Cowboys Decline Option on Melton

Carp

DCC 4Life
Posted by Michael David Smith on February 14, 2015, 12:54 PM EST

Cowboys defensive tackleHenry Melton*will become a free agent in March.

Melton’s agent, Jordan Woy,confirmed today that Melton will become a free agent.

As noted by the*Dallas Morning News, the Cowboys had until tomorrow to decide whether they wouldexercise the three-year option*on Melton’s contract. Considering that exercising the option would have guaranteed Melton a $9 million salary in 2015, it’s no surprise that the Cowboys have declined the option.

Melton was a Pro Bowler for the Bears in 2012, and the Bears put the franchise tag on him to keep him from free agency in 2013. While playing on the franchise tag, Melton suffered a torn ACL during the 2013 season. After 2013 the Bears let him walk, and the Cowboys signed Melton in 2014.

Although Melton played well at times last year, recording five sacks, he hasn’t returned all the way to his previous Pro Bowl form. He’ll have to hope some team still thinks he has a Pro Bowl season left in him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I was one that was all about picking up that option earlier in the year...thankfully we did not and structured the deal the way we did.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was one that was all about picking up that option earlier in the year...thankfully we did not and structured the deal the way we did.
Yeah just as soon as he started to look like he might be worth that option he disappeared entirely. I think there was clearly some friction between Melton and the coaches behind the scenes. Time to just move on.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Just as well.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We could not afford Suh and keep anyone else of relevance.
That was a sarcastic reply to CRocks suggestion that we could get Fairley and Hardy for 9.

Jiggyfly

Banned
It's amazing how so many were ready to give him 9 million after that brief run of sacks.

Even then he never looked dominant as was falling into most of them he was never a consistent disrupter.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I still would like to bring him back.

He was coming off major knee surgery but still showed promise in the 1st half of the year.

He's not going to break the bank anywhere he goes, so assuming there weren't any behind the scenes issues, I'd offer 3 years at 3 mill per. If he takes it, great. If not, see ya later.

I think it's at least worth a shot.

Jiggyfly

Banned
From what he showed overall I am not spending that much on a rotational guy.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Another smart move by the executive of the year.

:fistpump

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I'm beginning to think someone gave Jerry a lobotomy in 2013. Almost everything he's done since has been good to great. Body snatchers maybe?

Top Bottom