Brugler: Ranking my favorite NFL Draft classes from 1 to 32

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

By Dane Brugler Apr 26, 2020

Doing power rankings like this is tough because I liked something about almost every draft class. I don’t think we had a team this year that completely bombed the draft. But I gave it my best shot to rank my favorite classes from 1 to 32.

The two most important criteria: quality of talent and value of where the player was taken. Teams with more draft picks had an obvious advantage, but value is still imperative. Also important: I did not include future draft picks acquired or active players who were involved in draft trades to rank these draft hauls. For example, Stefon Diggs didn’t factor into the Buffalo Bills’ spot on this list or DeAndre Hopkins with the Cardinals’ ranking.

I’ll be the first to admit that doing immediate draft grades are premature. But it is interesting to look back at these power rankings in a year or two to see how the instant reactions held up. (Here are my rankings from 2019).

1. Baltimore Ravens

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (28)Patrick QueenLBLSU
2 (55)JK DobbinsRBOhio State
3 (71)Justin MadubuikeDTTexas A&M
3 (92)Devin DuvernayWRTexas
3 (98)Malik HarrisonLBOhio State
3 (106)Tyre PhillipsOT/GMississippi State
4 (143)Ben BredesonOGMichigan
5 (170)Broderick WashingtonDTTexas Tech
6 (201)James ProcheWRSMU
7 (219)Geno StoneDSIowa
Favorite pick: JK Dobbins, RB, Ohio State

It was tough to pick just one player here because the Ravens had a great haul. But Dobbins really stood out due to the value at No. 55 overall and the talent he adds to an already dynamic Baltimore backfield. I could have easily said Queen or Duvernay, but landing Dobbins outside the top-50 picks was a steal.

Day three pick who could surprise: James Proche, WR, SMU
The Ravens used a 2021 fifth-rounder to get into the sixth round to draft Proche. Due to his lack of ideal size and speed, it wasn’t a surprise to see him fall, but Proche is a king-sized competitor with big-time ball skills. The Ravens are the masters at staying put and allowing talent to fall to them so the fact that they traded up to get Proche says something.

2. Dallas Cowboys

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (17)CeeDee LambWROklahoma
2 (51)Trevon DiggsCBAlabama
3 (82)Neville GallimoreDTOklahoma
4 (123)Reggie RobinsonCBTulsa
4 (146)Tyler BiadaszOCWisconsin
5 (179)Bradlee AnaeEdgeUtah
7 (231)Ben DiNucciQB
James Madison

Favorite pick: CeeDee Lamb, WR, Oklahoma
Drafting my No. 7 overall player at No. 17 was fantastic value for the Cowboys, giving Dallas a dynamic trio at receiver with Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup and Lamb. The organization also deserves credit for passing on K’Lavon Chaisson and staying true to their board. Chaisson was their realistic No. 1 target, but the front office scrapped that plan when Lamb fell to them.

Day three pick who could surprise: Reggie Robinson, CB, Tulsa
With Chidobe Awuzie, Anthony Brown and Jourdan Lewis all under contract through the 2020 season, along with second-rounder Trevon Diggs, Robinson might not make an immediate impact this season. But it wouldn’t be a surprise if he wins a starting outside cornerback job entering the 2021 season.

3. Cleveland Browns

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (10)Jedrick WillsOTAlabama
2 (44)Grant DelpitDSLSU
3 (88)Jordan ElliottDTMissouri
3 (97)Jacob PhillipsLBLSU
4 (115)Harrison BryantTEFlorida Atlantic
5 (160)Nick HarrisOCWashington
6 (187)Donovan Peoples-JonesWRMichigan

Favorite pick: Jedrick Wills, OT, Alabama
A top-five ranked player on my board, the Browns drafted the best tackle in the class at No. 10 overall. I took some heat last fall when he shot to the top of my tackle rankings, but that reflects the tape and the Browns were able to get him. There is a projection with him moving from the right side to left tackle, but he has all the talent to do so and make Pro Bowls while on his rookie contract. My only gripe with the Browns’ class was their decision to draft Jacob Phillips over Malik Harrison, but I loved every other pick.

Day three pick who could surprise: Harrison Bryant, TE, Florida Atlantic
Part of the reason the Browns are so highly ranked on this list is the way they maximized the value of their three Day Three picks. Bryant might not be a bully as a blocker, but he can stretch the seam and shine in the quick passing game. Bryant has the talent to be an upgrade over David Njoku this season.

