Cowboys Nostalgia Thread

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
It's not like he dropped the game winner. It would've been 21-21 in the 3rd with an eternity left.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
These announcers are blatantly for Pittsburgh. I know fans say that, but it's not even close. Especially the unknown third guy.

In fairness, Merlin seems the same for both teams.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Don't want to make Geng mad but the 1979 Super Bowl just started on NFL network. I guess I was a little too young but I don't remember any of this at all.

Opening drive (I think), Cowboys were marching down the field with Dorsett getting big chunks when they ran a double reverse flea flicker and fumbled it right to Pittsburgh. :doh

Curt Gowdy, some unknown guy, and Merlin Olsen calling the game. I guess Enberg wasn't #1 yet.
We got turnovers of our own. Hollywood and Hegman teaming up to rob Bradshaw of the ball for a defensive TD was nice.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
We got turnovers of our own. Hollywood and Hegman teaming up to rob Bradshaw of the ball for a defensive TD was nice.
I remember as a kid, I had a DC calendar where one of the months was a photo of Hegman taking the ball away from him. So great.

Staubach just threw a bad interception into a crowd, and Billy Joe Dupree absolutely baptized Blount on the return. They called a penalty on Dupree even though it was a perfectly legal form tackle, not late or anything. The TV being what it was back then, they barely mentioned it. :mad

I want Son of Deadrise to explain this.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Don't want to make Geng mad but the 1979 Super Bowl just started on NFL network. I guess I was a little too young but I don't remember any of this at all.

Opening drive (I think), Cowboys were marching down the field with Dorsett getting big chunks when they ran a double reverse flea flicker and fumbled it right to Pittsburgh. :doh

Curt Gowdy, some unknown guy, and Merlin Olsen calling the game. I guess Enberg wasn't #1 yet.
I was at that game . Bleacher style seating at the Orange Bowl. Jackie Smith special . Good times .

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I remember as a kid, I had a DC calendar where one of the months was a photo of Hegman taking the ball away from him. So great.

Staubach just threw a bad interception into a crowd, and Billy Joe Dupree absolutely baptized Blount on the return. They called a penalty on Dupree even though it was a perfectly legal form tackle, not late or anything. The TV being what it was back then, they barely mentioned it. :mad

I want Son of Deadrise to explain this.
Explain the Benny Barnes dickage as well.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
These announcers are blatantly for Pittsburgh. I know fans say that, but it's not even close. Especially the unknown third guy.

In fairness, Merlin seems the same for both teams.
NBC was blatant about it as they were the AFC network and were playing from behind for ratings as it was. They did everything they could to pump the Steelers, just like they tried to do for the AFC teams in the Cowboys' Superbowl victories in the 1990's.

I think Levon Kirkland got one pressure or sack on Aikman, and Enberg had a fucking orgasm, screaming out "He gets to Aikman, knocking him down like a prize fighter!!!" I'm like, scoreboard, bitch.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He also had that out-of-nowhere back surgery in the summer of '93. Hugh Millen starting Game 1 was a real possibility. :skurred
Damn.

You just gave me retro-anxiety from back then.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Emmitt separating his shoulder against the Gnats. I lived in NJ at the time, I was watching the game. "Fvvvvvvck."

Top Bottom