Archer: Tony Romo playing at high level, must continue

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Tony Romo playing at high level, must continue
November, 20, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With the focus each week on the status of Tony Romo's back, just how well the Dallas Cowboys quarterback has played in nine games has been somewhat lost in translation.

Romo's 107.2 passer rating is second in the league. He is second in completion percentage (68.8 percent). He is tied for ninth in touchdowns. His 8.34 yards per gain is third best. After throwing three interceptions in his first 14 passes of the season, he has thrown three in his last 255 attempts.

"He's responded well with the adversity with his back," coach Jason Garrett said. "We talk about being your best regardless of circumstances, whatever circumstance he's been in, somehow he's found a way to fight through it. He's led our team well. I think he functions really well in this scheme. Any of the evolutional part in our offense, has been positive. He's embraced that. Obviously, we're better offensive unit around him. We're better on the offensive line. We're running the ball better. All of those things are good. But he's had a huge part in orchestrating all of that."

Romo was not into making a state of the union address Wednesday when asked for his thoughts on how he has played this season.

"I don't think the year's over so to get into an analysis of what you're doing right now is just premature and too early," Romo said. "As far as me, I'm just trying to continue to get better and play at a high level week in and week out, give our football team chances to continue to win these games. I said in training camp what I thought I was going to be able to do over the course of my career. You've just got to go out and do it."

The Cowboys will need Romo to continue to play as well in the final six games if they want to make the playoffs for the first time since 2009. Despite the 8-8 finishes the last three years, Romo's late-season numbers have been impressive.

In the final six games he has played since 2011, Romo has 38 touchdown passes and 14 interceptions.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It was concerning last year; he wasn't terrible but he wasn't the same. He sure looked like he might be hitting a permanent decline.

But he's been fantastic this year. Hopefully the back holds up.

data

Forbes #1
But he's been fantastic this year. Hopefully the back holds up.
To clarify 'fantastic', I don't think he's been 'fantastic', defined as carrying the team on his back 100%, relying on him throwing for 300+ yards with impeccable accuracy and 3:0 TD:int ratio as we have in the past.

The emergence of the run game, however, has enabled him to be a more conservative as a game manager. However, if asked to throw 40 passes/game without mistake, romo isn't what he used to be.

townsend

Banned
Legitimately this team could win with a decent backup out there too. I feel like we'd have won easily against Arizona with Kyle Orton under center. I don't think Romo's quite as good as he was in days past. I think it's just easier to look good right now with a good O line, good receivers, good tight ends, and a great RB.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
To clarify 'fantastic', I don't think he's been 'fantastic', defined as carrying the team on his back 100%, relying on him throwing for 300+ yards with impeccable accuracy and 3:0 TD:int ratio as we have in the past.

The emergence of the run game, however, has enabled him to be a more conservative as a game manager. However, if asked to throw 40 passes/game without mistake, romo isn't what he used to be.

Hyperbole!

Seriously though, I guess I mean in the context of what he's been asked to do. I don't think I would say he's been a game manager either, like a Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer. More like how Aikman used to be.

To be honest, after last year, I was worried about a Jake Delhomme type of decline.

data

Forbes #1
Hyperbole!

Seriously though, I guess I mean in the context of what he's been asked to do. I don't think I would say he's been a game manager either, like a Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer. More like how Aikman used to be.

To be honest, after last year, I was worried about a Jake Delhomme type of decline.
Agreed, after a horrific San Fran opening game which had us all shitting bricks, he's improved and done what can be more-than-reasonably expected to put up Ws for a solid QB.

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Horse shit. He's playing just like he always has. What fucking qb can do it all with no run game and no line? None is the correct answer. Ifyou really believe he's a 'game manager' then you have to redefine what Troy Aikman was to this team. The only differences now are that he has some pieces in place and an OC that is working within his limitations, you know, like not being able to throw 40 fucking times a game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom