5th Round Pick: Asim Richards, OG/OT, North Carolina

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Very solid and unspectacular. I'll be mentally comparing him with Terrence over the years. They are obviously in difference places now, but I suspect the gap will close as this guy gets into an NFL weight room and some solid +coaching.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Very solid and unspectacular. I'll be mentally comparing him with Terrence over the years. They are obviously in difference places now, but I suspect the gap will close as this guy gets into an NFL weight room and some solid +coaching.
and recall Terrence's early days. Talk about rapid improvement.

p1_

DCC 4Life
He's not ready to play this year but the tools are definitely there to be developed by year 2 or 3, we'll see.
preseason will be fun watching these OL.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Maybe we will be actually functional after the first quarter. Ball at OT basically made the offense unwatchable. We have some young guys who can hopefully be better instead. I'm excited to watch them.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He's not ready to play this year but the tools are definitely there to be developed by year 2 or 3, we'll see.
From everything I've seen he is really fundamentally sound and already ahead of some of our current depth.

He mainly needs to build strength. He looks small, honestly in spite of the measurables

p1_

DCC 4Life
Maybe we will be actually functional after the first quarter. Ball at OT basically made the offense unwatchable. We have some young guys who can hopefully be better instead. I'm excited to watch them.
Ball reminded me of Steele's early work.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
From everything I've seen he is really fundamentally sound and already ahead of some of our current depth.

He mainly needs to build strength. He looks small, honestly in spite of the measurables
I think he has pretty good power. He isn't from a random small school. I actually don't think he is that far from being ready. This isn't Waletzko in the fifth or Ball in the fourth. I think he is going to be far more serviceable right away than a lot of guys we have drafted in the past. We will see, but I think he could surprise a little early.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ball reminded me of Steele's early work.
Ball is just not coordinated. His movements are awkward and he stumbles over his own feet. I still can't believe Steele became a real player. He looked really awful early in his career.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Just watched him against Georgia Tech and Notre Dame and long story short, solid against Foskey and White, but I still don't think he'll be anything more than maybe our 8th or 9th best OL this coming year.

You can see why they keep saying they need to "get him stronger" because when he loses it's usually vs. power through his chest which gets him off balance, which Keion White did a few times. Part of it is his hand usage where he basically exposes his chest and goes too wide, but part of it really is just needing to get stronger.

You can see the tools though and the potential if he can develop, he moves well, particularly climbing to the 2nd level in the run game, and when everything is firing on all cylinders he has nice range/foot quickness in his pass pro sets.

I'd be shocked if he's further along this year than someone like Farniok and maybe even Waletzko depending on how much he's improved. I also have a sneaking suspicion that if shit goes haywire we have Peters on speed dial.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Just watched him against Georgia Tech and Notre Dame and long story short, solid against Foskey and White, but I still don't think he'll be anything more than maybe our 8th or 9th best OL this coming year.

You can see why they keep saying they need to "get him stronger" because when he loses it's usually vs. power through his chest which gets him off balance, which Keion White did a few times. Part of it is his hand usage where he basically exposes his chest and goes too wide, but part of it really is just needing to get stronger.

You can see the tools though and the potential if he can develop, he moves well, particularly climbing to the 2nd level in the run game, and when everything is firing on all cylinders he has nice range/foot quickness in his pass pro sets.

I'd be shocked if he's further along this year than someone like Farniok and maybe even Waletzko depending on how much he's improved. I also have a sneaking suspicion that if shit goes haywire we have Peters on speed dial.
The way people rock him when getting hands up high on him is one big thing that has to be squared away and quick if they have big plans for him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yeah, this guy is not our average Josh Ball shot at an mid-late round offensive lineman.

This guy needs development but has real tools. He was a bit inconsistent but there were times at Carolina when he was being called the best offensive lineman on the team.... on a team that has put NFLers out like Charlie Heck (4th round, 2020), Josh Ezeudu (3rd round, 2022) and Marcus McKethan (5th round, 2022).

He might be just "in that range" (3rd-5th) or he might be better than any of them. He could be a plus third rounder or even a second round type value. He was pretty raw and didn't play OL much until college.

He's a very good 5th round pick.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

Yeah, he will need to develop, and he had ups and downs, but the potential is there for sure.

Top Bottom