Archer: Cowboys' offense in 2020 - is it better with Andy Dalton on board?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
we got Biadasz in the 4th (146), after Robinson.
Thanks for the correction and I think my statement still holds. I kind of see him as a 5th rounder based on where we took him in the round. But yeah, 4th round.

The team knew Chris Canty’s eye was on the mend and he wasn’t a fight starting maniac because we had a connection we trusted.

I don’t see evidence of that about Biadasz. A hip injury for a center is no joke.

To contrast, we saw articles about Canty’s eye being probably ok almost immediately after he was drafted in 05.

We’re starting to see articles surface about Anae, not just regarding slow 40 times, but how he got sloppy and put on weight. It doesn’t speak well of him, and so the risk is legit.

We don’t have an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder, we have a late 4th and a 5th rounder each with concerns that you can’t just think will magically vanish.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Thanks for the correction and I think my statement still holds. I kind of see him as a 5th rounder based on where we took him in the round. But yeah, 4th round.

The team knew Chris Canty’s eye was on the mend and he wasn’t a fight starting maniac because we had a connection we trusted.

I don’t see evidence of that about Biadasz. A hip injury for a center is no joke.

To contrast, we saw articles about Canty’s eye being probably ok almost immediately after he was drafted in 05.

We’re starting to see articles surface about Anae, not just regarding slow 40 times, but how he got sloppy and put on weight. It doesn’t speak well of him, and so the risk is legit.

We don’t have an extra 2nd and 3rd rounder, we have a late 4th and a 5th rounder each with concerns that you can’t just think will magically vanish.
But isn't it a bit disingenuous to pretend that Biadasz and Anae are no more likely to pan out than regular fourth and fifth rounders?

They aren't sure things, yes, there's a reason they fell, but that doesn't mean they can't also be steals with talent more on par with players taken a round or two ahead of them. Of course, those players fail too, so nothing is guaranteed, but I think the point is.... we SHOULD feel good with these players.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
He played all of 2019 without it bothering him but go on

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
But isn't it a bit disingenuous to pretend that Biadasz and Anae are no more likely to pan out than regular fourth and fifth rounders?
They have upside and come with risk. Like Leary or Tai Streets. I feel good about both, though not as good about Anae of late.

With most 4th rounders you are wondering if they can become pros and overcome some gap in their game to become players. With these two two it’s different kinds of gaps because we’ve seen them play at the level of 2nd and 3rd round prospects.

With Biadasz it’s a history of injury. With Anae it’s professionalism regarding his weight, his quickness, and maybe his attitude.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
They have upside and come with risk. Like Leary or Tai Streets. I feel good about both, though not as good about Anae of late.

With most 4th rounders you are wondering if they can become pros and overcome some gap in their game to become players. With these two two it’s different kinds of gaps because we’ve seen them play at the level of 2nd and 3rd round prospects.

With Biadasz it’s a history of injury. With Anae it’s professionalism regarding his weight, his quickness, and maybe his attitude.
Leary was a UDFA, Tai Street was a 7th rounder. A little different right?

Maybe Canty and Barber arent realistic expectations but surely there is a middle ground example.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Leary was a UDFA, Tai Street was a 7th rounder. A little different right?

Maybe Canty and Barber arent realistic expectations but surely there is a middle ground example.
Basically everyone's treating this like it's a done deal we got some 1st or 2nd round stud in Biadasz in the late 4th when the reality is we got a player with legit concerns. He's been injury prone, and does that worsen in the pros? That's why the whole league including Dallas passed on him for four rounds, not because everyone else (including us) was stupid or something.

Same thing with Anae. Why did he develop an attitude and show up to some workouts at nearly 300 pounds? Why did he bomb is 40 time? Will it be a Terrell Suggs situation where his 40 time dropped him lower in the draft and turned out to be a non-issue, or will his attitude and lack of quickness be a legit problem in the pros? Dallas is taking a chance here.

