Columbia, SC, to exile its homeless

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
I guess I would argue that it isn't the reaponsibility of the city to care for the homeless. I would not want them living on my streets either.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I used to volunteer at a homeless shelter. Based on my own observations, you are right.

Also, there was a waiting list for the shelter. Many more people wanted to be there than they could hold. Some people in this thread are acting like homeless people would rather be on the street than in the shelter. That's generally not true.

Shelters aren't perfect. But they are out of the elements, the have beds, a tv, showers, bathrooms, a cafeteria, games, socializing, etc.

This plan sounds to me more humane than ignoring them and doing nothing or locking them up.
Sounds like SC is looking for a hybrid option between a shelter and a jail.

You know, the US wouldn't have as much of a homeless problem if hostels weren't essentially illegal. These people could probably afford a bed in a big dorm with a locker for their property and a mailbox so they can give potential employers an address, but in the US, apparently, you have to rent everyone a separate room.

Top Bottom