BBQ Thread

ZeroClub

UFA
A half dozen years ago, a friend gave me a copy of Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto, Franklin & Mackay (2015). It was an eye-opener for me ... not so much for what Franklin does, but more for what he doesn't do (injections, gourmet rubs, etc.).

For pork ribs and Boston butt, I use Franklin's 2 part 16-mesh ground pepper, 1 part kosher salt rub (sometimes with paprika). I skip the slather; the rub sticks fine if applied soon after the meat is rinsed. Simple and works great.

I cook on a Green Egg and, when smoking, I keep a pan of water under the grill grate. With the pan in place, it is difficult to dry out anything (injected or not).

For years I'd inject butts and cook them low and slow (at or under 235 degrees), but later I started to experiment (in part based on what I read on the web). I no longer inject. Now I routinely start out with the grill ~250-270 and keep it there until the meat reaches 140 or so; then I crank the grill up to 325-350. I foil at an internal temp of 160-170, add some liquid to the foil -- beer or fruit juice, doesn't matter -- and then hike the grill up a bit more (~360 or 370) and cook to an internal temp of ~203. These higher temps power through the stall.

I used to cook to an internal temp of 195, but later discovered that 203-205 is right for me (I assume the foil + liquid allow the higher internal temp to work).

I've come to believe that there are several ways to get great results with a Boston butt ... that there isn't just one best way.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I’ll be smoking a 6.5 Lb pork butt tomorrow. I’m really stoked. My wife isn’t much of a pork eater, so I don’t get to make it often.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ll be smoking a 6.5 Lb pork butt tomorrow. I’m really stoked. My wife isn’t much of a pork eater, so I don’t get to make it often.
Yeah I don't smoke enough because my wife and kids don't really care for it. I usually do when I've got a BBQ or something with other people coming over. Hoping when my 2 year old and 4 month old get older they will appreciate BBQ like I do.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Yeah I don't smoke enough because my wife and kids don't really care for it. I usually do when I've got a BBQ or something with other people coming over. Hoping when my 2 year old and 4 month old get older they will appreciate BBQ like I do.
My wife and son love it when I make things like brisket, beef ribs, and chicken. But since she’s not much if a pork person, I don’t make things like pork butt often. I’ll make a rack of ribs for me, but a pork butt feeds a small army.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
As i'm prepping a butt, i'll make a batch of bbq sauce and slaw to go with it.

Everyone loves bbq slawcos.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Depends on the slaw.
I hate slaw, so much so that it'll almost make me throw up smelling it under normal circumstances.

But this shit i'll share with you, I could just about eat the whole damn bowl myself.

Slaw combined with the salty sauce and that barky ass bbq, holy shit I think i'm gonna smoke a butt this weekend, too.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Slaw don't go round here, Slaw Dawg!

1 finely shredded head of each, green and red cabbage
4 large shredded carrots
1 shredded red onion
1 1/2 cups mayo
6 TB apple cider vinegar
2-4 TB sugar
Salt
Pepper

Combine shredded veggies in large bowl or container.

Mix up remaining ingredients, then pour over veggies.

Shake it like hell and let it refigerate for a couple hours.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It is smoke season!

I smoked the best brisket of my life yesterday.

16lb of prime brisket
Salt and pepper

I put it on at midnight, crashed at about 2am, woke up at 8am and dammed if it wasn’t 185 internal. Exactly where I wanted it. Wrapped it with butcher paper and put that sucker on until 200 internal. Absolutely beautiful in every possible way.

I like to wrap with heavy foil, a bunch of towels and throw it in a cooler for 3-4 hours.

That shit was hittin!

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I need a suggestion(s) for a 13lb ribeye roll.

I want to smoke it, but I’m not finding much info online.

I want to do a low and slow smoke in my smoker. Any suggestions for temp and time?

Edit: No bone and lip on.

Last edited:

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

I want to do a low and slow smoke in my smoker. Any suggestions for temp and time?

Having never smoked one, I would assume you'd want to pull it at 140-145.

I've got six turkeys brining, ready to throw them on tomorrow morning.

ZeroClub

UFA

I've never done one, but would be interested to hear how you decide to do yours.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm about to throw a brisket on the smoker tonight. My family will be dazzled by my brisket skills.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
I’m going to wing it and see what happens.

I’ve never done one like this, but I’m going to coat it with maple syrup, brown sugar, minced garlic, and pappy’s.

Smoke at 200 for about 6 hours or until internal gets to about 130 degrees and see what happens.

Wish me luck.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I wish you luck and looking forward to the review.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I'm about to throw a brisket on the smoker tonight. My family will be dazzled by my brisket skills.
So your family doesn't already know about your brisket skills?

Top Bottom