Archer: Will McClay Agrees To New Deal

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't personally think there's anything extra special about McClay in general NFL terms, he seems like maybe an above average to good personnel executive/GM type, but the influence he has over Stephen/Jerry to put the voice of the scouts/"football guys" front and center in the draft makes him worth his weight in gold.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So exciting. :yawnee

shane

DCC 4Life
I don't personally think there's anything extra special about McClay in general NFL terms, he seems like maybe an above average to good personnel executive/GM type, but the influence he has over Stephen/Jerry to put the voice of the scouts/"football guys" front and center in the draft makes him worth his weight in gold.
They have been killing it in recent drafts and now even the FA additions are working. Can’t argue with the results. Glad he’s being kept around.

p1_

DCC 4Life
its good he has their ear.

p1_

DCC 4Life
They have been killing it in recent drafts and now even the FA additions are working. Can’t argue with the results. Glad he’s being kept around.
free agency has been a whiff pretty much until this year. Im not sure what to attribute that to.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
free agency has been a whiff pretty much until this year. Im not sure what to attribute that to.
I would say it's been more like a walk. A whiff is trying and striking out like the Giants. We kind of just don't swing.

I wouldn't say that is as much McClay as Stephen Jones and how he manages the cap.

Last edited:

p1_

DCC 4Life
I would say it's been more like a walk. A whiff is trying and striking out like the Giants. We kind of just don't swing.

I wouldn't say that is as much McCray as Stephen Jones and how he manages the cap.
we would sign guys, but they'd be JAGs like Poe and Worley.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
we would sign guys, but they'd be JAGs like Poe and Worley.
Yeah when your budget is peanuts that's all you'll get. Of course I've never liked the way we allocate the budget. Give me one or 2 guy for a little money as opposed to 10 scrubs for the same price.

It has worked out at safety this time though.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I wouldn't say that is as much McCray as Stephen Jones and how he manages the cap.
Goof Son unquestionably gives him a budget. That puts constraints on what he can actually do.

But that keeps him getting raises. Just a weird business dynamic.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Goof Son unquestionably gives him a budget. That puts constraints on what he can actually do.

But that keeps him getting raises. Just a weird business dynamic.
If he was allowed to spend in free agency you could judge more fairly. But you can't compare a guy eating in a 5 dollar budget with a guy eating on a 100 dollar budget.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If he was allowed to spend in free agency you could judge more fairly. But you can't compare a guy eating in a 5 dollar budget with a guy eating on a 100 dollar budget.
I don't feel sorry for him. Real GMs have far more accountability.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't feel sorry for him. Real GMs have far more accountability.
Yep, he may love the position he's in. He gets a lot of credit for the draft hits while Jerry gets the blame for the bad ones.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep, he may love the position he's in. He gets a lot of credit for the draft hits while Jerry gets the blame for the bad ones.
Yeah, and he never has to get held to the standard of a GM as a result. The only thing I don't know is if he ever wants more power. The power to pick coaches, determine budgets and things of that sort. He will never have that power while the Jones's own the team. But hell most NFL teams don't really give their GM that power. It's why sometimes coaches are hired before a team even picks a GM. The truth is the old crusty NFL owners usually do that stuff anyway.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah, and he never has to get held to the standard of a GM as a result. The only thing I don't know is if he ever wants more power. The power to pick coaches, determine budgets and things of that sort. He will never have that power while the Jones's own the team. But hell most NFL teams don't really give their GM that power. It's why sometimes coaches are hired before a team even picks a GM. The truth is the old crusty NFL owners usually do that stuff anyway.
Probably better to have a guaranteed 85% of the power for as long as you want than 95-100% of the power for a few years, which could easily vacillate over time depending on how the wind blows with the owner/HC, with the possibility of being fired within 3-5 years.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Probably better to have a guaranteed 85% of the power for as long as you want than 95-100% of the power for a few years, which could easily vacillate over time depending on how the wind blows with the owner/HC, with the possibility of being fired within 3-5 years.
I mean our team is pretty talented. In terms of pure talent I think we are right there with the best teams in the NFL. So I really have no complaints there. Which is really what you hope for with a GM. Sure there is an element of luck in it. Lucky we got Dak instead of the other QBs we wanted and things like that. Lucky we got Parsons instead of a corner. But ultimately when the picks come up and he looks at the board, the board does him well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I mean our team is pretty talented. In terms of pure talent I think we are right there with the best teams in the NFL. So I really have no complaints there. Which is really what you hope for with a GM. Sure there is an element of luck in it. Lucky we got Dak instead of the other QBs we wanted and things like that. Lucky we got Parsons instead of a corner. But ultimately when the picks come up and he looks at the board, the board does him well.
I still hold him partially responsible for Taco Charlton.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I still hold him partially responsible for Taco Charlton.
I don't. Because I think if they followed the board it would have been Watt. But Marinelli was at it again forcing his bullshit down everyone's throats. That guy should never have a say in a draft room. He fucks shit up royally.

"I think the biggest issue,'' Jones said, "was we were playing a 4-3 there with Rod, and Rod was concerned about (Watt being able to) hold up against the run in the 4-3, and (he) didn't have that same concern with Taco.''

Top Bottom