Archer: For Ty Montgomery, Cowboys visit is all business

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
For Ty Montgomery, Cowboys visit is all business

Todd Archer, ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

IRVING, Texas -- Ty Montgomery doesn’t want to make too much of his visit to the Dallas Cowboys and Valley Ranch Friday.

Before starring at Stanford as a wide receiver, Montgomery played at St. Mark’s in Dallas. He will be among a large group of local players to work out for the Cowboys. Surely most of them grew up Cowboys fans and have dreamed of wearing the star on the side of their helmet.

Montgomery has never been to Valley Ranch, but the image of what it represents is not lost on him. It has been the Cowboys' home for more than four decades. It’s where stars of his youth practiced and was viewed as sacred ground.

“Growing up a Cowboys fan, it’ll be cool,” Montgomery said Thursday while waiting on his flight to Dallas, “but once the workout starts, it’ll just be another day at the office. Just have to work.”

It just so happens the Cowboys have a need for a player like Montgomery. Having lost Dwayne Harris in free agency to the New York Giants, the Cowboys need a sturdy receiver who can play inside and outside in addition to returning kicks and punts.

As a junior he caught 61 passes for 958 yards and 10 touchdowns. As a senior he still caught 61 passes, but for only 604 yards and three touchdowns. He had three kick returns for a touchdown in his career.

“The only thing I want to show any team I work out for is how I am being myself,” Montgomery said. “I think myself sells myself. I’m not trying to be anything else. I feel explosive, versatile, smart, athletic. I’m just going to try to use those tools and be myself.”

While he wants to be himself, he said he takes pieces of the games of Dez Bryant, Anquan Boldin and Percy Harvin and implements them in his game.

“Without a doubt, anything you do there’s always something to try to find and compare yourself to,” Montgomery said. “You’ve got to have something that sets the standard or bar to try to reach.”

As he has gone through the draft process, he has continued to attend class. He will graduate in June with a degree in political science. A lot of players drop out of school to focus on the draft. He said he can compartmentalize his life so that when he is in the classroom he can focus on the classroom and when he is training he can focus on training.

“I know how to focus and finish,” he said. “I know how to find a way.”

It’s a quality he can bring to football as well. He hopes it takes him to the Cowboys, but he will gladly accept a spot anywhere.

Montgomery attended a number of Cowboys games growing up. The most famous was the game in which Emmitt Smith broke Walter Payton’s all-time rushing record against the Seattle Seahawks in 2002.

“I think it would be unbelievable,” Montgomery said. “It would be awesome to wear the star. It’s something I grew up watching and hoping I could. But wherever I’ll end up I’ll be happy and blessed to have the opportunity to play.”

Top Bottom