5 Bucks: Quinn's Scheme A Better Fit For Defense

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
I do hate the hire. Don't like the desire to revert back to the last system. It smells of the Joneses interfering even more then Kellen Moore to me. And I don't see the evidence that Quinn is even a particularly good DC.

Don't know who else because I haven't looked at the other candidates that closely. I think I'd rather have taken a chance on a young guy, though. I also would have preferred the 34 even though that's just personal preference.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Don't like the desire to revert back to the last system. It smells of the Joneses interfering even more then Kellen Moore to me. And I don't see the evidence that Quinn is even a particularly good DC.
Maybe, but this reeks of McCarthy just as much so I don't necessarily buy that this is interference from the Joneses. McCarthy essentially did the same thing in GB when he hired Capers, brought in an accomplished DC with a HC history. My guess is he wants a guy with HC experience who can lead the defense without much supervision.

There's certainly evidence that Quinn is a good DC. You may be skeptical that it's misleading (I am too), but it's there.

Ultimately, this comes down to how much talent we can put on the defense. I'm not asking for a miracle, legit top 5 defense. It would be nice, but even getting into that 15-20 range would be a massive improvement and could be enough to make us serious competitors. I think Quinn can manage that if given some talent to work with.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
My guess is he wants a guy with HC experience who can lead the defense without much supervision.
You may have a really good point here. With Moore being so young and inexperienced, he may have to spend so much time with the offense, that he knows he won't have much time for the defense and needs them to run fairly self-sufficiently.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
You may have a really good point here. With Moore being so young and inexperienced, he may have to spend so much time with the offense, that he knows he won't have much time for the defense and needs them to run fairly self-sufficiently.
And some offensive HCs like to do that anyway. Garrett, Reid, Pederson, etc.

p1_

DCC 4Life
getting into that 15-20 range would be a massive improvement and could be enough to make us serious competitors.
being built upon a strong and diverse offense, this middle ground defense is our approach. Let the offense carry the team, with a defense that doesnt stifle teams but also doesnt get you killed.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Maybe, but this reeks of McCarthy just as much so I don't necessarily buy that this is interference from the Joneses. McCarthy essentially did the same thing in GB when he hired Capers, brought in an accomplished DC with a HC history. My guess is he wants a guy with HC experience who can lead the defense without much supervision.
Maybe, but McCarthy specifically said he didn't want a one-call defense and that's pretty much what we're going for.

And I'm not a "Jerry interferes in everything" guy as much as most. He's a problem, but I don't believe he micromanages every decision like some think. So going right back to the system we had before and to a guy who is the complete opposite of Nolan (philosophically) is a little fishy to me.

That said, I'm sure we can be decent with better personnel. I just don't see much to indicate Quinn will be the difference maker.

p1_

DCC 4Life
so, how many seasons has Quinn logged as a DC, (not as a HC) where his units performed poorly? How has he done as a coordinator in the very same role hes been hired for by Jerr/MM?

Here is the short list body of work:

Hofstra (2000)
Defensive coordinator & defensive line coach

In 2000 Hofstra recorded an 8-3 regular season record and was ranked as high as fourth in the country in I-AA. The Pride received their fourth I-AA Playoff bid and defeated Furman on the road in the opening round before losing to eventual national champions Georgia Southern in the quarterfinals. Hofstra finished the year 9-4 and was ranked seventh in the final I-AA poll by The Sports Network. The Pride ranked 11th in scoring offense, 17th in passing offense, 18th in total offense and 21st in turnover margin in I-AA.

Notes: Raheem Morris as DB coach

Florida (2011–2012)
Defensive coordinator & defensive line coach

2011:

– UF had the second-best 3rd-down defense in the country – and the SEC, with Alabama in first – but did it without a strong pass rush. Its 2.15 sacks per game ranked 44th nationally.

– Although the Gators ranked eighth nationally in total defense, they were fifth in the SEC. Yes, fifth. That’s staggering. They also faced the top five defenses in the country (in order) – Alabama, LSU, South Carolina, Florida State and Georgia.

While first-year coach Will Muschamp didn’t call plays on the defense, leaving that to coordinator Dan Quinn, his involvement once again led to a top-1o finish in total defense. In his eight years as a defensive coordinator at BCS schools before coming to Florida, Muschamp’s defenses finished in the top 10 six times.

Florida Football: Muschamp's Gators May Have Best Defense in SEC in 2012
Kevin King
August 4, 2012

Last season's 7-6 record (2011) doesn't really match up with how well Florida's defense played. The Gator's allowed an average of only 300 yards per game in 2011. According to the NCAA, the Florida defense ranked eighth nationally.

The won-loss record from 2011 may make the glory seasons of 2008 and 2009 appear to be long ago. But from a defensive perspective, this team is close—very close to championship caliber.

The 2008 team allowed only 15 yards per game less and the '09 group 47 less. In comparing last year's results from the championship years, the most notable difference is in rushing yards allowed and turnover differential.

Last year, the Gators allowed an average of 133 rushing yards per game, while the '08 and '09 teams averaged 100 and 105 per game. The 2011 team was -12 in turnover differential, while the '08 team was +22 and the '09 team +7.

The difference in points allowed is seven or eight more, depending on which year you compare to 2011. Simply put, the difference in the 2011 Gator defense and two-championship caliber defenses of the recent past is a few less turnovers, along with allowing about 8 more yards rushing per quarter—that's it.

Being this close helps explain how the defense can get to SEC's best this season.

Florida runs a type of 3-4 defense. The most notable difference is in the buck linebacker / defensive end hybrid. This is a basically a linebacker who will at times line up at the end position.

This puts an additional player on the line, like the 4-3. Coach Muschamp tries to get the offense behind in down and distance situations by stuffing the run on early downs.

Often, the buck lineman will be on the line of scrimmage, playing much like a 4-3 lineman during the early downs. When they get the opponent in a third and long situation, the defense likes to bring creative blitzes to force turnovers or at least punts.

The defensive line returning this year is rated in the top five in the SEC by Lindy's and Athlon and ranked No. 2 nationally by Phil Steele.

At the time of Steele's ranking, he included Ronald Powell. He did note that Powell had an injury (ACL) in spring but would return eventually. Backing up the star-studded starters are a group of very highly-touted recruits, pushing for playing time.

All six of the top linebackers return this year. This group is very talented, deep and now, experienced. They should only improve from last season's performance.

The secondary, easily the unit that struggled most last season, returns six players that have eight or more starts from 2011. Why is this so good if the unit struggled the most last year?

Because the reason for the struggles wasn't talent. It was inexperience.

Now, the unit has talent, depth, experience and hungry young recruits pushing for time on the field. This will be one of the most improved secondaries in the country in 2012.

Florida doesn't have any area that one can call a weakness or concern. They enter the fall workouts with a defense that should compete for the top spot in the SEC. If the offense finds itself and helps just a bit more than 2011, the Gators may find themselves in Atlanta for a game in early December.

Players drafted into the NFL

Round Pick Player Position NFL Club

1 23 Sharrif Floyd DT Minnesota Vikings
1 32 Matt Elam S Baltimore Ravens
2 50 Jon Bostic LB Chicago Bears
4 104 Jelani Jenkins LB Miami Dolphins
6 169 Josh Evans S Jacksonville Jaguars

Seattle Seahawks (2013–2014)
Defensive coordinator

Revisiting the Dominance of the 2013 Seahawks' Defense
Allowing less than 10 points in seven games, including a Super Bowl XLVIII beatdown of the Broncos, the Seahawks boasted arguably the most talented, deepest defense in NFL history.

2013 season
The Legion of Boom had a banner year in 2013. In the regular season, they allowed the fewest passing yards and passing touchdowns in the league[15] while anchoring the league's best passing defense as well as overall defense. Sherman finished first in the league with eight interceptions.[37] Seattle finished the season with the most interceptions in the NFL.[38] Sherman and Thomas were named first-team AP All-Pro, while Chancellor was named to the second team.[39] Sherman, Chancellor, and Thomas were also named to the 2014 Pro Bowl, but did not play due to the Seahawks playing in Super Bowl XLVIII. In their rout of the Denver Broncos, they held Peyton Manning and the record-setting Broncos offense to only eight points, intercepting Manning twice, forcing two fumbles, and playing a major part in securing the first Super Bowl championship in franchise history.

In a Week 10 revenge game against the Atlanta Falcons, Seattle allowed 10 points and 226 yards in a 33–10 win. Thurmond would force and recover a fumble in the win.

Week 11 brought the Minnesota Vikings to Seattle, who managed 336 yards and 20 points, but turned it over 4 times. Thurmond returned an interception 29 yards for a touchdown in the 41–20 win.

In Week 13, in a Monday Night Football game against the New Orleans Saints, the Seahawks faced off against the eventual #2 ranked passing attack in the league. They held the Saints to 188 yards in a 34–7 blowout.

