9-year-old girl accidentally kills shooting instructor with Uzi

Jiggyfly

Banned

DOLAN SPRINGS, Ariz. (AP) — A 9-year-old girl accidentally killed an Arizona shooting instructor as he was showing her how to use an automatic Uzi, authorities said.

Charles Vacca, 39, of Lake Havasu City, died Monday shortly after being airlifted to University Medical Center in Las Vegas, Mohave County sheriff's officials said Tuesday.

Vacca was standing next to the girl at the Last Stop outdoor shooting range in White Hills when she pulled the trigger and the recoil sent the gun over her head, investigators said.

Related: Shooting by 9-year-old girl stirs debate over guns

Video released Tuesday by sheriff's officials shows the 9-year-old, wearing a gray T-shirt and pink shorts with her hair pulled back in a long braid, holding the firearm in both hands. Vacca, standing to her left, tells her to turn her left leg forward.

"All right, go ahead and give me one shot," he tells the girl, whose back is to the camera during the entire 27-second video. He then cheers when she fires one round at the target.

"All right full auto," Vacca says. The video, which does not show the actual incident, ends with a series of shots being heard.

Authorities said the girl was at the shooting range with her parents. Her name was not released.

A woman who answered the phone at the shooting range said it had no comment. She did not provide her name.

It is not known if the range had an age limit on shooting or if the girl was going through a safety class.

Ronald Scott, a Phoenix-based firearms safety expert, said most shooting ranges have an age limit and strict safety rules when teaching children to shoot. He said instructors usually have their hands on guns when children are firing high-powered weapons.

"You can't give a 9-year-old an Uzi and expect her to control it," Scott said.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What a dumb shit. As everyone knows on this board, I am very pro-gun. And I'm also very much about introducing guns to kids at as early of an age as is safe so they know what it will do to someone which I think breeds respect for the weapon, but this is downright stupid.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
What a dumb shit. As everyone knows on this board, I am very pro-gun. And I'm also very much about introducing guns to kids at as early of an age as is safe so they know what it will do to someone which I think breeds respect for the weapon, but this is downright stupid.
Agreed. My kids are familiar with firearms. And know that safety is the #1 rule. But I wouldn't dream of introducing them to a fully automatic weapon. The only reason I could think of that a nine year old would be shooting an uzi would be so their Neanderthal parents could puff out their retarded chest and grunt about it. This poor little girl will have nightmares for the rest of her life because of this.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Agreed. My kids are familiar with firearms. And know that safety is the #1 rule. But I wouldn't dream of introducing them to a fully automatic weapon. The only reason I could think of that a nine year old would be shooting an uzi would be so their Neanderthal parents could puff out their retarded chest and grunt about it. This poor little girl will have nightmares for the rest of her life because of this.
I can't even imagine my 12 yr old son shooting a fully automatic weapon. He has shot weapons before, but I won't even let him shoot my .40 cal yet. The biggest gun he has shot so far is a .38 Special. And, you're right, she will live with this the rest of her life. Poor girl.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The biggest question is why in the hell did the instructor not have his hand on the gun?

jeebs

Brand New Member
The biggest question is why in the hell did the instructor not have his hand on the gun?
When I went to shoot automatics the instructor stood so close that his body was basically always touching yours, so you couldn't turn into him

data

Forbes #1
When I went to shoot automatics the instructor stood so close that his body was basically always touching yours, so you couldn't turn into him
it's okay, jeebs, let it out. He can't hurt you anymore.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Insane to put a weapon that hard to control in the hands of a child that small and physically weak. When I was that age I had handled weapons under close supervision, but only a .22 and a .410 single shot. I was in my teens before I fire a 12 gauge or a more powerful rifle.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
That's what crossed my mind as well. With someone her size it's fairly common for an instructor to stand behind the firer and hold their arms so the gun doesn't run on them.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
We don't agree on much, but I think you nailed it with this.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can't even imagine my 12 yr old son shooting a fully automatic weapon. He has shot weapons before, but I won't even let him shoot my .40 cal yet. The biggest gun he has shot so far is a .38 Special. And, you're right, she will live with this the rest of her life. Poor girl.
MURDERER

Top Bottom