Archer: Dallas Cowboys 'pumped up' as training camp begins with 'Hard Knocks'

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think so, a cool 30 years ago.
And only then because they missed out on Raghib Ismael who skipped to Canada AND because Jimmy was Maryland's college coach and because there weren't many other clear choices in the top 5-7.

I thought Eric Swann would be better but riskier and I think that was proven correct, but no way Jimmy was going to pass over his boy.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think so, a cool 30 years ago.
I remember being enraged at that pick at the time. Not that I wanted Rocket Ismail, but I thought it was a reach in general terms...probably because I formed my opinions off of Buchsbaum and Kiper and their phone pay sites.

Maryland had a decent career. But it is amazing how many of the first rounders in his draft were just nondescript, so you can't really say he was overdrafted in comparison.

Not a great class honestly.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I remember being enraged at that pick at the time. Not that I wanted Rocket Ismail, but I thought it was a reach in general terms...probably because I formed my opinions off of Buchsbaum and Kiper and their phone pay sites.

Maryland had a decent career. But it is amazing how many of the first rounders in his draft were just nondescript, so you can't really say he was overdrafted in comparison.

Maryland was a clear reach by at least 5-7 spots. But the top of that draft wasn't great anyways.

Thank God he picked Leon Lett in the 7th round :)

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

Wow that's a shitty first round.

What a draft to have multiple firsts.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Parsons is so young and wide-eyed. Wonderful enthusiasm.

So much has been said of Dak's leadership. I'm looking forward to seeing some of it on camera.

I was a little surprised to see as much joking around and laughing. I expected more sustained intensity and seriousness. I'm not criticizing anything - I see benefits - but people were having more fun than I expected. I'd guess was less fun under Landry and Parcells, but then that was a different time.
Dak was serious and locked in during practice. Overall I think guys were playing up to the camera and quite a bit of the content appeared staged to me. Like when Zeke was wrapping the present and Dak "conveniently" shows up at his hotel door to ruin the surprise.

And that's mainly why I'm not a fan of the Cowboys being on HK. It's hard enough to keep the main thing, the main thing with Jerry Jones running the show.....add in all the extra cameras and it's just one more unnecessary distraction.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dak was serious and locked in during practice. Overall I think guys were playing up to the camera and quite a bit of the content appeared staged to me. Like when Zeke was wrapping the present and Dak "conveniently" shows up at his hotel door to ruin the surprise.

And that's mainly why I'm not a fan of the Cowboys being on HK. It's hard enough to keep the main thing, the main thing with Jerry Jones running the show.....add in all the extra cameras and it's just one more unnecessary distraction.
Well Jerry Jones caused a spike in sales of both McGriddles and Morton Salt. So there you go.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Well Jerry Jones caused a spike in sales of both McGriddles and Morton Salt. So there you go.
When he was adding salt to his sandwich I was like, "That's right, you old SOB, run that blood pressure up so we can get you out of the picture sooner rather than later."

Does that make me a bad person? :unsure

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
When he was adding salt to his sandwich I was like, "That's right, you old SOB, run that blood pressure up so we can get you out of the picture sooner rather than later."

Does that make me a bad person? :unsure
No. But it makes you a fool.

That SOB does every fucking unhealthy thing there is and he shows no signs of dying.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
‘Hard Knocks’ on the Dallas Cowboys: Biggest takeaways from the second episode

OXNARD, CA - AUGUST 03: Wide receiver CeeDee Lamb #88 of the Dallas Cowboys gives a thumbs up after catching a pass during practice at River Ridge Complex on August 3, 2021 in Oxnard, California. (Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea/Getty Images)

By Jon Machota Aug 17, 2021

The second episode of this season’s installment of “Hard Knocks” featuring the Dallas Cowboys aired Tuesday night. Most of it was recorded during the end of training camp in Oxnard, Calif., including the practice with the Los Angeles Rams and then last Friday night’s preseason game at Arizona.

The hour-long show touched on several of the star players but also tied in features on defensive line coach Aden Durde and second-year edge rusher Azur Kamara.

