Archer: Cowboys' offense in 2020 - is it better with Andy Dalton on board?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jun 2, 2020
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

The Dallas Cowboys were a disappointing 8-8 in 2019, which led to a change at the top, with Jason Garrett out and Mike McCarthy in as head coach.

Through NFL free agency and the 2020 NFL draft, the Cowboys seemed to fill holes and find improvements, but the virtual offseason program has left some questions that cannot be answered yet. Still, ESPN's Football Power Index gave the Cowboys the fifth-best chance to win Super Bowl LV, even if it is 5%.

With that as a backdrop, have the Cowboys gotten better, stayed the same or gotten worse?

Here is a position-by-position look at the Cowboys' offense for 2020:

Quarterback

Quarterback Andy Dalton brings nine years of experience, including postseason, with him to Dallas. AP Photo/Ron Schwane
Additions: Andy Dalton

Losses: Cooper Rush

Returners: Dak Prescott, Clayton Thorson

Better, worse or the same? Better

It's actually far better, and it doesn't have to do with the improvement Prescott showed last season. It has everything to do with the arrival of Dalton in free agency.

Rush threw three passes in three seasons as Prescott's backup and none since 2017. Although Prescott has not missed a start in his career, would you feel more confident about Rush winning a game or Dalton? Dalton has 204 touchdown passes and more than 32,000 total passing yards in his career. He took the Cincinnati Bengals to the playoffs five times, though he does not have a postseason victory. He has not had a winning record in four straight seasons, but he will be surrounded by better players if called upon to play.

He is guaranteed $3 million this season, which is $900,000 more than what Rush was going to make.

Running back

Additions: Darius Anderson, Rico Dowdle, Sewo Olonilua

Losses: None

Returners: Ezekiel Elliott, Tony Pollard, Jamize Olawale, Jordan Chunn

Better, worse or the same? The same

With no big changes here, the growth at the position will come from the steps Pollard takes in Year 2.

In 2019, Elliott was not as explosive as he was in his first three seasons. Maybe some of that was because he held out of training camp, but he still ran for 1,357 yards and was the NFL's fourth-leading rusher. McCarthy did not have a runner like Elliott with Green Bay, but he had success running the ball and has said Elliott will get a lot of carries.

Given the price the Cowboys paid for Elliott, that would seem to limit Pollard's opportunities. Will McCarthy add some gadgets to his offense to use Pollard and Elliott in a way similar to how New Orleans Saints coach Sean Payton used Alvin Kamara and Mark Ingram? Pollard had two 100-yard games as a rookie and showed that he can make big plays. Getting him involved more in the passing game would help, too.

Wide receiver

Additions: CeeDee Lamb, Stephen Guidry, Aaron Parker, Kendrick Rogers

Losses: Randall Cobb, Tavon Austin

Returners: Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Devin Smith, Ventell Bryant, Cedrick Wilson, Noah Brown, Jon'Vea Johnson, Tevin Jones

Better, worse or the same? Better

This was a tougher call than you would expect, even with the addition of Lamb as the team's first-round pick. That's how good Cobb was last season as the No. 3 receiver. But if Lamb's big-play ability can carry over to the NFL, the Cowboys could have the league's best trio.

Cooper was signed to a $100 million contract, including $40 million fully guaranteed, in the offseason, but his production trailed off for most of the second half in 2019. He finished with career highs in yards (1,189) and touchdowns (eight) despite the slump. Gallup had 66 receptions for 1,107 yards and six touchdowns and made a number of athletic catches.

With Cooper, Gallup and Lamb, the Cowboys have the ability to strike from anywhere on the field, but what's behind them? Brown missed last season because of a knee injury. Wilson has ability but has not been able to stay healthy. After a solid start, Smith did not get many chances to play. Bryant was seen mostly as a special-teamer.

Tight end

Additions: Blake Bell, Sean McKeon, Charlie Taumoepeau

Losses: Jason Witten

Returners: Blake Jarwin, Dalton Schultz, Cole Hikutini

Better, worse or the same? Worse

Some critics believe Witten was an impediment on an offense that put up great numbers. He had 63 catches for 539 yards and four touchdowns, and his blocking was solid. The Cowboys will miss him.

Jarwin has to show that he is ready for more action. He can stretch the field better than Witten, but when it's third-and-6, can he come close to what Witten's productivity was over the years? It isn't about the flashy plays. It's about the consistency in big moments. The Cowboys believe that Jarwin can be that guy because they gave him a $22 million contract, but he still has to prove it.

Bell was added because of his blocking ability, but he played more in Kansas City (38%) than many would think for Travis Kelce's backup. If Bell can help as a blocker, that will free up some opportunities for Jarwin, too.

The group might turn out to be better than it was in 2020, but you can't say it is better at the moment.

Offensive line

Additions: Cam Erving, Tyler Biadasz, Wyatt Miller, Terence Steele

Losses: Travis Frederick, Cameron Fleming, Xavier Su'a-Filo

Returners: Tyron Smith, Zack Martin, La'el Collins, Joe Looney, Connor Williams, Connor McGovern, Adam Redmond, Cody Wichmann, Brandon Knight, Mitch Hyatt, Marcus Henry

Better, worse or the same? Worse

In some ways, this should be worse, with an asterisk. Losing Frederick is a big blow because he was voted to the Pro Bowl in 2019 after missing the previous season because of an autoimmune disease. To a lot of other teams, losing a Pro Bowl center would be devastating, but the Cowboys believe that they will be OK at the spot in 2020.