There were concerns that Barber wasn't an every down back, and those concerns turned out legit. Jerry dumped a Brinks truck on Barber's front lawn just as he completely ran out of juice. Most of the league didn't know whether Canty actually started the barfight that ended with a bottle getting smashed across his eye and seriously injuring him. Turns out Canty didn't start the fight and was in the wrong place at the wrong time and his eye healed fine. There was a risk that either or both of those things wouldn't be true.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Basically everyone's treating this like it's a done deal we got some 1st or 2nd round stud in Biadasz in the late 4th when the reality is we got a player with legit concerns. He's been injury prone, and does that worsen in the pros? That's why the whole league including Dallas passed on him for four rounds, not because everyone else (including us) was stupid or something.

Same thing with Anae. Why did he develop an attitude and show up to some workouts at nearly 300 pounds? Why did he bomb is 40 time? Will it be a Terrell Suggs situation where his 40 time dropped him lower in the draft and turned out to be a non-issue, or will his attitude and lack of quickness be a legit problem in the pros? Dallas is taking a chance here.

There were concerns that Barber wasn't an every down back, and those concerns turned out legit. Jerry dumped a Brinks truck on Barber's front lawn just as he completely ran out of juice. Most of the league didn't know whether Canty actually started the barfight that ended with a bottle getting smashed across his eye and seriously injuring him. Turns out Canty didn't start the fight and was in the wrong place at the wrong time and his eye healed fine. There was a risk that either or both of those things wouldn't be true.
I don't see anyone treating those players like that.

Biadasz we feel good about - but he's part of a committee that will determine the starter at center along with Looney and McGovern, and maybe even Cam Irving. I feel good that we can find a starter out of that group. If Looney has to hold the fort down for a year, fine, we think Biadasz may be able to develop into that role, albeit not quite as fast as instant-starter Frederick.

It's not a worst case scenario that McGovern takes that job and Connor Williams starts at left guard again, either. We've seen what that looks like and it's not terrible, and Williams should be continuing to improve.

Same with Anae. If he's a hit at all, he's at least a situational pass rusher and contributor, not that we are counting on him to step in and have 10 sacks. In tandem with Aldon Smith, Tyrone Crawford, and maybe Randy Gregory, they should be able to bring him along slow and hopefully in a year he's a starter. He's an "I feel good about this guy developing into a starter," pick, not an "I need this guy to start at a high level immediately," pick like Lamb or even Diggs.

My take on Anae and Biadasz would put them on par with Gallimore for the most part, probably a small notch behind since Gallimore was also more like an early-mid 2nd who we stole in the 3rd. But both were Day 2 talents that were available when we picked on Day 3. None of them are immediate starters and none have to be, but hopefully all are future quality starters, and there is reason to believe they all will be. If not, then it's a very reasonable projection that they are at least all high quality depth.

But the bottom line is, we DID get steals in Anae and Biadasz. Were they better players than Gallimore or Diggs? Maybe not, so it's not like teams were "stupid," for passing on them in the second or early third, but by the late fourth and late fifth (when we had not picked since the third), yes, I would maintain that each of those players should have gone about a round or so earlier and still have been good values. The league did let these players fall a good round to two rounds from where they were worthy of being selected.

We did score some bonus here at the expense of the league. No need to downplay it. We have been on the receiving end plenty of times of having stupidly missed out on good players. It happens. This year it happened in our favor twice.

These kinds of drafts are once every decade or two drafts, we've seen. Enjoy it, don't shit on it.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Enjoy it, don't shit on it.
I greatly appreciated the draft. I think everyone except the QB has a chance to contribute ion 2020.

I'm just respecting the question marks that caused our players chosen in rounds 4 and 5 to fall.

What I really like is that the question marks are not about a lack of talent but related to other risk factors we might be able to influence with proper training and coaching.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The only concern I have with Badass's hip is if it caused him to have a down 2019 season. I don't think it did, and if it didn't the guy never missed a game because of it so I'm not worried about the hip. He reminds me a lot of Frederick really. Especially in the way that he might get hurt but he never misses a game anyway. He is also an elite level run blocker. He anchors against the run really well too.

We will just have tl see if he can get the mental part down to start as a rookie. That's usually the holdup with rookie centers and why they don't start often unless they were a top pick.

I think he could start at guard potentially too. Lots of really good NFL centers get their feet wet at guard first where they don't have the same mental demands.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I think Badass is like Fred was, anchored at center.

Top Bottom