Cleveland Browns have talked to QB David Carr about a backup role if they draft his b

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yeah, that's a pretty stupid reason to target a player.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That sonofabitch.

Where's my pitchfork?
I'm just waiting for him to come to the NFL and get his brains beat in and have everyone blame the O-line for all the sacks he is taking. I also wonder how the rest of the NFL team would feel if Derek had his brother brought on the roster strictly to help tutor him. I would think that could bring some resentment from other players on the team.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If you draft a QB in the first round the competition is over.
I don't really care about the competition aspect, but putting David Carr in there to please him is not want you want either.

If you want him to have a solid mentor, then there are other, much better options you could choose from.

Carr hasn't started in years and hasn't played regularly since like 2007, and he couldn't read defenses worth a damn....and this is the guy you want to acquire just to make your pick happy?

That both foolish and unnecessary.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is foolish and unnecessary to make a big deal out of this. I don’t see the big deal at all.

Carp

DCC 4Life
BTW...who is this all knowing mentor out there available to him who wants to be a 3d stringer in freaking Clev?

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
This is so stupid for all kinds of reasons, but for now I'll just stick to one - the last guy I'd want mentoring my young, and potential franchise QB, is a huge bust and total NFL failure like David Carr.
Well that is going to be a major problem because many/most QB coaches and mentors we're NFL failures or former marginal players.

Honestly, I don't see the big deal here. His brother probably taught him a bunch of stuff growing up and for all we know is a really good mentor. Nobody here has a clue about that.

NFL offensive coordinators listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_active_National_Football_League_offensive_coordinators

I don't see any NFL stars on this list. I didn't bother to look at QB coaches but I'd assume it looks similar.

Last edited:

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I don't really care about the competition aspect, but putting David Carr in there to please him is not want you want either.

If you want him to have a solid mentor, then there are other, much better options you could choose from.

Carr hasn't started in years and hasn't played regularly since like 2007, and he couldn't read defenses worth a damn....and this is the guy you want to acquire just to make your pick happy?

That both foolish and unnecessary.
Maybe Carr has stuck around despite not being starter material because he is good holding the clipboard. I'm with Carp on this one. I've seen enough QBs come into the league with decent skills only to get shaken mentally. Given that I think having someone who is maybe a future QB coach that the player trusts in the fold can help.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm with Carp on this one. Nothing wrong with bringing in his older brother to be a mentor, as long as the coaching staff is ok with it. Hell, it might be the coaching staff that proposed it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Schmitty agrees with me...cats and dogs living together...mass hysteria!

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe Carr has stuck around despite not being starter material because he is good holding the clipboard. I'm with Carp on this one. I've seen enough QBs come into the league with decent skills only to get shaken mentally. Given that I think having someone who is maybe a future QB coach that the player trusts in the fold can help.
Why not just bring him in as a QB coach then? I've never really understood the point of bringing in a player strictly to be a coach. Isn't that what your QB coach is for?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think someone who has played in the league can bring a different perspective. I also think Carr would be more open and transparent with his brother too. I know every roster spot is important, but to get wrapped around the axle over the 3d QB spot is gay.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Why not just bring him in as a QB coach then? I've never really understood the point of bringing in a player strictly to be a coach. Isn't that what your QB coach is for?
I don't know. Garrett kept getting third string gigs for a while because he was seen as a player/coach. I guess they might want him as a backup as well. NY did, for some reason, 4 of the last 5 years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't know. Garrett kept getting third string gigs for a while because he was seen as a player/coach. I guess they might want him as a backup as well. NY did, for some reason, 4 of the last 5 years.
To each there own but I'd just pay the guy to coach and use the roster spot on someone with potential to actually play and impact the team.

Top Bottom