Archer: Cowboys need B.W. Webb to be ready

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys need B.W. Webb to be ready

November, 1, 2013

By Todd Archer | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- With cornerback Morris Claiborne expected to be out through the bye week because of a hamstring strain, the Dallas Cowboys will look to rookie cornerback B.W. Webb to take over the No. 3 role behind Orlando Scandrick and Brandon Carr.

While technically it is a backup role, the third cornerback does not play backup snaps. Webb, a fourth-round pick, might not be counted on much Sunday against the Minnesota Vikings because of their running game, but he has to stay ready.

“I prepare the same way every week so it’s nothing I’m doing differently,” Webb said. “I was ready then. I’m ready now.”
Webb played 39 snaps in the loss to the Detroit Lions after Claiborne went out. The Cowboys chose to play him in the slot and keep Scandrick outside.

“I thought he handled himself well and there certainly were a number of mistakes he made in the game and lot of that has to do with inexperience,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He' s just not been in that situation before. But I thought from a poise standpoint, he handled himself well. Hopefully he will learn from that experience.”

Before the Lions game, Webb played 31 defensive snaps in the first seven games. He had two games where he did not see a down of action as a cornerback and maxed out at 15 plays in the 31-7 win against the St. Louis Rams.

Webb has leaned on Carr for help.

“I hate telling you this but Brandon is like my mentor and I don’t ever tell him that because then he gets a big head,” Webb said. “But one thing I think that I’ve learned from him is the ups and downs of this game. You can’t get too high. You can’t get too low. You’ve just got to learn to stay calm in the middle. Good things are going to happen, bad things are going to happen. You’ve got to be a pro about it and get on to the next play.”

Top Bottom