A new dead horse to beat: What are your reactions to the NFL's anti-kneeling rule?

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
The fact that you think that Obama was more of a “divider” than the man who spent 8 years saying he was from Kenya is pretty telling.

After the Dallas shooting Obama came to speak with George W in hopes of helping unite the country. After C-Ville Trump defended Nazis and went golfing. Obama was a politician who had stances people disagreed with. Trump is a filthy piece of shit who doubles down when his staffers joke about McCain dying. Do you see the difference?
Yeah, I heard the speech where he turned a memorial type deal for the 5 fallen officers into a gun control lecture. I've talked to many Dallas officers about it and to a person they were infuriated by it and wished he hadn't come. Some of the families lived in the division I commanded here in Fort Worth at the time. Not happy either. So yes, that Obama. Again I tell you, I don't know Trump personally, but I bet in your lifetime, in private, you have made a crass or rude statement when you are among people you supposedly trust for it not to get out. Just saying. Personally, Since McCain won't retire and can't do his job, dying seems to be the only way he is leaving his position. And it's all because of spite and not other reason. The family deserves comfort, but they need to tell him to quit being a hateful POS. People would have far more sympathy.

Regardless, you hate Trump, we get it. I didn't hate Obama until his second term only his politics. But Trump is trying to the things that he promised to get my vote and frankly as long as he does that, I don't care what sort of person he is as long as he works within the law and the Constitution. Seemed to be another problem the past president had, not doing that.

Lastly, I think you are bearing witness to a left wing meltdown of epic proportion. With all the nutty, hateful, and in many cases untruthful things being cast Trump's way, my guess is they are pushing more independents toward him. I think re does run again and wins re-election by a larger margin. We'll see.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The core issue with these two presidents is how people learn about them.

Trump makes an ass of himself without any need for right wing spin, just candid comments during interviews, tweets and rallies.

Obama coverage was mostly positive from the left and deeply negative from the right, but it depended a lot more on spin, if you tune into Judge Jeannine her programming was built on the idea that whatever simple innocuous thing Obama did was an affront to the constitution, God and the troops.

With Trump you need no additional commentary, he digs his own grave, and then his loyal bootlickers fly out to be outraged over the outrage.
I keep reading about how "divisive" Obama was. He was "divisive" by his mere presence (race) and to a smaller extent, his globalist perspective.

In other words, you had to dig for reasons to feel he was dividing the country unless of course, you had a real axe to grind with the fact he was black and mostly liberal.

Trump doesn't bother with filters. He doesn't even pretend he gives a shit.

I guess that appeals to the knuckle-draggers, but it is sad to watch.

I have never seen any standing President be so partisan, self-serving and frankly, ignorant.

I guess that is his appeal.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Liberals as a whole vary. For instance there are a lot of Al Franken truthers that think his accusers are all a bunch of right wing plants.There are definitely shameless partisans on the left, but you don’t need to take a snippet of what Trump says out of context.

Which by the way, anyone who listened to Trump’s whole interview could come away with the impression that he used a sheriff’s, non-question, statement about MS-13 as a jumping off point to talk about illegal immigrants as a whole, there’s a difference between taking a couple sentences of speech out of context, and insisting there’s additional context to an unabridged response that was blirted out without a single reference to MS-13.

Trump apologetics demands we assume he’s so stupid that he accidentally says things that sound incredibly bigoted, but every piece of dumb racist, or sexist bullshit he blurts out is just him, the president, being an innocent without control of his words. Meanwhile the radical fringe of people who rejoice at his every word, and get covered for by him, continue to feel like Trump “tells it like it is”.

And declaring things “imagined” and “pretend” doesn’t make it so. Was “bleeding from her wherever” imaginary? Was Charlottesville imaginary? Good news for Heather Heyer’s parents, maybe they can get a refund on that headstone.

I’m so fucking sick of this both siderism. Assuming both sides are even, and grasping at straws to draw equivalency is operates from the same useless confirmation bias as someone who thinks the opposing team is always wrong.
I don’t know why but this made me imagine white vans parked while using listening devices trying their best to pick up any racist signals.

“If you listen real hard you can hear the racism.”

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Obama was way more divisive than just skin color and globalism. Tacit support of identity politics is inherently devisive way more than you saw just a generation ago with Bill Clinton. And Hillary Clinton was more devisive than Obama; certainly she abandoned her husband’s model for the left’s new playbook.

But certainly it would be impossible to argue that Trump hasn’t been more devisive. He has unfortunately both wittingly (through all his tough talk and insults) and unwittingly (failing to denounce white nationalism strongly enough, perhaps, and i say unwittingly because i don’t believe Trump actually has any sympathy for Nazi’s), become way more devisive.

However, part of the devisiveness is the left’s reaction and assumption that he’s evil; and in this sense it definitely mirrors and largely equals the right’s demonization of Obama as an America hating Muslim.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If people think Obama was divisive, it was probably way simpler than you put it....like his skin color and the birther shit.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Um, no. I think he was divisive, and I thought the birther stuff was irrelevant and his skin color was a positive. I wish conservatives had a legit black candidate.