I didn’t feel it was as entertaining as the first episode, but there were still moments that stood out. Here are my five biggest takeaways from the second of five episodes in the NFL Films and HBO series.

1. Mike McCarthy speech

It’s usually interesting to see what the coaches say behind the scenes. The episode began with the Cowboys head coach addressing the entire team before playing the Cardinals in their second preseason game. Since being hired last year, McCarthy has often spoken publicly about the importance of play style. It was a key part of his speech on this occasion.

“I want you guys to get on the edge tonight,” he said. “We got to get on the edge. The personality of our football team has to take a step tonight. Forty percent of you guys are new from last year. We played this team last year. Make sure you put it on their ass tonight. All I care about tonight is the physicality of the football game. … Let’s put the wood on these guys.

“We’re a popular team. We’re not in this for fucking being popular. We talk about a winning culture. The real winning comes with the play style. This wasn’t our best week of practice, so let’s learn from it. I want you fucking geared-in tonight. Let’s turn this shit up. I’m talking about everybody. So you fucking bring it to these guys.”

2. Zeke becoming the star of the show

The entire show could be based on just following around Ezekiel Elliott. It’s a safe bet that he has standout moments in every episode. This unique one involved him realizing he needed some baby powder to get through practice. This highlight clip pretty much breaks it all down.

3. Standout CeeDee Lamb
There’s no question that Lamb has been the star of training camp. Even when he thinks a practice isn’t up to his standards, it still usually includes at least one jaw-dropping play. This episode focused on some of those highlight plays with the second-year wide receiver sharing his thoughts while packing his bags to leave the southern California portion of camp.

“It’s nice to go on social media and you see yourself or your work,” Lamb said. “It’s nice. But I’m really not satisfied. I want a lot more.”
There was also a brief moment captured of Cowboys owner Jerry Jones having a video conversation with Hall of Fame Cowboys wide receiver Michael Irvin about Lamb. Both were going on about how impressive Lamb has been and the enormous potential he has this season.

“Eighty-eight is a real legacy here,” Lamb said, after mentioning previous No. 88s, Irvin, Drew Pearson and Dez Bryant. “There’s a lot of pressure in that jersey number and I want to exceed all expectations.”

4. Connor Williams moment

The scuffle that the Cowboys left guard got into with Rams superstar defensive tackle Aaron Donald was the highlight of the practice with the Rams. McCarthy said he didn’t want players fighting because that type of behavior will get flagged during a game. But it’s pretty clear that nobody on the Cowboys sideline minded seeing Williams mixing it up with the NFL’s three-time Defensive Player of the Year.

Dak Prescott didn’t practice that day, but he enjoyed what he saw from one of the team’s starting offensive linemen.

“Connor, good fucking shit,” Prescott yelled to Williams after the series. “Stay on his fucking ass. Keep fucking rocking now.”

5. Dak on a pitch count

Of course, there was a portion dedicated to Prescott working his way back from a strained throwing shoulder. He resumed throwing in the final two practices in California. He then threw before the preseason game against the Cardinals.

“I enjoyed the work, men,” Prescott joked during one practice as he finished his 20 to 30 throws for the day. “They pulled me. I’m on a pitch count. They called in the reliever. … The kid’s getting back now.”

Prescott was also a topic of conversation between McCarthy and Cardinals coach Kliff Kingsbury on the field before the game in Arizona.
Kingsbury: “How’s your guy doing? Four.”

McCarthy: “Good. Just got to kind of wind him back up with the throwing regimen. But he’ll be fine.”

Kingsbury: “He’s such a stud human.”

McCarthy: “He’s all-go all the time. You got to slow him down a little bit. He’s a great guy.”

Foobio

DCC 4Life
Where is Leon Lett?

He's listed as a DL coach and yet only Durde has appeared so far.

Unless I've missed him.

Edit: I think I saw him on the practice field...he must not want to be on camera?:shrug

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Where is Leon Lett?

He's listed as a DL coach and yet only Durde has appeared so far.

Unless I've missed him.

Edit: I think I saw him on the practice field...he must not want to be on camera?:shrug
Durde gives the show a Ted Lasso vibe.

Top Bottom