Alabama to Implement “Race-Based Standards” in Public Schools

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Here We Go: Alabama to Implement “Race-Based Standards” in Public Schools
14 July 2013 / 196 Comments

Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to post-racial America. Via the Wall Street Journal:

Read more: http://MinutemenNews.com/2013/07/here-we-go-alabama-to-implement-race-based-standards-in-public-schools/#ixzz2Z3CsXYaR

The Alabama Federation of Republican Women (AFRW) strongly opposes “race-based standards for student achievement” pushed by the Alabama Department of Education, as reported in The Tuscaloosa News on Sunday, June 30. Minority students will be held to a lower standard, and would be tracked at a lower standard throughout their academic career from K-12.

According to this article by Jamon Smith, “Beginning this fall, Alabama public schools will be under a new state-created academic accountability system that sets different goals for students in math and reading based on their race, economic status, ability to speak English and disabilities.” Alabama’s Plan 2020 “sets a different standard for students in each of several subgroups — American Indian, Asian/Pacific islander, black, English language learners, Hispanic, multirace, poverty, special education and white.”

The “race-based” standards are part of Common Core, adopted by the state board of education in November 2010.

Walter Russell Mead points out that race-based standards are hardly new. Indeed, he writes, 27 out of the 33 states that received waivers from No Child Left Behind’s strict academic requirements in 2012 “now have different achievement goals for different groups of students.” This in turn works out well for public schools who can keep receiving federal funds even though many of their students are falling by the wayside. But just because this practice is exceedingly common and popular doesn’t necessarily mean it’s morally defensible. One of the more powerful arguments against Plessy vs. Ferguson — the infamous “separate but equal” Supreme Court ruling in 1896 — was that sending white and black students to separate but unequal school systems seriously harmed children. Why? Because it made young blacks feel inferior. Question: How on earth would lowering academic standards for non-whites in Alabama’s public schools be any less discriminatory?

Read more: http://MinutemenNews.com/2013/07/here-we-go-alabama-to-implement-race-based-standards-in-public-schools/#ixzz2Z3CiliS3

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Alabama Federation of Republican Women (AFRW) strongly opposes “race-based standards for student achievement” pushed by the Alabama Department of Education, as reported in The Tuscaloosa News on Sunday, June 30. Minority students will be held to a lower standard, and would be tracked at a lower standard throughout their academic career from K-12.

According to this article by Jamon Smith, “Beginning this fall, Alabama public schools will be under a new state-created academic accountability system that sets different goals for students in math and reading based on their race, economic status, ability to speak English and disabilities.” Alabama’s Plan 2020 “sets a different standard for students in each of several subgroups — American Indian, Asian/Pacific islander, black, English language learners, Hispanic, multirace, poverty, special education and white.”
The “race-based” standards are part of Common Core, adopted by the state board of education in November 2010.
This makes no sense if the whole idea is to provide the racially challenged a better chance in society.

What way to inform the white controlled upper class that the achievements of minorities were all achieved grading on a curve.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
Now this is systemic racism.

On a side note, why aren't asian kids going to be held to the highest possible standard if they're going with stereotypes for their education standards?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This makes no sense if the whole idea is to provide the racially challenged a better chance in society.

What way to inform the white controlled upper class that the achievements of minorities were all achieved grading on a curve.
It seems almost too ridiculous to be true. It's a mostly black school, so that means we should lower the educational standards there. I would be offended if I was from a minority class.

Cotton

Staff member
It seems almost too ridiculous to be true. It's a mostly black school, so that means we should lower the educational standards there. I would be offended if I was from a minority class.
Most people would be offended. And, if you approached by saying, "Your race is too stupid to compete at the same academic levels as other races" they would be offended. But, the approach is, "We are just trying to help your kid graduate so they can better themselves", so it is accepted and applauded by many morons. It's even more sad that most that applaud the action are in office of some sort.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Please tell me this is an Onion article.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
This must be a trend. I know at least one other state, I think Florida, was mulling over doing the same thing. It seems like an attempt to make the system look better by producing better overall scores on paper while completely discriminating against minority students. As usual, providing students with a quality education appears to be taking a back seat to some other agenda.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This must be a trend. I know at least one other state, I think Florida, was mulling over doing the same thing. It seems like an attempt to make the system look better by producing better overall scores on paper while completely discriminating against minority students. As usual, providing students with a quality education appears to be taking a back seat to some other agenda.
It does have a lot to do with the scores though, no question. The school system in this country is pretty corrupt as well. It is basically a stepping stone for political office. If your test scores look good, people view that as success. Nobody cares how it got there.

D

Deuce

If you look at education rankings, Alabama is always near the bottom. I'm sure this a ploy on their part to look normal. But how's that black kid with a 4.0 going to feel when he doesn't get accepted to certain schools cause they know his numbers are skewed?

Cotton

Staff member
If you look at education rankings, Alabama is always near the bottom. I'm sure this a ploy on their part to look normal. But how's that black kid with a 4.0 going to feel when he doesn't get accepted to certain schools cause they know his numbers are skewed?
Don't you worry about that. Affirmative action and other such retardisms will make it a-okay.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't you worry about that. Affirmative action and other such retardisms will make it a-okay.
And then they will get into a college/grad school that they shouldn't and get grades that would get most students booted. Of course the school will go out of their way to make sure they graduate so that their numbers show diversity as well. The whole thing just gets passed up the chain repeatedly. I have seen it first hand way too much and it is truly sad. In my opinion it takes away from the minority students that really are brilliant and accomplish everything on their own.

Cotton

Staff member
And then they will get into a college/grad school that they shouldn't and get grades that would get most students booted. Of course the school will go out of their way to make sure they graduate so that their numbers show diversity as well. The whole thing just gets passed up the chain repeatedly. I have seen it first hand way too much and it is truly sad. In my opinion it takes away from the minority students that really are brilliant and accomplish everything on their own.
Right, that's what I said.

jeebs

Brand New Member
Now this is systemic racism.

On a side note, why aren't asian kids going to be held to the highest possible standard if they're going with stereotypes for their education standards?
Because there are no asians in alabama?

Top Bottom