2022 Draft Big Boards, Position Rankings & Mocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
That's the thing. Could be an awful QB class and you still see first round QBs go. Just the way it works. I'm sure he will go in the first unless some other QBs sneak out of nowhere and impress more.

This is true. I don't know why teams don't learn though.

Shoehorning a QB into the first round that doesn't deserve it just because you need one historically has mostly ended in disaster.

Why keep making that mistake? Take a flyer later in the draft, and otherwise try again the following year.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not saying Howell is Lawrence or Manning or Luck.

But he's definitely the caliber of the guys who just went top 10 like Fields and Wilson.

And don't take that as overly negative either.... Howell could be very, very good in the NFL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm not saying Howell is Lawrence or Manning or Luck.

But he's definitely the caliber of the guys who just went top 10 like Fields and Wilson.

And don't take that as overly negative either.... Howell could be very, very good in the NFL.
I think he is a Baker Mayfield type first rounder.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think he is a Baker Mayfield type first rounder.
I see the comparisons. Body type not least among them.

Mayfield had a pretty good year this year fwiw. He's not elite but he's in the top 10-12 or so probably, and I could see him taking a leap and getting better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I see the comparisons. Body type not least among them.

Mayfield had a pretty good year this year fwiw. He's not elite but he's in the top 10-12 or so probably, and I could see him taking a leap and getting better.
Yeah not every first round QB is a physical marvel. Tua, Mayfield and guys like that would be my comp. Drew Brees was elite but no physical marvel.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Is Sam Howell the new Jason Garrett?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Is Sam Howell the new Jason Garrett?
There is at least hope for Howell so have to give Smitty a break on that one. Garrett lost his hope the day after he used all of his karma by winning that Thanksgiving Day game.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There is at least hope for Howell so have to give Smitty a break on that one. Garrett lost his hope the day after he used all of his karma by winning that Thanksgiving Day game.
Yeah I don't hate Howell. I don't think he is a given top QB prospect the way Fields and Lawrence were. But he could certainly be there.

On a side note I don't watch much North Carolina. His highlights look good but I've read their offense is kind of gimmicky. Any opinions on that?

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
True, Howell might be good. That would be a major difference.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah I don't hate Howell. I don't think he is a given top QB prospect the way Fields and Lawrence were. But he could certainly be there.

On a side note I don't watch much North Carolina. His highlights look good but I've read their offense is kind of gimmicky. Any opinions on that?
It's an air raid offense but I don't know how it would be gimmicky.

Also, again, comparing Howell to Lawrence is unfair. Lawrence is one of those QBs in the mold of Luck and Manning who come along like once every half generation or so that are "can't miss" kind of guys.

I think Howell stacks up (or, will stack up) very well to the rest of the QBs that come down the pike though. That is to say, he could be Baker Mayfield or Jameis Winston, he could be Carson Wentz or Deshaun Watson as well. I'm not gonna go out on a limb and say Patrick Mahomes, but Howell has all the skills to be a Drew Brees-light.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's an air raid offense but I don't know how it would be gimmicky.
Yeah was just reading that it did a disservice to his draft stock because it's all RPO and bombs away type stuff if I remember correctly.

Couchcoach

DCC 4Life
Yeah was just reading that it did a disservice to his draft stock because it's all RPO and bombs away type stuff if I remember correctly.
That's why I thought Mahomes was just another product of a wide open, air it out offense. I really didn't think he was anything special. We see these types every year.
I'm still eating my own words

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's why I thought Mahomes was just another product of a wide open, air it out offense. I really didn't think he was anything special. We see these types every year.
I'm still eating my own words
Yeah the system clearly doesn't make a QB bad or good. But I also wonder if Mahomes sort of fell into the perfect situation with the best teacher of QBs in the NFL. Had he gone to say the Cowboys with Garrett would it have really worked out the same?

Anyway, wasn't trying to imply Howell is a system QB. Hell there are NFL like College offenses that have QBs fail in the NFL all the time. But I also wouldn't read a ton into stats.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think absolutely that's true.
Yep, I said when he was coming out of college that whatever coach he landed with would determine his success in the NFL. He got very lucky.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Yeah the system clearly doesn't make a QB bad or good. But I also wonder if Mahomes sort of fell into the perfect situation with the best teacher of QBs in the NFL. Had he gone to say the Cowboys with Garrett would it have really worked out the same?
Yeah not only did he get Reid he also got to sit and learn his first season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom