Best TV/streaming for college/NFL football

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Yeah, but at the end of the day, it is getting close.

The nickel and dime shit is what is killer.

It is the same racket, just packaged differently.

I remember the brief relief from big phone companies and long distance charges when cell phones came around.

Now it is just the same sort of thing. Just different.
I was happy after getting rid of DISH 7 years ago but I knew they’d find their way back into my pocket.

Now I have Youtube TV, YT premium, Netflix, Disney, Hulu. And my internet bill is 95 bucks a month.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I just signed up for YouTube TV last night. So far it's been great.

I'm going to give DirecTV a call later today and let them know I'm kicking their expensive ass to the curb.

So far the only drawback that I have with YouTube TV is that I haven't been able to figure out a way to quickly jump between channels. I'm so used to hitting a number to quickly jump to the station I want to watch but with YouTube you have to scroll through the channel guide to find your channel.

It's a minor inconvenience that I'm willing to put up with for the savings.

One pleasant surprise is I didn't know my regular Sony Bravia TV remote actually works with YouTube TV and with my Firestick. It's an older TV as well. I bought it about 10 years ago and it's not even a smart TV.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
So far the only drawback that I have with YouTube TV is that I haven't been able to figure out a way to quickly jump between channels. I'm so used to hitting a number to quickly jump to the station I want to watch but with YouTube you have to scroll through the channel guide to find your channel.

I did the same with Fubo, and like you say it is a big disadvantage to not quickly flip through the channels. No doubt that the dish or cable is better. But it's not so much better that it's worth $80-100 more per month. And at least with these streaming apps there's no contract.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I did the same with Fubo, and like you say it is a big disadvantage to not quickly flip through the channels. No doubt that the dish or cable is better. But it's not so much better that it's worth $80-100 more per month. And at least with these streaming apps there's no contract.
Wish I could cut the cable. I live out in the country and the internet isn't reliable enough to do so, unfortunately.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Wish I could cut the cable. I live out in the country and the internet isn't reliable enough to do so, unfortunately.
The only thing is, I really prefer the satellite. In some ways it's a lot better.

So you're paying more, but it is in most ways a better product. I just changed from Directv because they went from like $90 a month to $160, and when I called they refused to budge. (Of course I still get robocalls from them begging me to come back.) I came really close to going to DishTv for like $109 a month, but thought I'd try this first, and it's been acceptable enough to stick with.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

I'm going to give DirecTV a call later today and let them know I'm kicking their expensive ass to the curb.

One pleasant surprise is I didn't know my regular Sony Bravia TV remote actually works with YouTube TV and with my Firestick. It's an older TV as well. I bought it about 10 years ago and it's not even a smart TV.
Yeah I was paying for Directv and switched to YoutubeTV probably almost a year ago now. I like YoutubeTV and the price is a million times better. Plus it's super easy to add and remove stuff when I want to. You want HBO for a few months add it, you realize HBO doesn't have anything good coming out for awhile, remove it. No talking to anyone just pick and remove on the menus. DirecTV bills had just got out of hand for me. Plus we watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and every other damn streaming service. So it doesn't really make sense to pay a bunch for a satellite.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
Yeah I was paying for Directv and switched to YoutubeTV probably almost a year ago now. I like YoutubeTV and the price is a million times better. Plus it's super easy to add and remove stuff when I want to. You want HBO for a few months add it, you realize HBO doesn't have anything good coming out for awhile, remove it. No talking to anyone just pick and remove on the menus. DirecTV bills had just got out of hand for me. Plus we watch Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and every other damn streaming service. So it doesn't really make sense to pay a bunch for a satellite.
How much arguing did they do when you told them to kick sand?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much arguing did they do when you told them to kick sand?
I got calls at least once a week. Sometimes more. Begging me to come back with new super great pricing. And even at their best pricing it wasn't as cheap and I knew that it would be a short time before that price jumped again. That's what I love about YoutubeTV for example. It's always the same unless I add something or change something. No more of the bullshit watching my bill every month wondering what the hell it will be.

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
I got calls at least once a week. Sometimes more. Begging me to come back with new super great pricing. And even at their best pricing it wasn't as cheap and I knew that it would be a short time before that price jumped again. That's what I love about YoutubeTV for example. It's always the same unless I add something or change something. No more of the bullshit watching my bill every month wondering what the hell it will be.
I gotta do it this week. Been dreading it, but Im paying a metric shit ton, and I can't remember the last time I turned on Directv.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I gotta do it this week. Been dreading it, but Im paying a metric shit ton, and I can't remember the last time I turned on Directv.
Usually they offer a 7 day free trial but over the weekend they sent me an email offering a 2 week free trial. That's what I'm using now. I'll be keeping it after my two weeks are up.

The only other drawback that I noticed is that I can't link my current "free" HBO Max account that I get through AT&T to my YouTube TV account. So if I want to watch HBO I have to do so through the HBO app.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The only other drawback that I noticed is that I can't link my current "free" HBO Max account that I get through AT&T to my YouTube TV account. So if I want to watch HBO I have to do so through the HBO app.
The epitome of first world problems. :lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Don’t know if you know this but you are legally allowed to share YouTube TV with family, like up to 5 people. Might be geographically limited. But my dad pays for it and shares it with me and my two sisters, so I get it for free.

And I get like my own “sub account” with my own favorites, DVR, etc.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Don’t know if you know this but you are legally allowed to share YouTube TV with family, like up to 5 people. Might be geographically limited. But my dad pays for it and shares it with me and my two sisters, so I get it for free.

And I get like my own “sub account” with my own favorites, DVR, etc.
Yeah, I noticed that. One question for you regarding your sub account. From my understanding only 3 people can be logged in at the same time. Is that login limit for the entire account or does each sub account get a 3 login limit?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, I noticed that. One question for you regarding your sub account. From my understanding only 3 people can be logged in at the same time. Is that login limit for the entire account or does each sub account get a 3 login limit?
I’m relatively sure I’ve been watching two streams on separate devices at the same time on my sub account, but I’m not positive.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I tried YouTube before. The only drag was a couple of channels that were deal breakers for me.

But at the end of the day, our family probably pays just as much with all the add-ons with Hulu as we did with Direct.

I blame the wife. Every now and again some weird shit shows up. It's a trial!

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
Usually they offer a 7 day free trial but over the weekend they sent me an email offering a 2 week free trial. That's what I'm using now. I'll be keeping it after my two weeks are up.

They offered me the friggin moon. lol We were with them for the better part of 20 years. I just dont use it. Honestly the idea of me changing my schedule to watch anything on TV is kind of ridiculous at this point.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’m relatively sure I’ve been watching two streams on separate devices at the same time on my sub account, but I’m not positive.
Yeah you can watch 3 streames. But I think that's between all sub accounts. So if you share with a realities that's ok, but you can't both have stuff streaming on 2 TVs at the same time for example. If it's just at one house you can have 3 TVs going at once but not 4.

I've honestly never been in a situation where we have tried running 4 streams though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
They offered me the friggin moon. lol We were with them for the better part of 20 years. I just dont use it. Honestly the idea of me changing my schedule to watch anything on TV is kind of ridiculous at this point.
I think I used up my bitch at the man card with Direct.

I used to play that game. I got Sunday Ticket free for about three years, then then gave me the stiff arm when streaming started picking up.

They are literally dying right now, which is probably why they had an agent on the phone with you offering perks.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I think I used up my bitch at the man card with Direct.

I used to play that game. I got Sunday Ticket free for about three years, then then gave me the stiff arm when streaming started picking up.

They are literally dying right now, which is probably why they had an agent on the phone with you offering perks.
They have their own stream service now, DirecTV stream.

It's cheaper than their standard satellite service but it's pricier than YouTube TV because they still do that shady tactic where they put specific channels on different tiers to force people to upgrade their service.

Top Bottom