Archer: Cowboys sign Tyler Clutts, release Jed Collins

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys sign Tyler Clutts, release Jed Collins

38m

Todd Archer, ESPN Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys welcomed back fullback Tyler Clutts with a one-year deal on Monday and cut Jed Collins, who was signed in March to be Clutts’ replacement.

Clutts joined the Cowboys late in 2013 and played in every game last season, helping DeMarco Murray to an NFL-high 1,845 yards. He caught two passes on the season, including the first touchdown of his career on a 1-yarder in the divisional round loss to the Green Bay Packers.

Clutts, 31, has also played for the Chicago Bears, Houston Texans and Miami Dolphins. He is a reliable blocker and special teams player.

Collins joined the Cowboys as a free agent in March after a one-year run with the Detroit Lions. He had his best seasons with the New Orleans Saints from 2011-13.

He received a $65,000 signing bonus with the Cowboys as part of a minimum-salary benefit deal that would have counted $650,000 against the salary cap.
------------------

So, uh, yeah. Nice free agent signing there with Collins. Didn't even make it to camp.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So, uh, yeah. Nice free agent signing there with Collins. Didn't even make it to camp.
When you can try to improve and not actually get worse or impede someone else's development, chalk it up as a win.

Welcome back, Tyler.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Collins also has an effect on our comp picks, which was explained in that article posted the other day. Signing/cutting him doesn't hurt us a bit.

I doubt Clutts makes it to the 53, either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Collins also has an effect on our comp picks, which was explained in that article posted the other day. Signing/cutting him doesn't hurt us a bit.

I doubt Clutts makes it to the 53, either.
I get that, but why even bother. It is not like we had a chance to evaluate what he could do before going back to the other guy.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I get that, but why even bother. It is not like we had a chance to evaluate what he could do before going back to the other guy.
Because things change. He was signed before the draft, before we new what we would end up with after the draft. Before the selection of Swaim, who I believe will fill the FB/HB role, and we won't carry a true FB. Last year, we used the FB on less than 15% of running plays. I doubt we used a future pick to get back into the 7th just for the hell of it. Maybe we didn't know we could sign Clutts back. Maybe he wanted to see what was out there in FA. Who knows? All I know is this doesn't effect our cap any, and I don't see any problem in them having a contingency plan in place if things worked out differently.

And no, before anybody thinks I'm propping Swaim, I'm not. Only that the team must think he's better than what we would have had at FB/HB. That coupled with the fact Collins is handcuffed to a 6th round comp pick made it a no brainer.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Because things change. He was signed before the draft, before we new what we would end up with after the draft. Before the selection of Swaim, who I believe will fill the FB/HB role, and we won't carry a true FB. Last year, we used the FB on less than 15% of running plays. I doubt we used a future pick to get back into the 7th just for the hell of it. Maybe we didn't know we could sign Clutts back. Maybe he wanted to see what was out there in FA. Who knows? All I know is this doesn't effect our cap any, and I don't see any problem in them having a contingency plan in place if things worked out differently.

And no, before anybody thinks I'm propping Swaim, I'm not. Only that the team must think he's better than what we would have had at FB/HB. That coupled with the fact Collins is handcuffed to a 6th round comp pick made it a no brainer.
It's all just smoke and mirrors, special affects and such...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who cares, the coaches changed their minds or maybe Clutts did. It really has no negative impact on the Cowboys so I don't care.

hstour

Brand New Member
If the other guy was not better or worse, then bring back the guy who knows the offense. That way when plays are run, he is more likely to run them correctly and you get a better evaluation of the other players being in/out of position.

Top Bottom