Cowboys Free Agency Thread

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was 263 at the combine so it's not outlandish at all if he's 275-280 now. If the guy can just give us one good season I'd be pretty thrilled, so we'll see.

Yeah 280 seems big for him but then again I think 270 would be about right as a full time 4-3 DE. And I'm sure he can drop a little weight if needed. Sounds like he is pretty jacked up right now so at least he didn't add fat. That would be far more concerning.

p1_

DCC 4Life
None of the contract is guaranteed. Bring him to camp, see what he's got, both physically and mentally. If he's still waving red flags around, cut him loose.

If he shows he's put his life back together and still has some juice? Great. Cheap signing of a good player at a position of need.
Aka a Jerry Special

p1_

DCC 4Life
I can guarantee you that my opinion on Chaisson has nothing to do with groupthink or highlight videos.

I watched literally every snap Chaisson played against Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama and Clemson. Every snap of Henderson's against FSU, Georgia, Auburn and LSU.

And it wasn't even these 7 minute cut-up videos on YouTube, the entire games are on there and I went through each of them, except for I think FSU where there was only a condensed version. It's not All-22 unfortunately but for OL/DL you aren't missing too much, and for Henderson I couldn't watch him all the way throughout every single snap but I for damn sure could see the multiple times he got roasted for 40+ yard receptions, including an All-22 view where you can discern the overall coverage.

I can also tell you that that scouts often times don't watch every single game of a prospect, it usually is a sampling of about 5 or so, spread out throughout the season so you aren't watching just games from the beginning/middle/end of the year.

I just got around to watching them seriously now because it's looking like they're the top two options at 17, and of course scouting isn't my job so I don't have basically my entire life to devote to breaking down film.
You do devote significant time all the same

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Aka a Jerry Special
That contract is a good thing. A relatively risk free chance at a player that can really help us at a position of need.

Are you sure you want to give Jerry credit for that?

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In case you don't want to click on that tweet, here is what the rest of it says. I don't know why Archer doesn't split his tweets like everyone else. Wait, yes I do. He wants you to go to ESPN to read it all.

More on Aldon Smith’s contract: He will earn a $910,000 base salary and $40,625 every time he is on the active gameday roster, totaling $650,000. He has incentives totaling $2 million. If he reaches eight sacks, he will get $500,000, 10 sacks will earn him $1 million, 12 sacks equals $1.5 million and 14 sacks would net him $2 million. In addition to the bonus money, it equals a one-year deal worth up to $4 million.

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer1h ago

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Crawford is far from a useless turd. He's overpaid, and that's the fault of the FO. It doesn't mean he can't play. If we were paying him 4-5 mil a year, people would be fine with him being a rotation piece on this team.

He can give this team 4-6 sacks and solid run defense as a rotation player, and that is just fine.
He’s coming off a hip injury, and hasn’t been a game changing player for a couple years now. Again, maybe if you have a solid DL and have bookends at DE, he’s a guy to bring in to spell your impact players, but at the money he’s being paid he’ll be expected to be part of the starting lineup solution which is a problem.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I know it's a no-risk deal but I wouldn't waste a minute of my time on a guy with a rap sheet this long. We're not talking about someone who just smoked a little weed or who only got into 2 or 3 incidents. Look at the below laundry list of incidents. This guy is an idiot and he continued to be an idiot even while out of football. Notice the dates. Normally when someone is banished from a pro league it's a reality check and they usually straighten up and stay out of trouble in hopes of being reinstated. Not Smith though.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aldon Smith’s mountain of legal issues
Here’s a rundown of the breathtaking amount of off-field issues Smith has encountered since entering the NFL:

And he’s on the wrong side age wise for a team trying to rebuild its DL, and even worse he’s not stepped on the field for almost 5 years. Gregory I can see taking a flyer on, 2 years is not terrible. But Smith?
I guess if they go into the draft looking for CB, DE, and DT then no one cares. I just have a feeling that’s not what’s going to happen.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
He’s coming off a hip injury, and hasn’t been a game changing player for a couple years now. Again, maybe if you have a solid DL and have bookends at DE, he’s a guy to bring in to spell your impact players, but at the money he’s being paid he’ll be expected to be part of the starting lineup solution which is a problem.
Yes, he's never come close to earning that contract, and he's been shuffled along the line to wherever they had a gaping hole. And now you're talking about a backup rotational player costing $9.1 million against your salary cap. In no universe is that considered 'good', not even by an honest Cowboys homer.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I can guarantee you that my opinion on Chaisson has nothing to do with groupthink or highlight videos.

I watched literally every snap Chaisson played against Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida, Alabama and Clemson. Every snap of Henderson's against FSU, Georgia, Auburn and LSU.

And it wasn't even these 7 minute cut-up videos on YouTube, the entire games are on there and I went through each of them, except for I think FSU where there was only a condensed version. It's not All-22 unfortunately but for OL/DL you aren't missing too much, and for Henderson I couldn't watch him all the way throughout every single snap but I for damn sure could see the multiple times he got roasted for 40+ yard receptions, including an All-22 view where you can discern the overall coverage.

I can also tell you that that scouts often times don't watch every single game of a prospect, it usually is a sampling of about 5 or so, spread out throughout the season so you aren't watching just games from the beginning/middle/end of the year.

I just got around to watching them seriously now because it's looking like they're the top two options at 17, and of course scouting isn't my job so I don't have basically my entire life to devote to breaking down film.
And that’s fine, but did you do the same regarding every other prospect at those positions in the draft?

IOW, do you have a day job...

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And that’s fine, but did you do the same regarding every other prospect at those positions in the draft?

IOW, do you have a day job...
I've gone through guys like Brown, Kinlaw, Baun, Madubuike and McKinney, and I'm making my way through a few other prospects, Gross-Matos, Fulton and Gladney namely. Not quite as in-depth as Chaisson and Henderson but definitely way more than highlight videos and online banter.

I have a day job but I also have plenty of time on my hands given the circumstance we find ourselves in.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I usually don't like bringing in the headcases, so I won't expect too much here.

But Smith was a certified badass. I'm going to say the most talented rusher we've had since Ware. If he can be anything close to what he was for even a dozen plays a game, he'll help.

These are probably the types of risks you have to take when your stars start getting paid and you lose some of your other best players to FA.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've gone through guys like Brown, Kinlaw, Baun, Madubuike and McKinney, and I'm making my way through a few other prospects, Gross-Matos, Fulton and Gladney namely. Not quite as in-depth as Chaisson and Henderson but definitely way more than highlight videos and online banter.

I have a day job but I also have plenty of time on my hands given the circumstance we find ourselves in.
You should watch Epenesa. His game against USC was really impressive.

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom