Cowboys Coaching Staff

Newt

DCC 4Life
Towards the end of the year you have to think some of these Cowboys coaches are going to start getting phone calls from the not so fortunate teams around the league. Especially the two coordinators, Moore and Quinn. How far would you go to keep this coaching staff intact? We know Moore will get calls, even if its at the college level. Quinn has done wonders for our defense, we aren't sitting at the top, but we are aggressive and create turnovers at a rate I can't remember another Cowboys team doing. He is also only a few years removed from taking ATL to a Superbowl. To say this staff is an upgrade over anything the Garrett era had to offer would be an understatement.

Kellen Moore is possibly the most perfect coordinator for Dak Prescott. They are completely in sync. His game planning and play calling this year have been phenomenal. Outside of a couple of failed fourth down conversions, I can't fault him. Tops in points per game. Dak could throw for 4,500 yards and Zeke/Pollard are having pretty good years as well. We have weathered the injury (and drug test) bug on the offensive line, we managed to win a game without Dak, and things still seem to be on the uphill trend.

Dan Quinn has done something with this defense. I don't understand it. All of a sudden our defensive backs can catch a football. They are getting pressure on quarterbacks, making tackles in the backfield, getting off the field on 3rd down. They are playing confident football. This is without Lawrence, and now Gregory, along with a few other defensive linemen. We are getting decent safety play, which surprised the shit out of me. And we cut Jaylon Smith, holy shit...

Even Fassel, I can't remember 3 blocked punts for the last decade, and now we have 3 this season?? He's doing something right.

I try not to homer out like this, but damn its been a long time since I've felt this good about a Cowboys team. Is the roster that much better than years past? I have to give it up to this coaching staff. The culture has shifted.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Obviously the players make plays on the field, but I don't think we can credit the coaches enough for how well the team is prepared...minus the Denver game, of course.

There's no salary cap for coaches, so it wouldn't hurt my feelings if Jerry made them highest-paid in the league.

Kellen is likely the hottest commodity, and I doubt we'll be able to keep him much longer even if he is the highest-paid OC in the league. Guys just want to be HC.

As good as Quinn has been for our defense, though, I don't think he'll get as many calls as we'd think...still too much leftover Falcons stink on him. Another year of great strides made with the defense and he'll probably be gone as well.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Dan Quinn has done something with this defense. I don't understand it. All of a sudden our defensive backs can catch a football.
I think they could catch all along. But the team philosophy of bend but don't break was hammered into them, They were instructed to never take their eyes off the receiver, not letting them behind them. Give up the play in front of you, make them march down the field, and we'll hope to stop them over the long haul instead of with a splash play. And we've had that for a looooong time.

Now, they are instructed to have situational awareness. Stay with your receiver/assignment, but also be aware of where the ball is, too. Which allows them that extra split second to make a play.

They may give up the chunk play more often, but the trade off is more big plays. More turnovers.

And I'll take the latter, thankyouverymuch.

Newt

DCC 4Life
I think they could catch all along. But the team philosophy of bend but don't break was hammered into them, They were instructed to never take their eyes off the receiver, not letting them behind them. Give up the play in front of you, make them march down the field, and we'll hope to stop them over the long haul instead of with a splash play. And we've had that for a looooong time.

Now, they are instructed to have situational awareness. Stay with your receiver/assignment, but also be aware of where the ball is, too. Which allows them that extra split second to make a play.

They may give up the chunk play more often, but the trade off is more big plays. More turnovers.

And I'll take the latter, thankyouverymuch.
I love that the DB's seem to be competing with each other too. Nudging each other to make big plays. I'm with you, I'll give up a big play ever once in a while to get some of these turnovers.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
This staff has been great. There's no cap on coaches so pay them whatever, I don't care.

But if a guy has a desire to be a HC there isn't much you can do other than promise to give him this job someday. And I wouldn't do that, I think that's a huge mistake.

If any of them leave for another opportunity, so be it.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Quinn and Fassel aren't going anywhere, Moore is the only one to be worried about and even I think that's 50/50 with how inexperienced he is and how many hotshot offensive minds there are around the league. And even if by some miracle Quinn gets another HC job just a year after being fired, and with what is only an average to above average defense statistically, we can always grab someone like Zimmer.

But yea, pay them all as much as a HC for all I care, makes no difference to me.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This staff has been great. There's no cap on coaches so pay them whatever, I don't care.

But if a guy has a desire to be a HC there isn't much you can do other than promise to give him this job someday. And I wouldn't do that, I think that's a huge mistake.

If any of them leave for another opportunity, so be it.
Even if Moore leaves I think he'd find his way back in 3-4 years. He has next to no real network of coaches to fill out a staff and is like 34, there's always the very rare possibility that he's another McVay, but ultimately if he goes to some shit team I'd guess he'll be fired in 3-4 years and end up right back here as OC.

In the meantime we can roll with Nussmeier/McAdoo/McCarthy/whoever else designing the offense.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
the media keeps yanking that fish line and most keep jumping.

First of all, i love how no one is talking about one of the better coaches. Joe on that OL.

Second, can anyone warrant what Moore has done, but been dismal in the red zone? How much is Moore going to get when you look at Lamb, Amari Cooper and decent work ot of the TEs? which might come more from the TE coach? Its not going to be enough for some organiztion to say Holy Crap, this guy sucks in the Red Zone, clearly he ll figure it out if we make him a HC!!! Which orgnaization is going to do that?

Quinn might get another DC job but i doubt hes ever getting another HC jig. No one is going to look at his SB persformance and say "yea, thats our guy" i could be wrong but if an organization tkes him, you can pretty much assure they arent taking the SB seriously. You have other coaches that are doing great work and no one talks about because the media doesnt give them credit.

Lets slow down before we get excited over something that may not happen. Theres more pressure on this team to win a playoff game before we are celebrating what the coaching staff has done. Before any respected organization looks at any of these coaches, our coaches better do something impressive. Beating up on bad teams is not, well let me rephrase this, it is kinda impressive, but not as impressive as others would hope.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Back up that fucking truck, Jerry. Sooner rather than later.

Newt

DCC 4Life
First of all, i love how no one is talking about one of the better coaches. Joe on that OL.
This is a good point. Yeah we have a couple of all-stars in Smith and Martin, but the improvement for players like Steele has been really nice. That could be strength and conditioning too, either way, these position coaches are doing a great job as well. McCarthy seemed to catch alot of shit last year and even early on this season, I think he has earned some slack for putting this group together.

Newt

DCC 4Life
Back up that fucking truck, Jerry. Sooner rather than later.
This is my thought, I don't want to be worried about my offensive coordinator taking calls during conference championship week. Lock that shit up before it gets started.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Philbin is definitely owed some props, if for nothing else just having Steele looking as competent as he has.

Can't recall the last time we had a dependable swing tackle.

But I seriously doubt Joe Philbin is ever gonna be HC material, just because of the epic failure of his Dolphins stint.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Philbin is definitely owed some props, if for nothing else just having Steele looking as competent as he has.

Can't recall the last time we had a dependable swing tackle.

But I seriously doubt Joe Philbin is ever gonna be HC material, just because of the epic failure of his Dolphins stint.

i agree with you, you just made my point more elegant.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
This is a good point. Yeah we have a couple of all-stars in Smith and Martin, but the improvement for players like Steele has been really nice. That could be strength and conditioning too, either way, these position coaches are doing a great job as well. McCarthy seemed to catch alot of shit last year and even early on this season, I think he has earned some slack for putting this group together.

agreed, better way of putting it.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I just wanna thank Jason Garrett for laying the foundation for generational success in this organization. He had a vision, he was building something here. We don’t have to guess, we see the fruits of his labor every Sunday. Mike McCarthy is basically Barry Switzer, riding the coattails of his predecessor.

Thank you, Jason Garrett.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
i agree with you, you just made my point more elegant.
Connor McGovern has blossomed as well.

We've had promising young OL in the last 15-20 years, but they all just kinda crapped out. Al Johnson, Jacob somebody, Something Martin, etc...early to mid-round guys who flopped.

These guys, even though they've not been the highest of draft picks, seem to be exceeding expectations.

I think first we have McClay who knows what he's looking for in OL and then Philbin is the right coach to get it out of them.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Connor McGovern has blossomed as well.

We've had promising young OL in the last 15-20 years, but they all just kinda crapped out. Al Johnson, Jacob somebody, Something Martin, etc...early to mid-round guys who flopped.

These guys, even though they've not been the highest of draft picks, seem to be exceeding expectations.

I think first we have McClay who knows what he's looking for in OL and then Philbin is the right coach to get it out of them.

this offense is doign better because of that line and Joe has had that OL running better than i expected. I agree with you, i dont think he ll be plucked for HC, but i dont know if anyone can take him for his OL work and say OL and Assistant HC job. that is possible.

but hes one im worried about leaving. i dont think we ve had as good a line since Callahan, i cant say better, id have to have someone break that down for me. but Joe has been doing great.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
What's interesting is how many assistants and coordinators came and went under Belichick. Yet the excellence continued over many years. Granted, he had the GOAT at QB and NE played in a crappy division. Now that the GOAT has gone things aren't so great. Still, so many NE coaches went on to head coaching gigs and fell flat.

I wonder if the core of an organization is what really matters over time. I recall reading that neither Brady nor Belichick would accept players who couldn't cut the mustard attitudinally. Not comparing McCarthy to Belichik, certainly, but what if there's a cultural change underway, maybe centered around Dak and a few other players. Jimmy had coordinators come and go but there was a cultural core around Aikman, Irvin and Smith that kept the ship steady over a three or four years at least.

Brady obviously brought something to TB besides credentials. Manning obviously brought something to Denver besides just credentials. It's quite a leap to place that kind of mantle on Dak's shoulders. But it makes you wonder.

data

Forbes #1
We’re propping the coaching staff here and I’m going to go out on a limb here and make some presumptions that someone can correct me or provide more details…More important than McCarthy’s analytics, I think McCarthy brought his network, teh tree, of assistants/coaches that’s been coaching up the positions.

Obvious exception of Kellen Moore, is anyone else a holdover from 2019?

Would Dan Quinn have come here if Garrett were still HC?

Top Bottom