Archer: Sean Lee for MVP? He doesn't care

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sean Lee for MVP? He doesn't care
November, 1, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Sean Lee was named the NFC’s Defensive Player of the Month for October. In various lists he has been mentioned as a midseason Defensive Player of the Year. ESPN’s Louis Riddick, a former NFL director of player personnel turned ESPN analyst, wondered if Lee should be in the mix for Most Valuable Player.

Lee, the Dallas Cowboys' middle linebacker, was typically nonplussed by all the kind words thrown his way.

4“I feel like I’ve got a lot of room to improve,” Lee said. “There’s been a lot of plays I left on the field. Defensively we’re going to have to play better to help our team win if any of us want to be considered in this category.”

Lee has been credited with 99 tackles by the coaches. He has four tackles for loss, three quarterback pressures, six pass breakups and a fumble recovery. He is tied with six other players for the most interceptions in the league with four, and only one of two linebackers on the list.

With three more interceptions he would break the team’s single-season mark by a linebacker. Lee Roy Jordan had six in 1973 and ’75. Chuck Howley had six in 1968. His four picks so far equal a career high.

But Lee knows they don’t give out trophies at the midway point of a season.

“And there’s only one trophy we care about in this locker room and that’s the Super Bowl trophy, obviously,” Lee said. “That’s going to take a lot of work. Right now we’re not even thinking about that. We’re thinking game to game and trying to get on top of our division and continue to work.”

Top Bottom