Archer: Where will Cowboys use Tyler Smith?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Where will Cowboys use Tyler Smith? 'Just tell me where to go, and I'll go'

Will the Dallas Cowboys use last year's first-rounder Tyler Smith at guard or tackle in 2023? Matthew Pearce/Icon Sportswire

• Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer
  • May 9, 2023, 06:00 AM ET

FRISCO, Texas -- The draft is over. Free agency is mostly over, although there is always a possibility of adding somebody. The trade market never closes.
So, who will be the Dallas Cowboys’ left guard?

Is it free agent addition Chuma Edoga? Could the Cowboys move last season's right tackle, Terence Steele, who is rehabbing from torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his left knee? Might one of the young reserves the past couple of years, Matt Farniok or Josh Ball, be ready for full-time duty?

All would have to be in the mix, but the best option might be their first-round pick from a year ago, Tyler Smith.

“I’m like, ‘Just tell me where to go, and I’ll go,’” Smith recently told ESPN. “I’m ready to go wherever I can to contribute. I’m just ready to keep improving.”

When the Cowboys selected Smith, the idea was to let him work at left guard while knowing he is the left tackle of the future. Then Tyron Smith suffered a hamstring injury that required surgery at the end of training camp and Tyler Smith became the left tackle of the present.

He started all but one regular-season game at left tackle, with Tyron Smith moving to Steele’s spot after his return to action.

“I don't know if Tyler Smith can play any better as a rookie,” coach Mike McCarthy said. “I don't know how the awards shook out, but for him to accomplish what he accomplished. … You know, I saw (Kansas City Chiefs Hall of Famer) Will Shields go in Week 1 against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 1993, and I don't think he came out for 16 years, so that's a comparable I have for him because what he did this year playing two positions I think is unbelievable. So he's got a great foundation.”

Tyler Smith started at left guard in the regular-season finale and wild-card playoff win against the Buccaneers. He moved back to left tackle for the divisional round game against the San Francisco 49ers after Jason Peters was hurt.

This offseason, several members of the organization said the preference is for Tyler Smith to remain at tackle, including owner and general manager Jerry Jones. Speaking on 105.3 The Fan during the draft, new offensive line coach Mike Solari said Tyler Smith is a tackle.

Before selecting Asim Richards in the fifth round of the draft, Jones was at least wondering if Tyler Smith should be in play at guard.

“I think [position] flex here. When you get down to the reality of it, we need to be ready for it because we’ve got a couple on the mend, and then Tyron, and you’ve got to look at what the history has been here,” Jones said. “So we need numbers. We need the flex. Tyler’s shown he can flex. But we think Steele can flex, and a couple of those young guys can flex in there too.”

Tyron Smith was set to make $13.6 million this season but agreed to rework his contract with a $3 million bonus and a $3 million base salary that was guaranteed. He can earn up to $11 million more in playing-time and playoff incentives. But he has not played a full season since 2015 and has played in just 17 of the 50 regular-season games McCarthy has coached with the Cowboys.

Steele joined the Cowboys in 2020 as an undrafted free agent and has been one of their best finds. He has never played guard and could be tasked with learning a new spot with limited practice time because of his rehab. Edoga has limited starting experience in four NFL seasons with the New York Jets and Atlanta Falcons. Ball played tackle his first two seasons and might be fighting for a roster spot. At the moment, Farniok is also the backup center.

All of those questions bring it back to Tyler Smith. If Tyron Smith is healthy and if Steele’s rehab goes well -- two big 'ifs' by the time the season rolls around -- Tyler Smith could be the best option.

“Evolving is a huge thing in Year 2,” Smith said. “I’ve been blessed to play a lot of games and get an understanding for the game, understanding the speed of the game. Things start to slow down. NFL speed is different than college speed. It’s just the truth. Once you get some years up under you, the game starts to slow down and you start making strides in technique and understanding what the defense is trying to do. I definitely kind of think that Year 2 jump is there.”

A year ago at this time, the Cowboys were calling Tyler Smith a “left-sided player.” Last spring, he split time between guard and tackle. In training camp before Tyron Smith’s injury, he played only left guard.

