Archer: Mel Kiper mocks a corner to Cowboys

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Mel Kiper mocks a corner to Cowboys

Todd Archer, ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

IRVING, Texas -- ESPN Insider Mel Kiper has offered up his fourth mock draftand he continues to give the Dallas Cowboys a defensive player.

Connecticut cornerback Byron Jones is his pick after he gave them Wake Forest cornerback Kevin Johnson last month. Oklahoma defensive tackle Jordan Phillips and Iowa defensive tackle Carl Davis were his picks in his first two mocks.

Among the known visitors to the Cowboys, there is not a pure defensive tackle on the list. Johnson just concluded his visit and the Cowboys are expected to have Jones at Valley Ranch next week as he works through a number of teams.

Jones wowed everybody with his athleticism at the combine with a record-breaking broad jump. At his pro day, he timed at 4.3 seconds in the 40. Jones had two interceptions last year and I wrote about him in our draft breakdown series. He is an athletic marvel but he can also play football.

And there is another aspect to his game that makes him a good bet for the Cowboys: He can play safety. He played there for former Cowboys assistant coach Paul Pasqualoni at UConn. He is a cornerback first, but the position flexibility certainly helps. In 2010, the New England Patriots drafted Devin McCourty as a cornerback with the No. 27 overall pick. Needing some safety help, they moved him there and he has been a top player.

If it matters, if I had to make a pick for the Cowboys right now for a mock draft, I’d go with Jones as well.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
From bad to worse, Johnson to Jones.

There are CBs available, good ones, well into the fourth.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
We do need 3 so first two picks?

Top Bottom