Archer: Even in Year 2, Scott Linehan goes back to basics

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Even in Year 2, Scott Linehan goes back to basics

Todd Archer, ESPN Dallas Cowboys reporter

IRVING, Texas -- A year ago Scott Linehan was just putting names to faces when it came to the Dallas Cowboys' offense.

This year Linehan knows not only the names and faces, but what they can do.

"That for me makes things probably accelerate a little bit," Linehan said. "I think you can get a little bit too dialed into, 'Let’s do this,' and 'Let’s do this.'"

In coordinator Scott Linehan's first season in Dallas, the Cowboys scored 30 or more points 10 times. Matthew Emmons/USA TODAY Sports

So the process starts over from the beginning with the most basic of fundamentals as the Cowboys start the second week if on-field teaching activities that lead into Phase 3 of the offseason program, which includes organized team activities and the minicamp.

"Bottom line is there’s certain things we feel very adamant about is going to be important and it’s no different really, same message that we had when we kind of started with ground zero last year," Linehan said. "I think if we do that and we go back to the basics and do those things well again, it will be benefit us as we move forward."

The Cowboys had one of their best seasons offensively in 2014, scoring 30 or more points in 10 of 16 regular-season games. Seven of the team’s eight Pro Bowlers came from that side of the ball. Tony Romo had the best touchdown-to-interception ratio of his career and led the NFL in completion percentage, QBR and passer rating. Dez Bryant set a team record with 16 touchdowns on 88 receptions for 1,320 yards.

Of the regulars, the Cowboys could have two position changes in 2015 if rookie La'el Collins wins a starting job on the offensive line -- most likely at left guard and running back.

Replacing DeMarco Murray's 1,845 rushing yards will be difficult. He was the offensive identity last season with a franchise-record 392 yards, but the Cowboys chose not to pay him as much as the Philadelphia Eagles would pay him. They added Darren McFadden in free agency, but did not add a runner in the draft.

As it stands now, the Cowboys are prepared to go with a committee of McFadden, Joseph Randle, Lance Dunbar and/or Ryan Williams.

"I think that we continue to look at who we are and what our personnel is and put our mindset into that," Linehan said. "I don’t think it’s going to change our approach or plays we run. Who runs them is going to be different, but hopefully the result is similar. That’s going to be our approach and that’s not going to change regardless of the running back we had last year not here anymore or not. We’re going to keep it there."

Top Bottom