A look at Cowboys, CBs and the first round.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
The ad nauseum discussion of drafting CBs made me go take a look at it. 1st round picks over the last 20 years.
S, CB, LB, DE, LB, LB, RB, CB, WR, OT, CB, C, OT, CB, RB, DE, LB, WR.
5 DBs
4 LBs
2 DL
3 OL
2 RB
2WR
The CBs were Newman, Mike Jenkins, Claiborne, and Byron Jones.
Over the same time frame the team chose DBs in round 2 or 3 4 times. Derek Ross, Chido and Lewis, and Diggs.

They traded out of the 1st 4 times: for Joey Galloway, for a 2nd, 5th and future 1st, for Roy Williams, and for Amari Cooper.

The team hasn't been as bad with 1st round talent as some other teams. They have gotten reliable starters about 72% of the time (13/18). CBs would be 50% unless you think Claiborne was a quality starter. The fact that the team traded up for Claiborne hurt even more. The argument isn't as much about taking them as it is getting the pick right. The other "misses" were DE (Charlton), RB (Felix), and LB (Carpenter).

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
About the only guy that made it was Newman. The others never made 2nd contracts or shouldn't have.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jones was good enough to get us a comp pick so I counted him.
Byron Jones was a hit but I also expect first round picks to be worth a second contract to our team. Ala Martin, Smith, Frederick and Lawrence. If you don't want to spend money at corner. Why should premium draft picks be different?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Byron Jones was a hit but I also expect first round picks to be worth a second contract to our team. Ala Martin, Smith, Frederick and Lawrence. If you don't want to spend money at corner. Why should premium draft picks be different?
If you aren't giving your first round picks second contracts on the regular, you really should evaluate how you are scouting college players.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
The team has made good selections on CB in the 2nd and 3rd rounds recently, and hopefully they'll continue that trend.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The ad nauseum discussion of drafting CBs made me go take a look at it. 1st round picks over the last 20 years.
The very year before this they drafted Tony Dixon at safety because they just knew he was better than Shaun Rogers because Jerry Jones personally checked x-rays of Rogers' injured leg and just knew he would be unable to "play right away" (opening day starter for Detroit, seven year stud). They figured Willie Blade was just as good anyways (flush).

The year before that they drafted Dwayne Goodrich at CB because they again had a crazy need, even after having signed Ryan McNeil. Goodrich sucked so bad (even before committing criminally negligent homicide in a hit and run) they were forced to sign Phillippi Sparks too.

I f'ing hate drafting for need and/or acting like you are drafting the last pieces for a Superbowl run every fucking year. At least back then it was the 2nd round (though still our top pick).

I like Surtain, but he is Greg Ellis. Solid, dependable, nothing special. Caleb Farley seems a bit nastier, but hasn't played in a year and is coming off back surgery. You can get a guy close to Surtain in the 2nd. Don't blow the 10th pick just because you want to fix the defense overnight for a Superbowl run you just know you're going to have.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I f'ing hate drafting for need and/or acting like you are drafting the last pieces for a Superbowl run every fucking year. At least back then it was the 2nd round (though still our top pick).

I like Surtain, but he is Greg Ellis. Solid, dependable, nothing special. Caleb Farley seems a bit nastier, but hasn't played in a year and is coming off back surgery. You can get a guy close to Surtain in the 2nd. Don't blow the 10th pick just because you want to fix the defense overnight for a Superbowl run you just know you're going to have.
Oh, ffs.

:lol

You certainly have a flair for the dramatic.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Also, I'm totally okay with beating up this regime, but I don't think picks that happened 20 years ago pre Parcells when Lacewell was running things are very relevant to today.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, I'm totally okay with beating up this regime, but I don't think picks that happened 20 years ago pre Parcells when Lacewell was running things is very relevant to today.
I don't like drafting for need but Sertain is a legit top 10 player even if he is a corner.

I wouldn't even say picking Surtain would be for need. We are ok at corner with Diggs, Lewis and Brown. Brown is a serviceable corner if we can get great safety play. But someone like Surtain would make the secondary pretty great if he plays like he did in college.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
The very year before this they drafted Tony Dixon at safety because they just knew he was better than Shaun Rogers because Jerry Jones personally checked x-rays of Rogers' injured leg and just knew he would be unable to "play right away" (opening day starter for Detroit, seven year stud). They figured Willie Blade was just as good anyways (flush).

The year before that they drafted Dwayne Goodrich at CB because they again had a crazy need, even after having signed Ryan McNeil. Goodrich sucked so bad (even before committing criminally negligent homicide in a hit and run) they were forced to sign Phillippi Sparks too.

If Sewell, Pitts, Chase, and Waddle are all off the board, how would Surtain be drafting for need at 10? He’d likely be BPA.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Sewell, Pitts, Chase, and Waddle are all off the board, how would Surtain be drafting for need at 10? He’d likely be BPA.
I think there is still an outside chance at Sewell. I don't know how shocked I will be if someone drafts Slater before him. Which I think would be a mistake.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He might be, though I see Terence Newman as his ceiling. Newman was a good player for many years, though in hindsight you would not have drafted him 5th overall like we did. There are CBs who will be there in the 2nd who are not far behind Surtain.

I am intrigued by Rousseau and Parsons too, and believe each has more upside in their own way.

I think there is still an outside chance at Sewell. I don't know how shocked I will be if someone drafts Slater before him. Which I think would be a mistake.
Please let someone make that colossal a fuckup. I would draft this guy in a heartbeat

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
He might be, though I see Terence Newman as his ceiling. Newman was a good player for many years, though in hindsight you would not have drafted him 5th overall like we did. There are CBs who will be there in the 2nd who are not far behind Surtain.

I am intrigued by Rousseau and Parsons too, and believe each has more upside in their own way.
I’d avoid Parsons. No off the ball LB who reportedly has character issues and doesn’t love playing is worth the 10th overall pick.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I’d avoid Parsons. No off the ball LB who reportedly has character issues and doesn’t love playing is worth the 10th overall pick.
He got in trouble hazing someone. Imagine that from a football player. He was contrite about it. Bottom line I could care less about that.

He just ran an unreal 4.39 40 yard dash at his pro day, so he can haze the crap out of Jaylon Smith all day if you ask me. Joking aside he is truly gifted and what you’d expect from a top ten pick.

Top Bottom