Cowboys QB Dak Prescott was supposed to raise his MVP stock vs. Chiefs — he fell terribly short

p1_

DCC 4Life
Unless Prescott can do a better job, kiss those Super Bowl dreams goodbye.

By David Moore

9:57 PM on Nov 21, 2021

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — Dak Prescott was the NFL’s top-rated quarterback entering Sunday’s game with a chance to burnish his credentials in the Most Valuable Player race.

He left Arrowhead Stadium with the crushing realization of how short he fell.

Dumping the Cowboys 19-9 loss to Kansas City solely at the cleats of their quarterback is too simplistic. The offensive line was thoroughly overpowered as left tackle Tyron Smith missed his third consecutive game. The receivers dropped one pass after another as the normally sure-handed Amari Cooper missed the first of two games due to his refusal to be vaccinated for COVID-19.

A lot to overcome? Sure. And that doesn’t even account for the fact that in recent weeks the Chiefs appear to be rounding into their Super Bowl form after a slow start.

But don’t let Prescott off the hook. He’s asked to elevate the performance of himself and his teammates in these signature matchups, not preside over an offense that failed to score a touchdown for the first time this season.

Prescott appeared lost for the second time in three games. Unlike earlier this month against Denver, his poor performance can’t be rationalized as something that happens when you’re coming back from a calf strain.

Discouraged is not a word this franchise uses in discussing losses. But Prescott doesn’t hide from the failure of the moment.

“Pissed off,’’ he said. “Pissed when I don’t play well, the team doesn’t play well and the offense doesn’t play well.

“We had a great opportunity to come out and play against a team that has been in the Super Bowl the last couple of years. And prove it to ourselves, prove it to one another what we are capable of.’’

What the Cowboys proved is they don’t belong in the Super Bowl conversation as they head into a Thanksgiving Day matchup with Las Vegas.

This is still a good team, as the 7-3 record indicates. But no matter how well the Dallas defense plays — and it was really good Sunday afternoon — the fortunes of this team are tied to its offense.

The offense gave the Cowboys no chance to win against Kansas City.

None.

“The offense didn’t hold up our end of the bargain,’’ Pro Bowl guard Zack Martin said. “I think if you would have told us that our defense would have held them to 19 points, we would have felt pretty damn good about that.

“We’ve got to do a better job.’’

Prescott has to do a better job. Michael Gallup was wide open down the left sideline on the game’s first play from scrimmage and the quarterback overthrew him.

Prescott’s final pass of the first half was not only intercepted in the end zone, but it also resulted in a concussion that knocked CeeDee Lamb out of the remainder of the game. His final pass of the game with the Cowboys on the Kansas City 20-yard line was also intercepted.

Please insert duck call here.

And that doesn’t even count the fumble the quarterback lost on the team’s second possession that gave the Chiefs the ball on the Dallas 22-yard line.

“It sucks,’’ Prescott said. “The defense did a good enough job for us to win this game. The offense didn’t get the job done.

“It starts with me.’’

There was no offensive flow for Dallas. Prescott lamented the team’s inability to find a rhythm.

Gallup’s an example. He caught only five of the 10 passes thrown in his direction.

“A lot of stuff wasn’t clicking for us,’’ Gallup said. “That’s the best way I could put it.

“Not a whole lot there, just wasn’t clicking today.’’

Prescott finished completing 65% of his passes for 216 yards. But even that modest stat line is deceptive.

When Kansas City kicked a field goal with just under three minutes left in the third quarter to take a 19-6 lead, Prescott was 16 of 27 for 88 yards with an interception and a fumble. The bulk of his yardage, as it did in the loss to the Broncos, came when the outcome was already determined.

“The big thing, I watch the line of scrimmage for the most part and the time clocks, the pace of the operations and things like that,’’ head coach Mike McCarthy said when asked to assess Prescott’s performance. “As far as grading his throwing, I wouldn’t be specific with that.

“We definitely were not as efficient tonight as we needed to be.’’

Prescott had a chance to enhance his status and the perception of the Cowboys around the league Sunday afternoon. He came up short on both counts.

Terribly short.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
All excuses aside, yesterday was a big game. A big matchup to see if Dak could overcome team injuries on the road against a good team in a loud stadium. I honestly thought he would make it happen. Isn't that what a mega-money franchise QB does if he's gonna lead his team to a championship?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
All excuses aside, yesterday was a big game. A big matchup to see if Dak could overcome team injuries on the road against a good team in a loud stadium. I honestly thought he would make it happen. Isn't that what a mega-money franchise QB does if he's gonna lead his team to a championship?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We haven't talked about it much but the crowd noise was a big factor. Our guys looked rush and out of sorts a lot on offense. I'm guessing some of our problems on the Oline had to do with crowd noise and an inability to communicate well or get off the ball on time.

Arrowhead is not an easy place to play.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
We haven't talked about it much but the crowd noise was a big factor. Our guys looked rush and out of sorts a lot on offense. I'm guessing some of our problems on the Oline had to do with crowd noise and an inability to communicate well or get off the ball on time.

Neither is any hostile crowd on the road in the playoffs.

This better have some lessons attached in that regard as well.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
What do your zzzzone buddies have to say about this?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

That is totally an excuse. I mean, any hostile playoff stadium not named SoFi would be the same

Sheik

DCC 4Life
And can we draft a left tackle as soon as possible? It feels like Randy Gregory has been available more the last 4 years than Tyron Smith has.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is totally an excuse. I mean, any hostile playoff stadium not named SoFi would be the same
I don't think you know what Arrowhead is like if you think every stadium in the playoffs is like that. And I don't know how exactly that's an excuse. It's just pointing out an obvious factor the team struggled with and needs to figure out.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I don't think you know what Arrowhead is like if you think every stadium in the playoffs is like that. And I don't know how exactly that's an excuse. It's just pointing out an obvious factor the team struggled with and needs to figure out.
LoL. I guess Seattle is the same way for him.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Tyron needs to pack it in, or learn to live as a bench rider. Dallas needs a stud LT they can depend on, and they may need to look at guard again in the draft. It’s obvious Dak needs a level of protection to keep his feet calm. Not happening with the current group of OL.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'll tell you a stadium that isn't like that is in Texas.
It's amazing that almost 100,000 people can sounds that quiet. But it's purty and stuff.

midswat

... soon
This faggot only got 2 points in fantasy this week and cost me my game.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Are you going to keep making excuses every time this happens?
What excuses and every time what happens? I figured you'd asked this question there and was wondering what the consensus was, Mr. Paranoia.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
What excuses and every time what happens? I figured you'd asked this question there and was wondering what the consensus was, Mr. Paranoia.
Apparently you're ok with Prescott's debacle. Carry on...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Apparently you're ok with Prescott's debacle. Carry on...
Show me where I have either said or implied that. Until then, you'll just continue to be one of many zone retards with zero comprehension skills.

Top Bottom