Archer: Was Jones' choice on offense wrong, too?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Was Jones' choice on offense wrong, too?

November, 11, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- After the disastrous 49-17 loss to the New Orleans Saints, Dallas Cowboysowner and general manager Jerry Jones outwardly lamented the decision to fire Rob Ryan and hire Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator.

“We thought that it was best for us to go in that direction and that doesn’t look good right now,” Jones said.

Jones made another decision on the coaching staff in the offseason that doesn’t look good right now either. He forced Jason Garrett to give up the play-calling duties and hand them over to Bill Callahan.

Jones has always name-dropped a Joe Gibbs' conversation in which the Hall of Fame coach said it was best to have a head coach focus on one side of the ball so he had an area of expertise. Jones didn't want a walkaround head coach.

But in the offseason, he dramatically changed course but he has attempted to imply -- as has Garrett -- that this was a group decision; that Garrett was in on this, too. Garrett often talked about how he and Jones had discussions about the play calling when he took over on an interim basis in 2010, as if that provided some cover.

Garrett called every play for the Cowboys from 2007-2012. The Cowboys were pretty good at it, however, not flawless.

The change was made with the idea Garrett would have more control of the entire team and a better grasp on game management.

Yet this decision put Callahan in the worst possible spot, too. Sure, he will be glad to call the plays, but this is not his offense. He is a West Coast guy. Garrett’s offense is not West Coast. Callahan was not even involved in the passing game meetings last year.

Then there’s Tony Romo’s added involvement. How much of what has gone wrong on an offense that looks to have good skill players and at least an adequate offensive line, is on him? It will be a mystery because we’ll never get the truth from those involved in the process.

Some parts of the offense are better. The red-zone offense is much more efficient. Romo’s interceptions are down. And ... And, well that’s really it.

The Cowboys’ third-down offense has not been good all year. Romo is near the bottom of the league in third-down passing. The running game, built more around the zone blocking schemes this year, has been bad and at times non-existent.

At the time of Callahan’s ascension, I was against this move. Not because of Callahan, but because this wasn't his offense and because what this did for Garrett.

This is a crucial year for him after back-to-back 8-8 finishes. The Cowboys are 5-5 with six games to go and looking at another .500 finish. At least theoretically, it might be difficult finding three more wins after what the Cowboys showed at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome Sunday.

If Garrett was going to go down, I thought in the offseason, he sure will want to be the one throwing the punches by calling the plays in his own offense. He looks to be going down, his team wobbling against the ropes after the worst loss they have had in his tenure, and he can’t even muster a counter-attack. He has somebody else fighting for him.

Garrett’s biggest strength is his ability to stay calm when times are rough. He shepherded the Cowboys through an agonizing time last year following the death of Jerry Brown.

But this time he needs actions more than words.

It’s not too late. Garrett can take over the play calling whenever he wants. If the decision to give it up was his back in the offseason, then he can decide to take it over again, right?

If he does, then it would be proof Jones was wrong on both coaching moves made heading into 2013.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
His choice on head coach was wrong too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
If Garrett's going down, he should take back the playcalling duties and go down swinging, because yeah, this is definitely the worst year we've seen from this offense in terms of inability to find open players.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If Garrett's going down, he should take back the playcalling duties and go down swinging, because yeah, this is definitely the worst year we've seen from this offense in terms of inability to find open players.
It's still his shitty system that they're running, so it's not like him calling plays is going to matter.

But, your logic makes sense. If he's going down, and I think he will if we don't make the playoffs, then he might as well have full control over whatever he can from here on out.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's still his shitty system that they're running, so it's not like him calling plays is going to matter.
I don't agree. Playcalling and the "play database" you have to select from are two different things. Picking different plays, reining in Romo's ability to audible, etc, could make a difference.

You may be of the opinion that we weren't any better when Garrett WAS calling the plays, that might be true, but in theory different play selection can make a difference.

But, your logic makes sense. If he's going down, and I think he will if we don't make the playoffs, then he might as well have full control over whatever he can from here on out.
All I know is that once upon a time he was actually good at putting Terrell Owens in motion and freeing him up.

Not sure what happened that he "forgot" it. Something else must be the cause. Maybe he hasn't had faith in Bryant to remember the more complex intricacies of a motion offense.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I don't agree. Playcalling and the "play database" you have to select from are two different things. Picking different plays, reining in Romo's ability to audible, etc, could make a difference.

You may be of the opinion that we weren't any better when Garrett WAS calling the plays, that might be true, but in theory different play selection can make a difference.

All I know is that once upon a time he was actually good at putting Terrell Owens in motion and freeing him up.

Not sure what happened that he "forgot" it. Something else must be the cause. Maybe he hasn't had faith in Bryant to remember the more complex intricacies of a motion offense.
I think you're forgetting that his best statistical season was with Sparano on his staff.

Now, I can't say exactly much influence Sparano had on the offense as a whole, but his presence cannot be dismissed either.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

This.

Garretts system has been in the shitter for 3 years. There is no excuse for not having 2 dynamic WR's tearing up the stats when you have guys like Williams and Bryant lined up on the field.

These angled short routes these WRs run suck ass. Its not what they do best.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
This.

Garretts system has been in the shitter for 3 years. There is no excuse for not having 2 dynamic WR's tearing up the stats when you have guys like Williams and Bryant lined up on the field.

These angled short routes these WRs run suck ass. Its not what they do best.
You'd be hard pressed to find a coaching staff doing less with more in the NFL than Garrett and Callahan. They simply don't put their players in a position to succeed.

They have talent at the skill positions, but their game plans consistently fail to take advantage of opponent's weaknesses, and they regularly fail to make the simple adjustments needed in-game to succeed.

Hard to win consistently in the NFL when you are out coached every single week.

Top Bottom