BBQ Thread

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
We have the best BBQ in the nation. In that same regard, we have some of the best cattle farmers in the nation.
Is Spanky's still cranking out fried cheese?

When I was at TTU, we would go eat chicken fried steak at some place off 4th street (IIRC) and it was like 2 bucks. The CFS came with these fried biscuits (I think they were just those canned biscuits that pop when you open them thrown into oil and fried) and honey that were off the charts and I'd always blow another 10 bucks gorging those damn things. Does that sound familiar? I cant remember the name of the place.

I was look on google map for it but cant find it, did they get rid of Clements dorm (looks like its all Hulen now)?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Anyone else on overnight smoker duty? Got a couple briskets and pork butts to watch over, also will be throwing on some ribs in the morning and bunch of brats close to eating time

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Anyone else on overnight smoker duty? Got a couple briskets and pork butts to watch over, also will be throwing on some ribs in the morning and bunch of brats close to eating time
Sorry I wasn't here for you, bro. But, I will be reverse searing some pork chops in a few. I was going to do a pork butt, but I think I'm going to save that for tomorrow. So, I will take watch tomorrow night.

Cotton

Staff member
Is Spanky's still cranking out fried cheese?

When I was at TTU, we would go eat chicken fried steak at some place off 4th street (IIRC) and it was like 2 bucks. The CFS came with these fried biscuits (I think they were just those canned biscuits that pop when you open them thrown into oil and fried) and honey that were off the charts and I'd always blow another 10 bucks gorging those damn things. Does that sound familiar? I cant remember the name of the place.

I was look on google map for it but cant find it, did they get rid of Clements dorm (looks like its all Hulen now)?
Damn, I don't know how I missed this. Was the CFS place near Tech? They put in the Marsha Sharp freeway so a lot of stuff along 4th near Tech got torn down to make way for it. You may be talking about Copper Caboose?

Clement is still there. Hulen/Clement are both one building. Hulen on one end and Clement on the other. They are right next to Wall/Gates.

Clement.PNG

yimyammer

shitless classpainter
Damn, I don't know how I missed this. Was the CFS place near Tech? They put in the Marsha Sharp freeway so a lot of stuff along 4th near Tech got torn down to make way for it. You may be talking about Copper Caboose?

Clement is still there. Hulen/Clement are both one building. Hulen on one end and Clement on the other. They are right next to Wall/Gates.
Its been 30 years since I was there but IIRC, it was right on 4th street a little east of the campus on the north side for the street. I did a search and found River Smiths and that sounded familiar but they're not open on Sunday and they look to be right on campus now. Do you know if they moved to the current location?

Clement was the dorm I was in while there but it wasn't coming up on google so I thought maybe it got merged into one dorm

Cotton

Staff member
Its been 30 years since I was there but IIRC, it was right on 4th street a little east of the campus on the north side for the street. I did a search and found River Smiths and that sounded familiar but they're not open on Sunday and they look to be right on campus now. Do you know if they moved to the current location?

Clement was the dorm I was in while there but it wasn't coming up on google so I thought maybe it got merged into one dorm
River Smiths is still around but it’s on Ave Q about a mile from campus. Google maps does show just Hulen but Clement is in that same building on the other end.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
That was me last week.

data

Forbes #1
Gonna shoot for crispy skin smoked chicken wings for first time. Putting down my process, feel free to make suggestions:

1. Pour boiling water over wings to render fat under skin
2. Towel dry the wings. Put in fridge a couple hours to get dry.
3. Dust with rub and baking powder.
4. Smoke at 250° for about 45 min total, flipping them halfway ~20 min mark
5. Crank up heat to 450° for another ~45 min until done at 175° internal temp.

Cotton

Staff member
Gonna shoot for crispy skin smoked chicken wings for first time. Putting down my process, feel free to make suggestions:

1. Pour boiling water over wings to render fat under skin
2. Towel dry the wings. Put in fridge a couple hours to get dry.
3. Dust with rub and baking powder.
4. Smoke at 250° for about 45 min total, flipping them halfway ~20 min mark
5. Crank up heat to 450° for another ~45 min until done at 175° internal temp.
You're essentially reverse-searing wings. That's cool. You'll have to let us know how they turn out.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

Smoking St. Louis ribs. I had to split the rack in half in oder to get it to fit into my container to brine it before smoking them.
Did you use a salt and brown sugar brine or did you get all fancy? How'd they turn out? I've never brined ribs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I made a 4 lb pork butt yesterday and I will be damned if I could get the stall to bust.

I finally got tired of it after 12 1/2 hours.

Maybe it was the meat. I have struggled with it before but never like that.

Cotton

Staff member
I made a 4 lb pork butt yesterday and I will be damned if I could get the stall to bust.

I finally got tired of it after 12 1/2 hours.

Maybe it was the meat. I have struggled with it before but never like that.
12 1/2 hours on a 4 lb pork butt? Dayum, son.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'd have cranked the heat up about 15-20 degrees.

And 12 1/2 hours is a ridiculous amount of time for 4 lbs of pork. What type of grill are you working with @boozeman?

Last edited:
Top Bottom