Without Frederick in 2018, Prescott was sacked 56 times. In Frederick's return in 2019, Prescott was sacked 23 times. Having Frederick helped, but what also helped was the quarterback's consistency in his drop from center and his ability to get rid of the ball quickly. Also, the Cowboys went back to their former ways of pass protection last season after changing them in 2018 under new line coach Paul Alexander.

Looney is not Frederick, but he proved to be a solid replacement in 2018. If he does not win the job, then last year's third-round pick, McGovern, who did not play because of a pectoral injury, can step up.

The line remains a strength because the Cowboys return Pro Bowlers in Smith and Martin, and Collins had his best season at right tackle in 2019.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Does upgrading your depth make you better? I'd say so, but its hard to say because you don't know if Dalton will play much if at all. Does an good insurance policy mean improvement? Only if you have an accident/catastrophe.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
A nice break down, the biggest concern for me right now is the O line. They need to get together and gel well. the loss of Fredrick is huge. Looney did great that season, but idk if MM is going to start him at center.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Does upgrading your depth make you better? I'd say so, but its hard to say because you don't know if Dalton will play much if at all. Does an good insurance policy mean improvement? Only if you have an accident/catastrophe.
Well, buying insurance doesn't make your car run any better or faster. But it sure helps when it breaks down and doesn't run any more.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

p1_

DCC 4Life
A nice break down, the biggest concern for me right now is the O line. They need to get together and gel well. the loss of Fredrick is huge. Looney did great that season, but idk if MM is going to start him at center.
we dont know who will start, but Looney did have a full season under fire and didnt suck. Between Looney, Badass and McGovern, we have solid to strong capability. Left guard also concerns me, maybe Williams makes another step forward this season.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
we dont know who will start, but Looney did have a full season under fire and didnt suck. Between Looney, Badass and McGovern, we have solid to strong capability. Left guard also concerns me, maybe Williams makes another step forward this season.

as much as i agree with this, a rookie should not be our starting C for this year if MM is serious about a serious run. Sorry, to much at stake.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
as much as i agree with this, a rookie should not be our starting C for this year if MM is serious about a serious run. Sorry, to much at stake.
Pfft. Rookies start on the oline all the time all over the league and do just fine. We've had a few rookies starting on the oline, including center, here in the not so distant past, and they've done just fine. If Biadasz beats out the other two in a fair competition during camp, then let him start.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Pfft. Rookies start on the oline all the time all over the league and do just fine. We've had a few rookies starting on the oline, including center, here in the not so distant past, and they've done just fine. If Biadasz beats out the other two in a fair competition during camp, then let him start.
yep, Frederick started right away

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Biadasz starting would surprise me, not so much because he's a rookie or even a 5th round pick, but because he seemingly has had lingering injury issues and won't be doing anything with the team until training camp in July.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Biadasz starting would surprise me, not so much because he's a rookie or even a 5th round pick, but because he seemingly has had lingering injury issues and won't be doing anything with the team until training camp in July.
Yeah the way the offseason is this year I think it makes it harder for all rookies.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life

how many later round centers have started their rookie year and did really well? Fred wasnt just a ho hum center, and we havent had that kind of a center in a long time.

playing fine, is not compared to "we need to win this season and go deep for a playoff run"

p1_

DCC 4Life
how many later round centers have started their rookie year and did really well? Fred wasnt just a ho hum center, and we havent had that kind of a center in a long time.

playing fine, is not compared to "we need to win this season and go deep for a playoff run"
dont sell Biadasz short. He's no slouch at all. Projected as 2nd/3rd round talent, fell into our laps in the 4th round over medical concerns. If he's healthy, he's a hoss.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There are reasons Biadasz and Anae fell. You've got to temper your expectations as you would for any 5th rounders. One fell because of a serious hip condition and another copped an attitude and grew overweight and slow trying for a position that requires speed and quickness.

Maybe Biadasz rehabs well enough to resume his development and maybe Anae got bad advice and will thrive under the right coaches and trainers. Those are two HUGE maybes.

Players with those kinds of concerns are normally 4th rounders which in this case fell into our laps in the 5th round because this draft is really deep.

I think Biadasz has a better shot than Anae IMO. Anae essentially chose to slide, Biadasz had no choice.

p1_

DCC 4Life
There are reasons Biadasz and Anae fell. You've got to temper your expectations as you would for any 5th rounders. One fell because of a serious hip condition and another copped an attitude and grew overweight and slow trying for a position that requires speed and quickness.

Maybe Biadasz rehabs well enough to resume his development and maybe Anae got bad advice and will thrive under the right coaches and trainers. Those are two HUGE maybes.

Players with those kinds of concerns are normally 4th rounders which in this case fell into our laps in the 5th round because this draft is really deep.

I think Biadasz has a better shot than Anae IMO. Anae essentially chose to slide, Biadasz had no choice.
we got Biadasz in the 4th (146), after Robinson.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

I think Biadasz fell a lot because of the lockdown and teams weren't able to have their own Drs sign off on him

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
dont sell Biadasz short. He's no slouch at all. Projected as 2nd/3rd round talent, fell into our laps in the 4th round over medical concerns. If he's healthy, he's a hoss.
I'm sorry, sir, but I'm going to have to ask you to start calling him by his god given name... Badass.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think Biadasz fell a lot because of the lockdown and teams weren't able to have their own Drs sign off on him
Correct.

But now I'm hearing he has a serious hip "condition". WTF were we thinking, burning a 4th rounder on that? God damn wildcatting Jerry...

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Correct.

But now I'm hearing he has a serious hip "condition". WTF were we thinking, burning a 4th rounder on that? God damn wildcatting Jerry...
Ravi must have some serious insider info considering Biadasz played all of last year without that bothering him and it was a shoulder injury everyone I saw was worried about

Top Bottom