4. Minnesota Vikings

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (22)Justin JeffersonWRLSU
1 (31)Jeff GladneyCBTCU
2 (58)Ezra ClevelandOTBoise State
3 (89)Cameron DantzlerCBMississippi State
4 (117)D.J. WonnumEdgeSouth Carolina
4 (130)James LynchDTBaylor
4 (132)Troy DyeLBOregon
5 (169)Harrison HandCBTemple
5 (176)K.J. OsbornWRMiami
6 (203)Blake BrandelOTOregon State
6 (205)Josh MetellusDSMichigan
7 (225)Kenny WillekesEdgeMichigan State
7 (244)Nate StanleyQBIowa
7 (249)Brian Cole IIDSMississippi State
7 (253)Kyle HintonOC
Washburn

Favorite pick: Jeff Gladney, CB, TCU
My No. 3 ranked cornerback, Gladney isn’t tall, but he is long with quick feet and the bulldog mentality to challenge receivers up and down the field. Under the tutelage of Mike Zimmer, he will continue to iron out the kinks in his game and be a valuable inside-outside performer.

Day three pick who could surprise: Kenny Willekes, Edge, Michigan State
There were 11 to choose from, including Kyle Hinton, one of my favorite “small school” players this year. But I chose Willekes because he is used to outperforming what is expected of him, and I bet he will do that as a seventh-rounder. He is a natural fit in Minnesota’s scheme and culture.

5. Jacksonville Jaguars

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (9)C.J. HendersonCBFlorida
1 (20)K'Lavon ChaissonEdgeLSU
2 (42)Laviska ShenaultWRColorado
3 (73)DaVon HamiltonDTOhio State
4 (116)Ben BartchOT/G
St. John's
4 (137)Josiah ScottCBMichigan State
4 (140)Shaquille QuartermanLBMiami
5 (157)Daniel ThomasDSAuburn
5 (165)Collin JohnsonWRTexas
6 (189)Jake LutonQBOregon State
6 (206)Tyler DavisTEGeorgia Tech
7 (223)Chris ClaybrooksCBMemphis

Favorite pick: K’Lavon Chaisson, Edge, LSU

I don’t think the Jaguars expected to get Chaisson after they elected to go with CJ Henderson at No. 9 overall, but Lamb falling to Dallas helped push the pass rusher to No. 20. In back to back years, Jacksonville has been able to draft an SEC pass rusher in the first round who wasn’t supposed to fall to them.

Day three pick who could surprise: Josiah Scott, CB, Michigan State
In just a few seasons, the Jaguars went from arguably the best cornerback depth chart to arguably the worst. But they addressed that need in the top 10 and toward the end of the fourth round with Scott, who could have easily snuck into the top-100 picks. He is undersized, but fast and feisty and he could prove to be valuable in the slot.

6. Cincinnati Bengals

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (1)Joe BurrowQBLSU
2 (33)Tee HigginsWRClemson
3 (65)Logan WilsonLBWyoming
4 (107)Akeem Davis-GaitherLBAppalachian State
5 (147)Khalid KareemEdgeNotre Dame
6 (180)Hakeem AdenijiOT/GKansas
7 (215)Markus BaileyLBPurdue
Favorite pick: Joe Burrow, QB, LSU

I get it, I’m not exactly stepping out on a ledge here, but Burrow is a franchise-changer, making him an obvious choice for my favorite Cincinnati draft pick. He should be the clear favorite for early offensive rookie of the year odds.

Day three pick who could surprise: Khalid Kareem, Edge, Notre Dame
Although he doesn’t have the edge speed to pile up the sacks, Kareem is a physical edge-setter, which could earn him rookie on-field reps. With his length and bear claws for hands, he can reduce inside and attack the pocket from different angles.

7. Miami Dolphins

ROUND/PICK NO.
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (5)Tua TagovailoaQBAlabama
1 (18)Austin JacksonOTUSC
1 (30)Noah IgbinogheneCBAuburn
2 (39)Robert HuntOT/GLouisiana
2 (56)Raekwon DavisDTAlabama
3 (70)Brandon JonesDSTexas
4 (111)Solomon KindleyOGGeorgia
5 (154)Jason StrowbridgeDLNorth Carolina
5 (164)Curtis WeaverEdgeBoise State
6 (185)Blake FergusonLSLSU
7 (246)Malcolm PerryRB/WRNavy

Favorite pick: Tua Tagovailoa, QB, Alabama

No one knows if Tagovailoa will be able to stay healthy and be a reliable pro, but I applaud the Dolphins for taking the chance. It is worth gambling on premiere talents and the Hawaii native certainly qualifies with his quick, instinctive playing style.

Day three pick who could surprise: Curtis Weaver, Edge, Boise State
A “bad body” prospect who didn’t run a 40-yard dash at the combine for a reason, Weaver has some things working against him, but he was nothing except productive rushing off the edge in college. With his motor and aggressive hands, he was able to set a Mountain West Conference record with 34.0 career sacks and should be a valuable part of Miami’s pass rush rotation.

8. Washington Redskins

ROUND/PICK
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (2)Chase YoungEdgeOhio State
3 (66)Antonio GibsonRB/WRMemphis
4 (108)Saahdiq CharlesOTLSU
4 (142)Antonio Gandy-GoldenWRLiberty
5 (156)Keith IsmaelOCSan Diego State
5 (162)Khaleke HudsonLB/SMichigan
7 (216)Kamren CurlDSArkansas
7 (229)James Smith-WilliamsEdge
NC State

Favorite pick: Chase Young, Edge, Ohio State

The top-ranked player in the draft class, Young is the obvious pick here. The Redskins didn’t have a second-round pick and drafted some high-risk/high-reward types in Antonio Gibson and Saahdiq Charles. But the Redskins belong this high on the list because of Young and the difference-making potential he brings to the field.

Day three pick who could surprise: Keith Ismael, OC, San Diego State
Starting center Chase Roullier is entering a contract year and Ismael gives the Redskins insurance in case he isn’t part of the organization in 2021. After drafting Ross Pierschbacher last year, Washington has done a nice job adding quality depth on the interior offensive line in the fifth round.

9. Denver Broncos

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (15)Jerry JeudyWRAlabama
2 (46)KJ HamlerWRPenn State
3 (77)Michael OjemudiaCBIowa
3 (83)Lloyd CushenberryOCLSU
3 (95)McTelvin AgimDTArkansas
4 (118)Albert OkwuegbunamTEMissouri
5 (178)Justin StrnadLBWake Forest
6 (181)Netane MutiOGFresno State
7 (252)Tyrie ClevelandWRFlorida
7 (254)Derrek TuszkaEdge
North Dakota State

Favorite pick: Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama

The perfect complement to Courtland Sutton, Jeudy can uncover on demand with his start-stop athleticism and savvy as a route runner. With KJ Hamler, Albert Okwuegbunam and Jeudy, John Elway deserves credit for giving his second-year quarterback Drew Lock capable weapons to light up the scoreboard

Day three pick who could surprise: Netane Muti, OG, Fresno State
A top-50 prospect based on talent, Muti has disastrous medicals, but in the sixth round, his talent makes him worthy of the gamble. If he can stay healthy, Muti would be an immediate upgrade at right guard for Denver.

10. New York Jets

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (11)Mekhi BectonOTLouisville
2 (59)Denzel MimsWRBaylor
3 (68)Ashtyn DavisDSCalifornia
3 (79)Jabari ZunigaEdgeFlorida
4 (120)Lamical PerineRBFlorida
4 (125)James MorganQB
Florida International
4 (129)Cameron ClarkOTCharlotte
5 (158)Bryce HallCBVirginia
6 (191)Braden MannPTTexas A&M

Favorite pick: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

The Jets found their franchise left tackle in the first round with Mekhi Becton and continued to help Sam Darnold with a high-upside target in Mims. A player many thought would go in the first round, the Baylor product has length, speed and the upside to develop into a No. 1 target if the consistency catches up to his high-end traits.

Day three pick who could surprise: Cameron Clark, OT/G, Charlotte
Many will focus on the fact that the Jets drafted a quarterback in the fourth round, but four picks later, New York also picked up an intriguing offensive lineman with tackle-guard versatility. He is a fundamentally sound blocker with the tough-minded, cerebral approach to get the job done

11. Detroit Lions

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (3)Jeff OkudahCBOhio State
2 (35)D'Andre SwiftRBGeorgia
3 (67)Julian OkwaraEdgeNotre Dame
3 (75)Jonah JacksonOGOhio State
4 (121)Logan StenbergOGKentucky
5 (166)Quintez CephusWRWisconsin
5 (172)Jason HuntleyRBNew Mexico State
6 (197)John PenisiniDTUtah
7(235)Jashon CornellDTOhio State

Favorite pick: D’Andre Swift, RB, Georgia

I like Jeff Okudah a lot, but Swift was my favorite pick of the Lions’ draft haul. A first-round talent, Detroit grabbed the Georgia runner about 10 spots after he should have gone. With his uncanny ability to make defenders miss, Swift is going to see plenty of carries and targets this season as a rookie.

