BBQ Thread

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Trimmed my brisket and stuffed the fat cap with garlic.

Let's do this.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
I'd be interested in how that turns out, too.
I’ve never tried stuffing the meat or using injections, so I’m always interested in new techniques to make the food even better than it normally is.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I’ve never tried stuffing the meat or using injections, so I’m always interested in new techniques to make the food even better than it normally is.
Injection is really good. Especially with chicken, ham and turkey (if you like turkey). Get that needle right underneath the skin and inject evenly. It gives the meat such a good and even flavor.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I’ve never done that with the fat cap before. Let me know how it turns out.
I always do it and it's fucking delicious.

Twist the point of a knife and wallow out about 50 -75 small incisions all across the cap. If you dig too far through the cap and into the meat, no big deal.

Take about 5 - 8 cloves of garlic and slice it up lenghtwise, and stuff the slices into the incisions.

Obviously if you don't like garlic, I wouldn't suggest it.

But I do that, then put a rub mix of 1/2 coarse sea salt and 1/2 coarsely ground black pepper and that's it.

I like simplicity and consistency of this mix, always a damn good brisket.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I always do it and it's fucking delicious.

Twist the point of a knife and wallow out about 50 -75 small incisions all across the cap. If you dig too far through the cap and into the meat, no big deal.

Take about 5 - 8 cloves of garlic and slice it up lenghtwise, and stuff the slices into the incisions.

Obviously if you don't like garlic, I wouldn't suggest it.

But I do that, then put a rub mix of 1/2 coarse sea salt and 1/2 coarsely ground black pepper and that's it.

I like simplicity and consistency of this mix, always a damn good brisket.
What would be the correct amount of Mayo to be injected?

Asking for a friend.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Better food day: 4th of July or Thanksgiving?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
What would be the correct amount of Mayo to be injected?

Asking for a friend.
A good aioli is always a welcome dipping sauce.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Smoked a bunch of chicken and ribs for todays dinner, and currently babysitting a stubborn pork butt that won't get past the stall for pulled pork tomorrow

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Smoked a bunch of chicken and ribs for todays dinner, and currently babysitting a stubborn pork butt that won't get past the stall for pulled pork tomorrow
Getting past the stall of the most satisfying though. At that point you know you’ve experienced the domination of the pig.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Ok. Which one of you guys here uses a Traeger? My wife and kids gave me a Traeger pro series 34 for fathers day last night. (just returned home yesterday, was away working)

I've never used one of these. Fill me in on the pros and cons. Does it really work well as they say as a grill, or should I just stick with my coal grill and use it strictly for smoking?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Ok. Which one of you guys here uses a Traeger? My wife and kids gave me a Traeger pro series 34 for fathers day last night. (just returned home yesterday, was away working)

I've never used one of these. Fill me in on the pros and cons. Does it really work well as they say as a grill, or should I just stick with my coal grill and use it strictly for smoking?
Following.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Not sure on the Traegers but in terms of pellet grills I do all my grilling on mine. I can get it super hot and open it up so the flames hit the meat if I want.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

I dont have a Traeger but it is a pellet grill. Love it. Pros: its pretty much hands free. Just let it do its thing. More time to do other stuff. Cons: stigma of being a pellet grill from BBQ snobs.

I do have the inserts to use charcoal or wood but have only smoked on mine.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Depending on how long it’s been on the smoker, I’ll occasionally crank the heat up to power the meat through the stall and then drop it back down afterward.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Woohoo, it's bring your smoker to work day!!!

Breastesses and wangs bout to get wrapped up in a pecan/cherry haze.

Top Bottom