6th Round Pick: Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
FWIW - About 13 minutes into the Day 3 Post-Draft Press Conference, McCarthy says he believes that Vaughn can fit into the flow of the Cowboys normal 1st and 2nd down offense.

McCarthy continues: "I think that, stating the obvious, you know, as far as the protection component, you know, we gotta work together there, but there's some very distinct situational thoughts, um, and concepts that I have in mind already -- Randall Cobb-ish type things I've done in the past. So we'll definitely have opportunities for him, um, to take advantage of his productivity. I mean, he's a dynamic player."
Good catch. I had not heard that from McCarthy.

Cobb was used early in his career from the backfield as well as the slot, would average around a carry a game more or less. I am not certain that Vaughn is nearly as polished of a receiver to command over a 100 targets though, which was what Cobb was doing by his second year.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
You keep harping on Vaughn's pass blocking, but where is your evidence that he can't pass block? Do you have some actual plays where you saw him fail at pass blocking? Or are you just assuming based on his size? Because if it's solely based on his size, please stop. I know you're a size queen but you don't actually know. Let's wait for some evidence.
I said he’ll need to pass block if he’s going to be in on many plays at all.

His stature suggests that’s not going to be easy in the NFL so he doesn’t get the benefit of a doubt until he proves it on the field.

My impression of him though is that he is going to try as hard as he can. This kid seems to give 110% as his default.

Sproles built himself up and became a good blocker, so there’s a track record

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Schottenheimer did have Sproles at San Diego, so he should have some idea.
I don't think that has a lot of significance. Sproles' rookie year was the only season the two worked together and Schottenheimer's kid was the QB coach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Is that one of those little helmets we got out of gum ball machines as kids?
I don’t want to see one waving towel emoji from you after he scores his first TD.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Agree he’s a dynamic player and his stride and quickness let’s him adjust on any ball thrown his way. Sproles is the analogy here and if it’s one thing Sproles fought to become a master of it was pass-blocking. Darren weighed 15 more pounds and used that 190lb body packed into a 5’6” frame to deliver sick blocks by the end of his career.

At RB in todays NFL, you can’t have the receiver without the blocking.
I think the kid is a feel good pick but I have doubts about his ability to take the punishment the NFL players are going to give out. I just think he’s a bit too small.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think the kid is a feel good pick but I have doubts about his ability to take the punishment the NFL players are going to give out. I just think he’s a bit too small.
Wes Welker, Tyreek Hill, Darren Sproles and Julian Edelman would like a word.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So I don't care much about height when it comes to RBs. I actually think shorter can be better in a lot of instances. Tall guys run too upright and make for big targets to hit.

So what it really comes down to is weight. I think the guys build is fairly normal for a receiving RB. Meaning if he was 5 inches taller he would probably be in that 200 pound range. If he weighed 200 pounds at 5'5" he would look like a goddamn bowling ball. So what really matters? Is it just pure mass, or is it more about a guys build? Vaughn will be the real test of that. I think he can at least be what Tarik Cohen was his first two years in the league. Of course he totally flamed out after that so maybe that's not a great name to mention. But he was also a similar weight and came from the FCS level. Vaughn is a way more proven college player.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Wes Welker, Tyreek Hill, Darren Sproles and Julian Edelman would like a word.
I knew someone would make the comparison but looking at all of them, Vaughn doesn’t look as stout. I’m rooting for him but he definitely looks like he needs to put on a little weight.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I knew someone would make the comparison but looking at all of them, Vaughn doesn’t look as stout. I’m rooting for him but he definitely looks like he needs to put on a little weight.

I think for certain he'll add 10 or 12 pounds by a year or 2 in, although probably not this off-season.

Top Bottom