The way he handled some of the racial incidents was definitely less than uniting.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Um, no. I think he was divisive, and I thought the birther stuff was irrelevant and his skin color was a positive. I wish conservatives had a legit black candidate.

The way he handled some of the racial incidents was definitely less than uniting.
Yeah Obama was extremely divisive. And no it wasn't just because he was black.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
If people think Obama was divisive, it was probably way simpler than you put it....like his skin color and the birther shit.
I think that's probably unfair. I mean, yes a significant portion of the right wing hated having a black man in the white house. There is zero question about that. As they say, you don't have to be a racist to be a republican but if you're a racist you are definitely a republican. That being said you hear too many conservatives parroting this line to think it's all about that.

This is a Fox news talking point. Literally everything Obama did form ordering dijon mustard to his wife pushing kids to eat better got politicized. No matter how innocuous or bipartisan, Fox News and the Reps fought it and cast it as malevolent. After a while it sinks in and these guys believe it implicitly. I've asked people to give me examples and out comes the beer summit incident. However, the guy apologized and made every attempt to mend fences. After that example, it all gets very vague. Meeting with celebrities, going to Hollywood awards show, shit like that. As if that shows anything. Who wouldn't go to the Oscars if invited? I've googled articles about why people think he's so divisive and they're all just partisan trash. I haven't read anything above "he didn't do what we wanted him to do" so he's divisive. It's not like there was anyone trying to compromise with Obama for 8 years.

Meanwhile, you ask why Trumpy is seen as divisive and people can go like 20 deep on examples without blinking an eye. That being said, at least the folks here have the intellectual honesty to admit that.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Fortsbest has given you an example: the post-Dallas cop assassination speech where he lectured on gun control. IMO almost every post-racial incident, like in Ferguson, was disappointing. He was in a unique position to try to unite people and almost every time he turned that down. Not saying he was doing it to purposely be divisive -- maybe he was just afraid of alienating his political base -- but each time he ended up pushing people apart when he could have done the opposite. Again, very disappointing and not what so many moderates thought they were getting when they elected him.

I do have to say also that the entire tone of your post strikes me as very condescending. "Literally everything" Obama did was politicized? No it wasn't. I seriously doubt I'm the only one who couldn't care less about some awards show.

And not every conservative has to be a racist, or uneducated, or gets her opinions from Fox News. You guys really need to re-think that attitude, because it's a lot of what got Trump elected.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I think that's probably unfair. I mean, yes a significant portion of the right wing hated having a black man in the white house. There is zero question about that. As they say, you don't have to be a racist to be a republican but if you're a racist you are definitely a republican. That being said you hear too many conservatives parroting this line to think it's all about that.

This is a Fox news talking point. Literally everything Obama did form ordering dijon mustard to his wife pushing kids to eat better got politicized. No matter how innocuous or bipartisan, Fox News and the Reps fought it and cast it as malevolent. After a while it sinks in and these guys believe it implicitly. I've asked people to give me examples and out comes the beer summit incident. However, the guy apologized and made every attempt to mend fences. After that example, it all gets very vague. Meeting with celebrities, going to Hollywood awards show, shit like that. As if that shows anything. Who wouldn't go to the Oscars if invited? I've googled articles about why people think he's so divisive and they're all just partisan trash. I haven't read anything above "he didn't do what we wanted him to do" so he's divisive. It's not like there was anyone trying to compromise with Obama for 8 years.

Meanwhile, you ask why Trumpy is seen as divisive and people can go like 20 deep on examples without blinking an eye. That being said, at least the folks here have the intellectual honesty to admit that.
You forgot about the tan suit.

Fox News actually was up in arms that he wore a tan suit.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
[MENTION=29]lostxn[/MENTION]

There is zero question about that. As they say, you don't have to be a racist to be a republican but if you're a racist you are definitely a republican.
This part of your post makes me question your credibility as a fair minded person. It is a prejudicial statement at its peak.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Continuation from above.

If you will check history the founders of the Democratic Party under Andrew Jackson promoted slavery while the the Republicans under Lincoln were against it. Even in the Civil Rights act it was carried by the Republicans despite the resistance from the Democrats. You might want to rethink your view on who are racists.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

That is a flat out fucking lie.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Continuation from above.

If you will check history the founders of the Democratic Party under Andrew Jackson promoted slavery while the the Republicans under Lincoln were against it. Even in the Civil Rights act it was carried by the Republicans despite the resistance from the Democrats. You might want to rethink your view on who are racists.
Neither party is anything like their platforms from a century plus ago.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Neither party is anything like their platforms from a century plus ago.
True but how did the conservative Republican party and followers evolve to racists and when and how did the Democratic Party of race practioners and founder of KKK suddenly sprout wings. The racist label for Republicans was manufactured by the Democrats to get the black vote. They have used this ploy for a long time but now some of the black population is seeing through the BS. How anyone can just accept the lie that transcends actual history is beyond me.

Top Bottom