In Week 15, the Seahawks shut the New York Giants out, winning 23–0. It was one of the best games of the season for the Legion of Boom, the Giants managing just 181 yards of offense and turning it over 5 times. Byron Maxwell had two interceptions, as did Richard Sherman. Sherman also tipped a pass to Earl Thomas for an interception. Sherman also recovered a fumble.

The next week, Seattle kept the Arizona Cardinals to 168 total yards and 17 points, forcing 4 turnovers. Sherman had two more interceptions and Chancellor added another. However, the Seahawks would fall 17–10, a late 31–yard touchdown pass from Carson Palmer to Michael Floyd being the difference.

They would close the regular season strong, beating the St. Louis Rams 27–9 and allowing 158 total yards. Byron Maxwell would add an interception and the Rams would not score a touchdown until 4:18 remained in the game, with the game already decided.

In the divisional round, a rematch with the New Orleans Saints, the Saints did not score until early in the 4th quarter, although a late flurry got them 15 points and 409 offensive yards. Of note was the Seahawks holding tight end Jimmy Graham to a single catch for 8 yards. The Seahawks would win 23–15.

For the third time that season, the Seahawks played the San Francisco 49ers. The Niners scored 17 points and gained 308 total yards, but Seattle survived 23–17 after forcing turnovers on all three of the 49ers' fourth-quarter possessions. Kam Chancellor picked off a pass to set up a field goal, and Richard Sherman tipped a pass to Malcolm Smith to clinch the game with less than 30 seconds left. This play and the immediate aftermath became infamous, for a brief shoving match between Sherman and 49ers wide receiver Michael Crabtree, Sherman's choke sign at QB Colin Kaepernick that he was later fined for, and his post-game rant in an interview with Erin Andrews.

The Seahawks saved their best for last with their performance in Super Bowl XLVIII, holding the Denver Broncos record-breaking offense to 306 yards and 8 points, forcing 4 turnovers and not allowing a score until the final play of the 3rd quarter. Kam Chancellor intercepted one pass and Byron Maxwell forced a fumble.

The 2013 Seahawks allowed just one 300-yard passer, Matt Schaub in Week 5, and a second in the divisional round against Drew Brees. Eleven times in the regular season they held an opposing quarterback to less than 200 yards passing, then did it once more in the NFC Championship game. The team's 28 interceptions were most in the league, and 16 passing touchdowns allowed the second fewest.[40]

On June 6, 2014, Richard Sherman won the Madden NFL 15 cover vote against Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton.[41] The rest of the LOB was featured on the games start menu.

2014 season
During the 2014 season, the Legion of Boom helped their team reach their second straight Super Bowl, which ended in a loss to the New England Patriots, 28–24. Thomas, Chancellor, and Sherman were selected to the 2015 Pro Bowl, marking the second year in a row in which all three were named to the Pro Bowl together. Thomas and Sherman were again named first-team All-Pro while Chancellor was named to the second-team.

The Seahawks again allowed the fewest points in the NFL, the first NFL defense to accomplish this three seasons in a row since the 1969–1971 Minnesota Vikings.[42] They also allowed the fewest yards, becoming the first defense since the 1985–1986 Chicago Bears to allow the fewest points and yards two seasons in a row. They allowed the fewest passing yards and passing touchdowns, though they ranked 20th in interceptions.

In Week 1, the Green Bay Packers scored 16 points and gained 255 yards in a 36–16 victory by the Seahawks. Byron Maxwell, now the full-time starter at left corner after Brandon Browner's departure, intercepted a pass in the game.

In Week 3, a rematch against the Denver Broncos, Seattle allowed 332 yards and 20 points, eventually winning 26–20 in overtime. Kam Chancellor forced a fumble and intercepted a pass.

In Week 8, another trip to play the Carolina Panthers saw the Seattle defense allow 9 points and 266 yards, just enough for the 13–9 win. Marcus Burley, a 5th corner forced into action due to injuries, was the key member of the Legion on the day with an interception and 24-yard return.

In Week 9, the visiting Oakland Raiders scored 17 points on offense with 226 yards of total offense. Sherman intercepted his first pass of the season and also forced a fumble.

In Week 12, with the season on the line, the Seahawks beat the Arizona Cardinals 19–3. Allowing 3 points and 204 yards, the game featured a Byron Maxwell interception and Jeremy Lane forced fumble. This game began a six-game hot-streak for the Seahawks, particularly on defense, which would give up an average of 6.5 points for the remainder of the year and allow fewer than 250 total yards in all six games.

In Week 13, they allowed 3 points and 164 total yards in another 19–3 victory, this against the San Francisco 49ers. Sherman had two interceptions.