The 12 months went by quickly.

“It was a blur,” he said. “Just going through that year, finish the season, bowl game, pre-draft prep, to the draft, rookie minicamp, OTAs, camp, the season, all these other things, it really goes by faster. You’re excited while you’re in it. It’s highly competitive days, a long season, but afterwards you look back when you have a minute to process things that happen over time and it feels like, ‘Dang, man, that was fast.’”

Starting in mid-February this year, he was a regular at the captains’ workouts at The Star, although he took a little time off, traveling to the Bahamas, New York and California. He was recognized a few times in the Bahamas.

“They are big Dallas fans in the islands,” he said.

With the Cowboys in Phase 2 of the offseason program, he has been ever-present at the facility.

“One thing about it is, just after seeing where I was after my first year has me excited for what the future holds,” he said. “The work never stops.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I'm not really worried about moving Smith around because we've seen him shift from LG to LT mid-game, in the playoffs no less, and be perfectly fine. In a perfect world I'd keep him at LT and let him grow but I have full confidence that he'll stay sharp at LT even if he's playing LG.

On the other hand, the idea of playing Steele inside is ridiculous and just makes no sense at all, I can't even imagine a scenario where we'd be better off with someone else at RT.

Like, who here would prefer Steele at LG and Waletzko or Ball or who the fuck ever at RT vs. Farniok at LG and Steele at RT?

It's completely insane.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm not sure what to do at G but Steele needs to stay at RT.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
They've been saying this off-season (including Solari) that they want the best 5 guys out there.

I agree that's the way to go.

The best 5 are Tyron/ Tyler/ Biadasz/ Martin/ Steele

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
They've been saying this off-season (including Solari) that they want the best 5 guys out there.

I agree that's the way to go.

The best 5 are Tyron/ Tyler/ Biadasz/ Martin/ Steele
They started Tyler at LG to start the Tampa game despite him playing LT for like 95% of the snaps during the regular season, I'm pretty certain the initial plan is to play him at LG.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All I can say is that I hope they don’t plan on Tryon Smith being healthy beyond the first quarter of the season.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
The way people carry on over O'Cyrus Torrence, you'd think he was the second coming of Larry Allen.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The way people carry on over O'Cyrus Torrence, you'd think he was the second coming of Larry Allen.
He went right about where he was supposed to go. Avila was the most valuable guard in this class.

Genghis Khan

Tyron will likely miss a few games. Roll out Edoga, Richards or Farniok at LG and move Tyler to LT and we'll still be fine.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Tyron will likely miss a few games. Roll out Edoga, Richards or Farniok at LG and move Tyler to LT and we'll still be fine.
If he only misses 4-6 games we'll be fine but what if he misses 12 like last year?

It would be a big issue and I bet they'd make a call to Peters.

Genghis Khan

If he only misses 4-6 games we'll be fine but what if he misses 12 like last year?

It would be a big issue and I bet they'd make a call to Peters.

I still think they'd be ok. The trouble is if there's multiple injuries at the same time, but that's true of most teams. But then I seem to like Farniok more than most.

son of deadrise

DCC 4Life
“I think [position] flex here. When you get down to the reality of it, we need to be ready for it because we’ve got a couple on the mend, and then Tyron, and you’ve got to look at what the history has been here,” Jones said. “So we need numbers. We need the flex. Tyler’s shown he can flex. But we think Steele can flex, and a couple of those young guys can flex in there too.”

Oh my God, Jerry -- shut the fuck up. Flex the fuckin' alcohol-sodden speech center of your brain into another glass of Wild Turkey.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Oh my God, Jerry -- shut the fuck up. Flex the fuckin' alcohol-sodden speech center of your brain into another glass of Wild Turkey.
The term position flex has gotten to the point that it makes me want to throw up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I still think they'd be ok. The trouble is if there's multiple injuries at the same time, but that's true of most teams. But then I seem to like Farniok more than most.
Yeah, you are a mark for him.

The interior depth really concerns me.

Top Bottom