Archer: Cowboys' pass rush comes through against Eagles

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' pass rush comes through against Eagles
December, 15, 2014

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' pass rush will never be confused with the best in the NFL, but in Sunday’s 38-27 win against the Philadelphia Eagles it was effective when it was needed most.

The Cowboys sacked Mark Sanchez four times for 33 yards, including back-to-back sacks by Tyrone Crawford and Jeremy Mincey late in the fourth quarter after the Cowboys took an 11-point lead.

Crawford had the first two-sack game of his career. Mincey had his first multi-sack game since the 2012 season finale against the Indianapolis Colts when he played for the Jacksonville Jaguars.

“It’s just staying after them,” coach Jason Garrett said of the pass rush. “These guys challenge you so many different ways because there’s so much play-action. There’s so much movement in the pocket. So it’s hard for those guys because they have run responsibilities. They’re setting edges. It’s hard for them to just tee off and know the quarterback is going to be there. Towards the end of the ballgame when it was a two-score game and we felt like he was going to be in the pocket those guys did a good job of rushing and they stayed after him and stayed after him.”

Without a dominant pass-rusher like DeMarcus Ware, the Cowboys have attempted to use a rotation to keep pass-rushers fresh during the game. The Cowboys have just 23 sacks and are on pace for just 26. Since going to a 16-game schedule in 1978, the fewest sacks the Cowboys have had in a season is 23 in 1991.

The Cowboys had just 34 sacks last season.

“A lot of the coverage relies on the rush and a lot of the rush relies on the coverage, so whoever gets there first and how the coverage is plays a part. It was great [Sunday] because we came up with more sacks than we usually do. I’m not going to lie, they were coverage sacks, but it felt good.”

The Cowboys have had four sacks in three games and had a season-high five against the Washington Redskins. They have had seven games with one or zero sacks.

Sunday that wasn’t an issue and they weren’t about to haggle about some of them being coverage sacks.

“A sack is a sack,” Crawford said.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ah jeez, it was Sanchez as much as anything else.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life

Biggest factors IMO:

- Early momentum after that kickoff turnover.
- Huge TOP advantage leaving the defense fresh late
- Not having to respect the run late in the 4th.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Biggest factors IMO:

- Early momentum after that kickoff turnover.
- Huge TOP advantage leaving the defense fresh late
- Not having to respect the run late in the 4th.
Other big factor:

Sanchez sucks unless he can be put specifically into designed roll outs predicated by play action.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Other big factor:

Sanchez sucks unless he can be put specifically into designed roll outs predicated by play action.
All of his limitations were exposed at one time or another yesterday.

I do think though the Cowboys DL being active had a lot to do with it. He missed some really easy throws in the second half and I think he was feeling the rush, such as it was.

No one's going to confuse our DL with the Bills, but they play hard when they are rested.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All of his limitations were exposed at one time or another yesterday.

I do think though the Cowboys DL being active had a lot to do with it. He missed some really easy throws in the second half and I think he was feeling the rush, such as it was.

No one's going to confuse our DL with the Bills, but they play hard when they are rested.
Don't kid yourself.

This is the same anemic pass rush we have seen all year. A little activity is just that. A small blip on the screen.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Don't kid yourself.

This is the same anemic pass rush we have seen all year. A little activity is just that. A small blip on the screen.
I agree.

I think they had a huge advantage in TOP that put them over the top this week, that's all.

We are terrible at DE. DeMarcus Lawrence and Anthony Spencer are complete non-factors. If it wasn't for Mincy playing half-way decent this would be the worst edge-rushing I've seen since maybe 1989.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I agree.

I think they had a huge advantage in TOP that put them over the top this week, that's all.

We are terrible at DE. DeMarcus Lawrence and Anthony Spencer are complete non-factors. If it wasn't for Mincy playing half-way decent this would be the worst edge-rushing I've seen since maybe 1989.
I have to admit, I am getting a little concerned about Lawrence.

I get that he was hurt and had a set back. But I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a flash here or there.

Not giving up on him, but it would be nice to see a little something encouraging.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Crawford and Mincey were both impressive.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
No kidding. He's terrible. How many times did he feel some pressure and just stumble backwards over his own feet?

And I'm with you on Lawrence. He doesn't show up at all. I'm afraid he just doesn't have much.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
No kidding. He's terrible. How many times did he feel some pressure and just stumble backwards over his own feet?

And I'm with you on Lawrence. He doesn't show up at all. I'm afraid he just doesn't have much.
He needs work. I just thought I would see more in the speed and burst department, but nope.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I have to admit, I am getting a little concerned about Lawrence.

I get that he was hurt and had a set back. But I don't think it is unreasonable to expect a flash here or there.

Not giving up on him, but it would be nice to see a little something encouraging.
I'm concerned, but he might just be a guy that takes a year or two, like Crawford did. I'd hope he has a bit more to offer than that, but I can't see him being an outright bust.

Still.... nothing he has done prevents me from selecting a starting caliber RE in the first round this offseason.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm concerned, but he might just be a guy that takes a year or two, like Crawford did. I'd hope he has a bit more to offer than that, but I can't see him being an outright bust.

Still.... nothing he has done prevents me from selecting a starting caliber RE in the first round this offseason.
Or perhaps signing Jerry Hughes from Buffalo as a FA.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He needs work. I just thought I would see more in the speed and burst department, but nope.
He is still really slow off the ball. Hopefully more coaching helps that.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think I expected a little more nastiness from Lawrence than what we are getting. Maybe it will come when he is more acclimated and understands his assignments...over thinking and whatnot, but I wish he'd quit thinking and just start doing.

Top Bottom