Day three pick who could surprise: Quintez Cephus, WR, Wisconsin
Before the combine, several teams were thinking Cephus could have been a top-100 pick, but a 4.73 in the 40-yard dash derailed those projections. That ultimately allowed Detroit to steal him in the fifth round. Although he isn’t a burner, Cephus uses his basketball background to outrebound defensive backs at the catch point.

12. Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers

ROUND/PICK #PLAYERPOSITIONSCHOOL
1 (7)Derrick BrownDTAuburn
2 (38)Yetur Gross-MatosEdgePenn State
2 (64)Jeremy ChinnDS
Southern Illinois
4 (113)Troy PrideCBNotre Dame
5 (152)Kenny RobinsonDSWest Virginia
6 (184)Bravvion RoyDTBaylor
7 (221)Stantley Thomas-Oliver IIICBFIU

Favorite pick: Jeremy Chinn, FS, Southern Illinois

We knew there was a good chance the run on safeties wouldn’t start until the second round, but the order was anyone’s guess. Chinn ended up being the fifth one off the board and lasted longer than he should have, luring the Panthers to a trade up where they drafted him with the final pick in the second round.

Day three pick who could surprise: Kenny Robinson, SS, XFL
In one draft, the Panthers gave their safety depth chart a facelift. Chinn should earn a starting role as a rookie. But Robinson, the first (and maybe only) XFL player picked in the NFL Draft, could also see early playing time as a first-year player.

13. Kansas City Chiefs
ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (32)Clyde Edwards-HelaireRBLSU
2 (63)Willie GayLBMississippi State
3 (96)Lucas NiangOTTCU
4 (138)L'Jarius SneedCBLouisiana Tech
5 (177)Mike DannaEdgeMichigan
7 (237)Thakarius KeyesCBTulane
Favorite pick: Clyde Edwards-Helaire, RB, LSU

One of the best team-player fits in this draft class, Edwards-Helaire is a perfect addition to the Chiefs’ backfield. A Brian Westbrook style player, his ability as a pass-catcher is going to make him a monster in PPR leagues in fantasy football this season.
Day three pick who could surprise: L’Jarius Sneed, CB, Louisiana Tech
Although he played safety last season, Sneed is a much more natural corner with his length and speed. His ball skills could help him move up the depth chart and his experience at safety will only help his ability to find the field early in his career.

14. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (13)Tristan WirfsOTIowa
2 (45)Antoine Winfield Jr.DSMinnesota
3 (76)Ke'Shawn VaughnRBVanderbilt
5 (161)Tyler JohnsonWRMinnesota
6 (194)Khalil DavisDTNebraska
7 (241)Chapelle RussellLBTemple
7 (245)Raymond CalaisRBLouisiana

Favorite pick: Tristan Wirfs, OT, Iowa

The Buccaneers didn’t leave it to chance, trading up one spot to make sure they landed Wirfs, one of the best offensive tackles in this draft class. He should win the starting right tackle job during camp and can fill in at left tackle if needed, helping to stabilize Tampa’s offensive line as it looks to keep Tom Brady upright and healthy.

Day three pick who could surprise: Tyler Johnson, WR, Minnesota
Many on Twitter think I hate Johnson because I graded him as a fourth- or fifth-rounder and not a second-rounder, but I thought he was drafted right around where he should have been. He will have a tough time breaking through a crowded receiver depth chart, but he will prove to be worth the pick over the next few seasons.

15. New Orleans Saints
ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (24)Cesar RuizOG/CMichigan
3 (74)Zack BaunLBWisconsin
3 (105)Adam TrautmanTE
Dayton
7 (240)Tommy StevensQBMississippi State
Favorite pick: Zack Baun, LB, Wisconsin

I also loved the Adam Trautman selection, but Baun gets the nod as my favorite Saints’ pick because he was drafted a full round later than he should have been and gives New Orleans much-needed athleticism and youth at the position.
Day three pick who could surprise: Tommy Stevens, QB, Mississippi State
With only one day three pick, I didn’t have many options for this category. Stevens is a basement-level passer in terms of his coverage reads, decision-making and anticipation. But he is a good-sized athlete and it will be tough for him to escape the obvious Taysom Hill comparisons.

