2nd Round Pick: Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah, I guess that he didn't move well enough. I think we laymen always overrate size and underrate quick feet and agility. If you can't get in position it doesn't matter how big and strong you are.
I think it's more that ability to peel off and reach those second level blocks. Martin is the master of it. He will block a guy at the line of scrimmage, pass him off to the center and them move to the second level and cut off a LBer. It's the difference between a 2 or 3 yard run and breaking something longer.

That second level block is what the concern with Torrence is.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yea I think Schoonmaker is definitely better than Strange, Latu also went higher than expected and was arguably a reach at the end of the 3rd so TE's were just flying off the board.

But I would've been fine kicking the can down the road and taking Payne Durham in the 5th.
I'm totally spitballing here, but I wonder if there's something they don't like about Ferg or Hendershot as much as we think. We assume they love those guys because they outperformed as rookies, but there could be something in their games or even their work ethic they have doubts about. You'd think more likely Hendershot than Ferg, but who knows. I mean Hendy did go undrafted for some reason.

Again, I haven't heard that, not trying to impugn anyone's reputation here, I'm totally guessing. Just trying to figure out why they seemed so intent on a TE. Even if you like Ferg plenty, maybe you think you have to have two quality TEs for 2-TE sets and depth.

p1_

DCC 4Life
something tells me Poon might a better blocker than Ferg.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Watching more video of him, you can see he's much faster than Ferguson. It's not just a 40, he plays fast, almost like an oversized WR.

I think the reason he doesn't look athletic and that RAS surprised some of us is he doesn't do much after the catch. Where Kincaid ran like a Kittle type madman after the catch, Luke just kind of goes in a straight line and gets what's there, doesn't break tackles or overpower people. But he is moving fast to get there in his route and after he gets the ball.

And at least he's not hurt, a headcase, or a project. I bet he contributes a lot more than Bossman Fat. Low bar I admit, just saying I seriously doubt he's a bust. And that's worth something given our history.
He’s definitely going to be the fastest TE we’ve seen with the Cowboys in forever.

shane

DCC 4Life
Above average starter is pretty shitty?

Good damn. People’s expectations are insane.
TE is a low value position.

It’s a bad pick but not catastrophically so. He should help the team. But 4th or 5th round depth TE would have been a better option.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
TE is a low value position.

It’s a bad pick but not catastrophically so. He should help the team. But 4th or 5th round depth TE would have been a better option.
Yea, it's a bad pick because of the opportunity cost of getting a much more impactful player but it's not bad in the sense of risk like Kelvin Joseph was where the guy may wash out of the league within a few years.

He's going to be at least a good TE2, maybe a decent starter, the problem is that his floor is damn near his ceiling so that's about all you're gonna get.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah, I guess that he didn't move well enough. I think we laymen always overrate size and underrate quick feet and agility. If you can't get in position it doesn't matter how big and strong you are.
He also was considered a RG only from some thing I saw.

ZeroClub

UFA
I'm totally spitballing here, but I wonder if there's something they don't like about Ferg or Hendershot as much as we think. We assume they love those guys because they outperformed as rookies, but there could be something in their games or even their work ethic they have doubts about. You'd think more likely Hendershot than Ferg, but who knows. I mean Hendy did go undrafted for some reason.

Again, I haven't heard that, not trying to impugn anyone's reputation here, I'm totally guessing. Just trying to figure out why they seemed so intent on a TE. Even if you like Ferg plenty, maybe you think you have to have two quality TEs for 2-TE sets and depth.
FWIW - Ferguson and Hendershot, combined, had a grand total of one reception during the playoffs (Ferguson had 1 vs. the Buccaneers). Schultz had a total of 12 receptions across the two games.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I read somewhere today that we cleared his bum shoulders but flunked Washington's knee.

I may have to do some research on this one.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I read somewhere today that we cleared his bum shoulders but flunked Washington's knee.

I may have to do some research on this one.
Didn't even know he had shoulder issues. Knees are something teams always worry about because they can become arthritic. But by the end of Poonmakers rookie contract he will probably have arthritis.

Top Bottom