Archer: Dallas Cowboys show will, fight, determination

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dallas Cowboys show will, fight, determination

December, 15, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Observed and heard in the locker room after the Dallas Cowboys' 38-27 win against the Philadelphia Eagles at Lincoln Financial Field on Sunday.

Cowboys follow their mantra: Jason Garrett has given his players T-shirts with the word "Fight" on them. Sunday was a fight. After losing a 21-0 lead, the Cowboys showed some fight to put the game away with back-to-back touchdown drives and critical defensive stops.

"The people who are most successful in life and the teams that are the most successful have a lot of [fight, will and determination]," Garrett said. "I think we demonstrated that tonight. Obviously got off to a really good start. They're a good football team. We knew they were going to battle back. We knew it was going to be 60 minutes. I thought we made real critical plays in all three areas to help us win this game. Obviously the overriding factor was out will and our fight and our determination to get it done."

Bring it home: The Cowboys are 7-0 on the road for the third time in franchise history. If they are going to cement a spot in the playoffs, they will have to win next week against the Indianapolis Colts at AT&T Stadium. The Cowboys are 3-4 at home this season and need to win to avoid their second sub-.500 home record since the stadium's opening in 2009.

If the Cowboys win their last two games, they are guaranteed a playoff spot and could have home-field advantage depending on how other teams finish.

"I can't even fathom a Cowboy team that is not ready and inspired to go back to pour stadium for the last game of the year, regular-season game," owner and general manager Jerry Jones said, "and not be prepared and understand what's at stake and have that place full of Cowboys fans out there. There's no question in my mind that we'll be a team with a fine edge when we play Indianapolis."

Injury update: DeMarco Murray had X-rays taken on his hand after the game but it was not bandaged or covered in ice as he walked to the team bus after the game. Murray was hurt late in the game and Lance Dunbar got the Cowboys' last rush of the game.

"I'm good," Murray said.

Right tackle Doug Free missed the second half with an ankle injury and was replaced in the starting lineup by Jermey Parnell. The Cowboys believe Free will be OK but it was disconcerting that he was unable to continue to play. Rookie right guard Zack Martin had X-rays on his right ankle and believed he would be OK. He thought it was a positive that he was able to finish the game.

Top Bottom