16. Tennessee Titans
ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (29)Isaiah WilsonOTGeorgia
2 (61)Kristian FultonCBLSU
3 (93)Darrynton EvansRBAppalachian State
5 (174)Larrell MurchisonDT
NC State
7 (224)Cole McDonaldQBHawaii
7 (243)Chris JacksonSMarshall
Favorite pick: Darrynton Evans, RB, Appalachian State

Isaiah Wilson and Kristian Fulton were a solid two-round haul, but the addition of Evans was my favorite pick for Tennessee. With Derrick Henry on the franchise tag, there isn’t much depth behind him at running back and Evans could prove to be a productive complementary option due to his speed and vision when given a runway.

Day three pick who could surprise: Larrell Murchison, DT, NC State
Murchison had uneven tape in college, but his gap-shooting quickness and pass rush potential is a great fit in Tennessee’s scheme. He should be a rotational lineman as a rookie, earning more and more playing time as time goes on.

17. Indianapolis Colts

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
2 (41)Jonathan TaylorRBWisconsin
2 (34)Michael PittmanWRUSC
3 (85)Julian BlackmonDSUtah
4 (122)Jacob EasonQBWashington
5 (149)Danny PinterOGBall State
6 (212)Dezmon PatmonWRWashington State
6 (211)Isaiah RodgersCBUMass
6 (193)Robert WindsorDTPenn State
6 (213)Jordan GlasgowLB/SMichigan

Favorite pick: Michael Pittman, WR, USC

In almost all of my second-round mock drafts, I connected the Colts and Pittman because of the natural fit. Complementing TY Hilton’s speed, Pittman is a power forward who is physical to the ball and wins the catch point. And with his character and intangibles, he fits the Colts’ culture.

Day three pick who could surprise: Jordan Glasgow, LB, Michigan
Whenever you watched Michigan’s 2019 defense, it was the No. 29 jersey that kept flashing, even more than Josh Uche. He is undersized with average athletic traits, but he is a maniac on special teams with the “make it” attitude that could keep him in the NFL for the next decade.

18. Arizona Cardinals

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (8)Isaiah SimmonsLBClemson
3 (72)Josh JonesOTHouston
4 (114)Leki FotuDTUtah
4 (131)Rashard LawrenceDLLSU
6 (202)Evan WeaverLBCalifornia
7 (222)Eno BenjaminRBArizona State

Favorite pick: Isaiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

Josh Jones in the third round is ridiculous value, but it is tough not to pick Simmons, who is the ideal modern-day linebacker. I hope Arizona’s defensive coaching staff understands that the key to his value is his versatility, and puts him in a position to manipulate the offense and help everyone else on the defense.

Day three pick who could surprise: Eno Benjamin, RB, Arizona State
Benjamin was probably disappointed when he fell to the seventh round, but he went to a great situation. Not only does he stay in Arizona, but he joins an exciting offense with an opportunity to see touches as a rookie. If Kenyan Drake or Chase Edmonds are banged up, Benjamin might not give the job back.

19. Las Vegas Raiders

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (12)Henry RuggsWRAlabama
1 (19)Damon ArnetteCBOhio State
3 (80)Lynn BowdenWRKentucky
3 (81)Bryan EdwardsWRSouth Carolina
3 (100)Tanner MuseLBClemson
4 (109)John SimpsonOGClemson
4 (139)Amik RobertsonCBLouisiana Tech

Favorite pick: Henry Ruggs III, WR, Alabama

The Raiders know better than most teams the impact that Tyreek Hill makes on a football game so they went out and found their own version. Ruggs has special athleticism and it will be fun to see how Jon Gruden incorporates his skills into the offense. I thought Arnette was a reach, which is why the Raiders aren’t higher on this list.

Day three pick who could surprise: John Simpson, OG, Clemson
General manager Mike Mayock unsurprisingly added two Clemson players in this draft, including Simpson who was my No. 2 rated guard. With the future of Gabe Jackson in Las Vegas up in the air, Simpson could be a starter sooner than expected and I’ll bet he outplays his draft spot.

