects him to be.

The Dak-Gallup endzone miss was just that. Dak threw it where he thought Gallup would be, and Gallup ended up somewhere else. Just a miscommunication. It happens and it's really no one's fault (but it's more so Gallup's). These guys have gotten minimal reps together in the last 12 months.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
Dont tell Aaron Rodgers he cant win without his best receiver.
Packers forced three turnovers in that game. That certainly helped.

What would the narrative on it be if AJ Green doesn't fall asleep in the end zone on the last play?

Top Bottom