In Week 14, against a Philadelphia Eagles offense that would eventually rank third in the league in points and fifth in yards, the Seahawks gave up 139 yards and 14 points. Tharold Simon picked off his first pass of the season and Earl Thomas recovered a fumble. The Seahawks won, 24–14.

In another tilt against the 49ers in Week 15, San Francisco had 245 yards and 7 points in the 17–7 loss.

In a game that would likely decide the NFC West division, the Seahawks traveled to play the Arizona Cardinals. The Seahawks won 35–6, holding Arizona to 216 yards and the 6 points. Sherman grabbed the only turnover of the game, intercepting a pass and returning it 53 yards.

To close out their run, the Seahawks beat the St. Louis Rams 20–6, giving up 245 yards. The game was sealed on an Earl Thomas forced fumble at the goal line.

2014 postseason
Seattle surrendered 362 yards in the divisional-round game against the Carolina Panthers, as well as 17 points. Kam Chancellor sealed the game with an interception that he took 90 yards for a touchdown. He also twice leaped over the center on field-goal tries in attempts to block the kick, although he missed the ball both times and both plays were whistled dead by a penalty. Richard Sherman recorded an interception as well, and Earl Thomas forced a fumble. Seattle won, 31–17.

In an improbable "miracle" comeback against the Green Bay Packers in the NFC Championship game, the Seahawks scored 15 points in the final 2:09 of regulation and winning on a 35-yard touchdown reception by Jermaine Kearse in overtime. Sherman and Maxwell each recorded an interception in the game. The Seahawks offense and special teams turned the ball over five times in the game, but the defense forced overtime, and the 28–22 victory sent the Seahawks to a second straight Super Bowl.

The 2014 Seahawks defense did not allow a single 300-yard passer in any game, regular season or postseason, heading into the Super Bowl. Ten times they held the opposing quarterback to under 200 yards passing, doing it an 11th time against MVP Aaron Rodgers in the NFC Championship game.[43]

The Legion of Boom returned to defend their title in Super Bowl XLIX, they recorded two interceptions facing Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, by cornerback Jeremy Lane and linebacker Bobby Wagner. Starting nickelback Jeremy Lane suffered a gruesome injury during the game. After intercepting Tom Brady's pass in the end-zone and attempting to return the ball downfield, Lane was tackled awkwardly while attempting to brace himself for impact with the ground, severely fracturing his wrist and forearm, while simultaneously damaging the ACL in his knee. Unfortunately, backup nickelback Marcus Burley had been listed as inactive, so Lane was replaced by backup outside cornerback Tharold Simon for the remainder of the game. Simon, seemingly overmatched, was outplayed by slot receiver Julian Edelman and repeatedly targeted by Tom Brady, fostering an unlikely Patriots' 4th-quarter comeback. Lane later said he immediately was sent to surgery to fix his injury, and when he woke up he saw the Seahawks with the ball on the one yard line and witnessed the interception that followed. Defensive end Cliff Avril was also injured during the game, he left during the 3rd quarter due to a concussion and did not return. Despite having a torn ligament in his elbow sustained during the NFC Championship Game, Richard Sherman played the entire game, as did Earl Thomas, even though he dislocated his shoulder during the game. In addition, Kam Chancellor suffered a bruised knee during pre-game practice, but also played. Some point to all these injuries as the cause of the 28 points that the Seahawks allowed to the Patriots, which was unusual for a defense that only allowed an average of 15.9 points during the regular season (first in the NFL). The main focus following the game, however, was the coaching staff's decision to throw the ball on the one yard line instead of allowing Marshawn Lynch to run the ball. Lynch led the league (tied with DeMarco Murray) in running touchdowns that season and was fourth in total rushing yardage.

Their defeat in Super Bowl XLIX was the first time all season that the Legion of Boom allowed a 300-yard passer. It was only the second time in the 2014 season that they allowed more than two passing touchdowns in one game, and the only time they allowed four passing touchdowns. The Legion of Boom has given up 300 or more passing yards in only six games since their inception with Richard Sherman's first start in 2011; of those six, two are their games against the New England Patriots. The LOB went 2-1 in their meeting with the Patriots with their only loss against them coming in the Super Bowl (wins in 2012 and 2016).

----------------------------------------------------------------

All things considered, he's pretty damn good DC. I expect considerable and measurable performance from our defense, assuming a concerted and genuine talent infusion.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
being built upon a strong and diverse offense, this middle ground defense is our approach. Let the offense carry the team, with a defense that doesnt stifle teams but also doesnt get you killed.
20 would be a fail IMO, especially given how crappy our division has been lately

• Props
Reactions: p1_
Top Bottom