20. New York Giants

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (4)Andrew ThomasOTGeorgia
2 (36)Xavier McKinneyDSAlabama
3 (99)Matt PeartOTConnecticut
4 (110)Darnay HolmesCBUCLA
5 (150)Shane LemieuxOGOregon
6 (183)Cam BrownLBPenn State
7 (218)Carter CoughlinEdgeMinnesota
7 (238)T.J. BrunsonLBSouth Carolina
7 (247)Chris WilliamsonCBMinnesota
7 (255)Tae CrowderLBGeorgia

Favorite pick: Xavier McKinney, SS, Alabama

I didn’t grade McKinney as a first-round player, but anywhere in the second round made sense and that is where the Giants were able to get him. Although there are spacing issues in coverage, McKinney is one of the best run defenders in this class with the football IQ and coachable attitude that New York’s coaches will appreciate.

Day three pick who could surprise: Shane Lemieux, OG, Oregon
Although he isn’t an explosive player and is probably a guard only, Lemieux is a stubborn blocker who loves to keep busy and rarely comes off the field. The work ethic and dedication to his craft are qualities that could help him move up the depth chart for the Giants.

21. San Francisco 49ers

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (14)Javon KinlawDTSouth Carolina
1 (25)Brandon AiyukWRArizona State
5 (153)Colton McKivitzOT/GWest Virginia
6 (190)Charlie WoernerTEGeorgia
7 (217)Jauan JenningsWRTennessee

Favorite pick: Brandon Aiyuk, WR, Arizona State

The 49ers already have one of the best YAC receivers in the NFL with Deebo Samuel and they add another dynamic threat with the ball in his hands. Aiyuk is the definition of a playmaker due to his ability to turn simple slants into 70-yard plays. With Samuel, Aiyuk and George Kittle, the 49ers clearly (and smartly) value players who create after the catch.
Day three pick who could surprise: Jauan Jennings, WR, Tennessee
Although he is a slow-footed receiver, Jennings is one of the physically toughest receivers I’ve ever evaluated. He will work the middle of the field and power through contact to win the catch point and break tackles. He and Jalen Hurd give the 49ers a pair of intriguing “big” slot receivers.

22. Chicago Bears

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
2 (43)Cole KmetTENotre Dame
2 (50)Jaylon JohnsonCBUtah
5 (155)Trevis GipsonEdgeTulsa
5 (163)Kindle VildorCBGeorgia Southern
5 (173)Darnell MooneyWRTulane
7 (226)Arlington HambrightOTColorado
7 (227)Lachavious SimmonsOG
Tennessee State

Favorite pick: Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

I don’t think Johnson has an elite trait, but he is solid across the board and doesn’t really have a fatal flaw as a cover man. He can play inside-outside, press-man or zone and he owns the mentality that could earn him a starting role in training camp.

Day three pick who could surprise: Trevis Gipson, Edge, Tulsa
Although his tall center of gravity hurts his ability to stay low at times, Gipson competes with the energy and length that makes him tough to slow down. If the Bears’ coaches can get him to adopt more of a pass rush plan, he will end up outplaying his draft spot.

23. Pittsburgh Steelers

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
2 (49)Chase ClaypoolWRNotre Dame
3 (102)Alex HighsmithEdgeCharlotte
4 (124)Anthony McFarlandRBMaryland
4 (135)Kevin DotsonOGLouisiana
6 (198)Antoine BrooksDSMaryland
7 (232)Carlos DavisDTNebraska

Favorite pick: Alex Highsmith, Edge, Charlotte

A self-made player, Highsmith is a former walk-on who continued to blossom each season at Charlotte, ranking among the nation’s leaders in backfield production in 2019. He can be spotty in the run game, but he gives the Steelers a quarterback hunter worth developing behind Bud Dupree in case he isn’t in the long-term plans.

Day three pick who could surprise: Kevin Dotson, OG, Louisiana
The first non-combine prospect drafted, Dotson became Louisiana’s first AP All-American as a senior and turned himself into a draftable player. His calling card is his power, especially in the run game, which will fit well in Pittsburgh’s scheme.

