Archer: Eagles Request To Interview Kellen Moore

roughneck266

DCC 4Life
At least one (if not both) of those QB's is going to want out of there. No way it doesn't cause issues.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Um I care because he is a good offensive coordinator
Meh, maybe, I'm thinking of it more from an Eagles perspective. Nobody here would be happy with him as our HC so if the Eagles hire him it's whatever.

I'd rather not replace Moore at this point since we're a little late in the game, all things being equal, but I think we'd be ok if we had to.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
For him personally, it would be good for Moore to interview and get familiar with the process.

Bake in your offense with Dallas for the next few years and be prepared to take your pick of HC vacancies in 3 years or so. He's still baby young as far as NFL head coaching candidates are concerned.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think it would be very possible that he'd accept the interview just to get his feet wet and get a feel for the process. And still turn them down if offered. All he'd have to say is it didn't feel like the right fit. Easy in, easy out.

If I was a young coach, I wouldn't accept that job as is right now. The locker room is a complete mess. Their cap is shot. And their QB situation is iffy at best. He'd be destined to fail there. Why put that black mark on your coaching resume when you are just starting out?
Exactly. He would be inviting career suicide by going there with that organization in the shape that it is in.

Cotton

Staff member
Houston might want a word with you, esp if Watson is exiled. Whoever gets the Philly job won't be expected to do anything next year, and I doubt their cap problems are a five-year thing that they can't overcome.
Thing is, the new coach isn't going to be given but a couple of years to show improvement. They aren't getting back in shape in a couple of years. It's going to take a while. My guess is they will go through at least one more coach before they are even sniffing winning again.

Cotton

Staff member
No one gives a coach 5 years. If you're strapped with Wentz for the next two and no cap room you'll be gone before you get a chance to build anything for yourself.
Yes, this.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Thing is, the new coach isn't going to be given but a couple of years to show improvement. They aren't getting back in shape in a couple of years. It's going to take a while. My guess is they will go through at least one more coach before they are even sniffing winning again.
God I hope that's true but I think it could go either way. If Wentz gets better coaching and starts to live up to his potential, and they nail a draft or two, they could be good again pretty soon. Or hell, even without Wentz this is a pretty good QB class and they have a high pick so if they get the right QB this draft they can turn it around fairly quickly.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
No one gives a coach 5 years. If you're strapped with Wentz for the next two and no cap room you'll be gone before you get a chance to build anything for yourself.
But they do give five-year guaranteed contracts. Take the job and take care of your family for life, even if you get canned.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think they are shooting for that Sean Mcvay magic but I don’t think he has even done close enough to warrant that move.
The part a lot of these GMs and owners are overlooking when it comes to young coaches like McVay is most had several years of coaching experience under their belts. McVay was an assistant coach for 9 years before he landed a HC job. It took him 6 years as an assistant before he landed an OC position. He didn't take shortcuts like Kellen Moore and Jason Garrett.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
God I hope that's true but I think it could go either way. If Wentz gets better coaching and starts to live up to his potential, and they nail a draft or two, they could be good again pretty soon. Or hell, even without Wentz this is a pretty good QB class and they have a high pick so if they get the right QB this draft they can turn it around fairly quickly.
Any coach who takes the Eagles job in my opinion has to think they can fix Wentz. In fairness he hasn't always been this bad. But the team is strapped to him at this point. And I don't think they will be taking any QBs in the draft because of the Wentz situation and having taken a QB in the second round last year in Hurts. Any new coach is basically going to be stuck with an aging roster and cuts that have to be made just to get under the cap. So basically their only hope is that a coach can come in and fix Wentz and that Wentz is basically able to carry a very average roster to some success. On the positive side I don't think the NFC East is going to be very good so there is some potential to win games and have a decent record even with a mediocre team. Then still get crushed in the playoffs.

The funny thing with Wentz is that he is also kind of injury prone. So even if you can fix him you still have problems.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

Any coach who takes the Eagles job in my opinion has to think they can fix Wentz. In fairness he hasn't always been this bad. But the team is strapped to him at this point. And I don't think they will be taking any QBs in the draft because of the Wentz situation and having taken a QB in the second round last year in Hurts. Any knew coach is basically going to be stuck with an aging roster and cuts that have to be made just to get under the cap. So basically their only hope is that a coach can come in and fix Wentz and that Wentz is basically able to carry a very average roster to some success. On the positive side I don't think the NFC East is going to be very good so there is some potential to win games and have a decent record even with a mediocre team. Then still get crushed in the playoffs.

The funny thing with Wentz is that he is also kind of injury prone. So even if you can fix him you still have problems.
I think one thing that could go a long way for Wentz is getting a solid consistent running game, sort of like we did for Romo. Dial everything back and take some of the pressure off of him.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I don't think Wentz can be fixed. Not in that town, anyway. The problem is in his head.

Maybe if he went to a different, lower-stress kind of place he could rehab in a year or two. Maybe.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think one thing that could go a long way for Wentz is getting a solid consistent running game, sort of like we did for Romo. Dial everything back and take some of the pressure off of him.
Yeah they need to rebuild the O-line to it's former dominance while implementing a run based system that uses play action and simple reads. I'm of the opinion that the only way Wentz gets there is with a fresh start like Tannehill got. I think he is shot in Philly. He panics under pressure and holds the ball to long when required to really read a defense. You basically have to scale everything back and build his confidence back from the ground up. I just don't see that as possible in Philly.

Genghis Khan

Yeah they need to rebuild the O-line to it's former dominance while implementing a run based system that uses play action and simple reads. I'm of the opinion that the only way Wentz gets there is with a fresh start like Tannehill got. I think he is shot in Philly. He panics under pressure and holds the ball to long when required to really read a defense. You basically have to scale everything back and build his confidence back from the ground up. I just don't see that as possible in Philly.

I feel like the only way he can get a fresh start in Philly is if they bring in a completely different coaching staff (i.e. not Duce Staley) and trade away Hurts.

Truthfully though, even though in the past he's looked better than he did in 2020, I've always been skeptical of Wentz and I'm not sure there's anything anyone can do to help him. Even when he was putting up better stats he always looked jittery and uncomfortable to me. And he's always struggled mightily in crunch time.

He clearly has arm talent but we've seen over and over in history that only gets you so far.

Top Bottom