A serious question for the attorneys and those with legal backgrounds

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
This Muslim extremist, Ayoub El Khazzan, who attempted the mass shooting on the train in France is a perfect example of someone who should be eligible for capital punishment for a non-death related crime.

If not for the bravery and quick thinking of our men in uniform we're probably talking about a mass shooting similar to the one that was carried out in Tunisia about a month ago. Dozens killed, dozens more wounded.

The death penalty should be an option for assholes like this.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This Muslim extremist, Ayoub El Khazzan, who attempted the mass shooting on the train in France is a perfect example of someone who should be eligible for capital punishment for a non-death related crime.

If not for the bravery and quick thinking of our men in uniform we're probably talking about a mass shooting similar to the one that was carried out in Tunisia about a month ago. Dozens killed, dozens more wounded.

The death penalty should be an option for assholes like this.
Again, I agree 100%. This fool has shown he intends to kill. Why give him another chance at success?

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
This is something that has always bothered me.

In America why are we not allowed to apply the same sentence that someone would receive for a murder to someone who attempts murder?

For example, someone points a gun at someone and intentionally shoots them in the head but the victim miraculously survives. So now instead of possibly facing the death penalty, life in prison, etc., the person faces lesser charges. Even though it's clear as day that this person had every intent to kill the other individual he/she still gets a lesser sentence. That's never made sense to me.

In murder/attempted murder cases I've never understood the reasoning that a person should receive a lesser punishment just because a live was not lost.

I feel the same way about all these would be terrorists and ISIS supporters that the FBI are rolling up. If you get caught trying to purchase and build devices with the intent of carrying out a deadly attack, I think those people should be charged for murder. Not some lighter "conspiracy to commit a terroristic act" nonsense.

Obviously their intent is to inflict death and mass casualties. So why are we rewarding them with lighter charges just because they were caught early by an FBI informant? In my opinion, capital punishment should be on the table for these individuals as well.

Anyone else feel this way or am I way out in left field on this one?

Just some random questions that have floated around in my mind from time to time.
In Texas, there are a few things that could apply. Murder is a first degree felony. Capital murder is what it says it is and includes the possibility of the death penalty. Capital murder includes murder in commission of some other felony (robbery, burglary etc), murder of a public servant while in the performance of their duties, child, elderly, infirmed etc. There are also other first degree felonies such as burglary of a habitation, aggravated asslt. So in a case such as you described, while an attempted offense is usually one penalty lower than the completed crime, what may happen is that if you shoot someone with the intent to kill them but they survive, it is far easier to prove aggravated assault. Therefore you are still charged with a crime that carries the possibility for the same penalty. Not sure how it is in other states, but I bet it would be close.

Top Bottom