24. Buffalo Bills
ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
2 (54)A.J. EpenesaEdgeIowa
3 (86)Zack MossRBUtah
4 (128)Gabriel DavisWRUCF
5 (167)Jake FrommQBGeorgia
6 (188)Tyler BassPKGeorgia Southern
6 (207)Isaiah HodginsWROregon State
7 (239)Dane JacksonCBPittsburgh
Favorite pick: A.J. Epenesa, Edge, Iowa

I also really loved the Zack Moss addition and what that means for the Bills’ backfield, but Epenesa had no business falling out of the top-50 picks. Is he an explosive speed rusher? No, but there is more than one way to disrupt the backfield. Epenesa’s heavy hands and rush savvy will allow him to win the point of attack and attack enemy territory.
Day three pick who could surprise: Gabriel Davis, WR, UCF
The Bills’ top-three receiver depth chart is set with Stefon Diggs, John Brown and Cole Beasley and the Bills have solid depth behind them, but Davis is an intriguing downfield threat with his high-pointing skills. His “my ball” mentality will translate to the pro game.

25. Philadelphia Eagles
ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (21)Jalen ReagorWRTCU
2 (53)Jalen HurtsQBOklahoma
3 (103)Davion TaylorLBColorado
4 (127)K'Von WallaceFSClemson
4 (145)Jack DriscollOTAuburn
5 (168)John HightowerWRBoise State
6 (196)Shaun BradleyLBTemple
6 (200)Quez WatkinsWRSouthern Mississippi
6 (210)Prince Tega WanoghoOTAuburn
7 (233)Casey ToohillEdgeStanford
Favorite pick: Jalen Reagor, WR, TCU

While he was drafted ahead of several receivers I had ranked higher, like Justin Jefferson and Brandon Aiyuk, Reagor has the explosive athleticism to be a playmaker. The drops and lack of size could be an issue, but he is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.
Day three pick who could surprise: Quez Watkins, WR, Southern Miss
The Eagles lacked receiver speed last season and they almost overcompensated with the number of speed receivers they added over draft weekend. Watkins has play strength concerns, but his easy acceleration allows him to stack corners vertically or destroy pursuit angles on crossers or slants.

26. Houston Texans
ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
2 (40)Ross BlacklockDTTCU
3 (90)Jonathan GreenardEdgeFlorida
4 (126)Charlie HeckOTNorth Carolina
4 (141)John ReidCBPenn State
5 (171)Isaiah CoulterWR
Rhode Island
Favorite pick: Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU

Blacklock to Houston in the second round was one of the pairings I liked in my second-round mock draft due to the talent and fit. With his athleticism and violent hands, he can beat blockers in multiple ways and has the versatility to play multiple positions on the Texans’ hybrid front. Despite not having a first-round pick, the Texans did well to land a talent like Blacklock.

Day three pick who could surprise: John Reid, CB, Penn State
One of my favorite day three prospects in this class, Reid is undersized, but he is quick-footed with natural man-cover skills, which fits well in Bill O’Brien’s defense. He can play inside or outside and is like a mosquito at a barbecue for receivers.

27. Los Angeles Chargers

ROUND/PICK NO.
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (6)Justin HerbertQBOregon
1 (23)Kenneth MurrayLBOklahoma
4 (112)Joshua KelleyRBUCLA
5 (151)Joe ReedWRVirginia
6 (186)Alohi GilmanDSNotre Dame
7 (220)K.J. HillWROhio State

Favorite pick: K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio State

A top-100 ranked player on my draft board, Hill fell all the way to the seventh round and that value is why he is my favorite pick for the Chargers. He is a slot-only player with 4.6 speed, but his route-running and ball skills make him a quarterback’s best friend.

Day three pick who could surprise: Joshua Kelley, RB, UCLA
Austin Ekeler is the starter and Justin Jackson is part of the mix, but Kelley will see immediate snaps as part of the backfield rotation. Although he isn’t overly elusive, he maximizes each touch and makes it a chore on defenders to finish him to the ground, bouncing off contact.

28. Green Bay Packers

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (26)Jordan LoveQBUtah State
2 (62)A.J. DillonRBBoston College
3 (94)Josiah DeguaraTECincinnati
5 (175)Kamal MartinLBMinnesota
6 (192)Jon RunyanOT/GMichigan
6 (208)Jake HansonOCOregon
6 (209)Simon StepaniakOGIndiana
7 (236)Vernon ScottDSTCU
7 (242)Jonathan GarvinEdgeMiami

Favorite pick: Jordan Love, QB, Utah State

This was a complicated choice, partly because I didn’t “love” any of the Packers’ draft picks. And I’m not convinced that quarterback was the right direction to go in the first round for Green Bay, but I am a believer in Love’s talent and upside.

Day three pick who could surprise: Jon Runyan, OT/G, Michigan
I don’t think he will have the same type of career as his Pro Bowl father, but Runyan competes with the grit and balance to work his way up the depth chart. He was a model of consistency for the Wolverines and should be able to provide depth at multiple positions.

29. Seattle Seahawks
ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (27)Jordyn BrooksLBTexas Tech
2 (48)Darrell TaylorEdgeTennessee
3 (69)Damien LewisOGLSU
4 (133)Colby ParkinsonTEStanford
4 (144)Deejay DallasRBMiami
5 (148)Alton RobinsonEdgeSyracuse
6 (214)Freddie SwainWRFlorida
7 (251)Stephen SullivanTE/WRLSU
Favorite pick: Deejay Dallas, RB, Miami (Fla.)

The Seahawks have a solid track record of finding productive runners in the mid-to-late rounds and I think that will continue with Dallas. One of the best pass protecting backs in the draft, he is a physical presence with ascending traits.
Day three pick who could surprise: Colby Parkinson, TE, Stanford
Seattle has a crowded tight end depth chart, but two years from now, Parkinson might be ready to win the top job. While he needs to develop his routes and consistency as a blocker, he has height, length and athletic traits to be a red zone threat before he grows into a more prominent role.

30. New England Patriots
ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
2 (37)Kyle DuggerDS
Lenoir-Rhyne
2 (60)Josh UcheEdgeMichigan
3 (87)Anfernee JenningsEdgeAlabama
3 (91)Devin AsiasiTEUCLA
3 (101)Dalton KeeneTEVirginia Tech
5 (159)Justin RohrwasserPKMarshall
6 (182)Mike OnwenuOGMichigan
6 (195)Justin HerronOTWake Forest
6 (204)Cassh MaluiaLBWyoming
7 (230)Dustin WoodardCMemphis
Favorite pick: Josh Uche, Edge, Michigan

Can he play on early downs? Can he drop in space? Uche comes with question marks, but his edge speed isn’t one of them. And he is going to a defensive system that will put him in a position that will highlight his strengths as a player.

Day three pick who could surprise: Justin Herron, OT, Wake Forest
A basketball-first athlete most of his life, Herron is still developing his timing and technique. However, his athletic twitch and foot quickness are building blocks for the Patriots’ coaching staff. He started 51 games at left tackle for Wake Forest, but has the skill set to play tackle or guard in the NFL.

31. Los Angeles Rams

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
2 (52)Cam AkersRBFlorida State
2 (57)Van JeffersonWRFlorida
3 (84)Terrell LewisEdgeAlabama
3 (104)Terrell BurgessDSUtah
4 (136)Brycen HopkinsTEPurdue
6 (199)Jordan FullerDSOhio State
7 (234)Clay JohnstonLBBaylor
7 (248)Sam SlomanPK
Miami (Ohio)
7 (250)Tremayne AnchrumOT/GClemson

Favorite pick: Terrell Burgess, FS, Utah

Burgess was barely a blip on the NFL radar in the summer, but he won a starting job as a senior and played at a high level, showing the ability to play safety, corner or nickel. His smarts and range allow him to read route combinations and make plays on the ball.

Day three pick who could surprise: Clay Johnston, LB, Baylor
Coming off an ACL injury, Johnston’s health will be important, but he was in the midst of an All-American type of season before the injury. He is a heat-seeking missile who will earn his paycheck on special teams while he fights for a role on defense.

32. Atlanta Falcons

ROUND/PICK #
PLAYER
POSITION
SCHOOL
1 (16)A.J. TerrellCBClemson
2 (47)Marlon DavidsonDLAuburn
3 (78)Matt HennessyOCTemple
4 (119)Mykal WalkerLBFresno State
4 (134)Jaylinn HawkinsDSCalifornia
7 (228)Sterling HofrichterPTSyracuse

Favorite pick: Marlon Davidson, DL, Auburn

The Falcons were looking for added help at defensive end and tackle so they drafted Davidson, who can play both spots. His lower body quickness and eager hands help him defeat blocks and get into the backfield and it will be interesting to see how Dan Quinn uses him. Davidson and Matt Hennessy were very good picks, but I wasn’t a fan of the Falcons’ other selections.

Day three pick who could surprise: Mykal Walker, LB, Fresno State
I had a seventh-round grade on Walker so it was surprising to see him drafted in the mid-fourth round. But Walker is easy to like as a player due to his athleticism and productive resume. Although he comes with position fit questions, he can be a core special teamer while he figures that out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, his favorite pick was still a reach. There wasn't much to like about the Eagles' draft.

Top Bottom